Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default "Shhh!" Silencer Appreciation Thread

Silencer Cover.jpg

Welcome! But keep it down. You don't want to wake the baby...

She’s one of the DC Universe’s deadliest assassins…and you’ve never heard of her. Super-strong, highly trained, armed with devastating and stealthy meta-human abilities, the Silencer is virtually invincible. Or at least she was. After decades as Leviathan’s chief assassin, Honor Guest put in her time and managed to get out with her skin intact. Now she lives a normal life with a normal family in a normal house on a normal street. But the past has come back to haunt her in the form of her old employer and a deadly new mission...and Talia Al Ghul won’t take no for an answer.

Created by artist John Romita Jr. and writer Dan Abnett as part of DC's New Age of Heros, spinning out of the Dark Knights: Metal event, Honor Guest, the Silencer, is an assassin on a mission.

First preview: http://www.comicosity.com/preview-silencer-1/

Second preview: https://nerdist.com/the-silencer-pre...ics-exclusive/

Current series on Comixology: https://www.comixology.com/The-Silen...JyZWFkY3J1bWJz
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Hey! Honor finally got her own appreciation thread! Nice!

I think it's pretty cool that the DCU finally has a Polynesian superhero (anti-hero?). I enjoyed the first issue so I hope her title sticks around!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Oh heck. I just realized that "you've never heard of her" is a pun.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post

I think it's pretty cool that the DCU finally has a Polynesian superhero (anti-hero?). I enjoyed the first issue so I hope her title sticks around!
    Welcome! I'm really excited that Honor is many things we haven't seen a lot of before. I hope that they don't go the cliche "They killed my family" route - I'd like Honor to stay unique in the world of heroes. I'm also really interested in the whole followup to Leviathan and Talia's plots during Batman Inc thing. Since that never made complete sense to me the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Oh heck. I just realized that "you've never heard of her" is a pun.
    Haha. Now I'm really curious to know who writes the solicit text. I know the writers usually have something to do with it, like Tom King and the lying solicits after the engagement.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Loved issue #1 of The Silencer and really am looking forward to seeing where it goes. I see such potential for a heart wrenching story if they want to go deep with it. Honor also is such a surprisingly likable character. She lived a crazy action hero life and was extremely good at what she did, what is she now? A proud mother valuing her family above all the glory of her past life. So cool and really unusual for modern comic book characters. I also really enjoy how mortal she is. The whole first issue she is really being tested and tried, nearly blacking out in the first fight and getting blown up! Nothing so far is easy for her and I really hope they maintain that vein of the story. Great thread MillerNumber and I'll be keeping up on it...

Just wish the comic was released more than once a month

Also love the CS Lewis quote in your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Supershamu View Post
    Loved issue #1 of The Silencer and really am looking forward to seeing where it goes. I see such potential for a heart wrenching story if they want to go deep with it. Honor also is such a surprisingly likable character. She lived a crazy action hero life and was extremely good at what she did, what is she now? A proud mother valuing her family above all the glory of her past life. So cool and really unusual for modern comic book characters. I also really enjoy how mortal she is. The whole first issue she is really being tested and tried, nearly blacking out in the first fight and getting blown up! Nothing so far is easy for her and I really hope they maintain that vein of the story. Great thread MillerNumber and I'll be keeping up on it...

Just wish the comic was released more than once a month

Also love the CS Lewis quote in your signature
    Hooray! Yes - I love that unusual aspect of Honor's life. I see the potential for real tragedy, though I also hope they avoid going too dark.

The fights are indeed a really strong part of the book! I love how thoughtful she is in her attacks, relying on speed and skill, rather than being able to tank massive hits or just one-punch an enemy. I hope that complexity continues - it's definitely something you don't see often.

(And thanks for the compliment.)

I glanced at this one, not expecting much. I was happy to be proven wrong! I will stick with this title for awhile. Enjoyed the first issue VERy much, and looking forward to many more. Romita Jr. seems well-suited for this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    I glanced at this one, not expecting much. I was happy to be proven wrong! I will stick with this title for awhile. Enjoyed the first issue VERy much, and looking forward to many more. Romita Jr. seems well-suited for this.
    I'm glad they have a plan for the New Age of Heroes, but I hope that the artists they get after the first three issues are as strong, even if they're not as well-known.

I'm a big fan of Romita Jr. since his Spider-Man run with JMS, so it's nice to see him doing strong work almost two decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post

I’m really happy JRJR made her Polynesian. Diversity in pop culture often means adding one black character to a large group of white characters. It’s cool to see other cultures represented.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m really happy JRJR made her Polynesian. Diversity in pop culture often means adding one black character to a large group of white characters. It’s cool to see other cultures represented.
    Agreed. I hope there's texture to her background as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The cool thing too with what they are doing in "the silencer" is building a character of a certain ethnicity that stands on her own as a character, rather than being dependent on the reputation of a character already established. Really this is the way I think diversity should be executed in comics and stories in general. New characters and fresh ideas, building rather than changing. More reasons to give the silencer props.

Quote Originally Posted by Supershamu View Post
    The cool thing too with what they are doing in "the silencer" is building a character of a certain ethnicity that stands on her own as a character, rather than being dependent on the reputation of a character already established. Really this is the way I think diversity should be executed in comics and stories in general. New characters and fresh ideas, building rather than changing. More reasons to give the silencer props.
    I agree that new heroes don't generate the backlash that legacy heroes can, with the whole replacement debate. However, I think creating a space for herself in the League of Assassins/Leviathan is a good way to connect Honor to established stories and ideas, so she's not completely divorced from the world we love. I know that her connection to Talia and Leviathan is definitely part of what engaged me with the first issue!

Totally agree Millernumber, she does seem like she has a place she fits into the world already which is a definite sign of good writing for a new character!

Liked #1 and its certainly refreshing having a polynesian female lead. Cool power and concept, but not sure i'll stick around after JRJR leaves. I'll give it a go, though.

I really enjoyed the first issue, Her Power is cool as well.