Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are some of your favorite "Love Letter" issues?

I think we've all read issues that felt like love letters/statement pieces to specific characters, ideas, periods, relationships, etc, just wondering what some of your favorites are?

A good recent example would be Batman Annual #2, which I felt like was a great love letter to the Batman/Catwoman relationship.

Another example from the distinguished competition is Spec Spidey #310

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Ooh, I like this thread. Great idea.

Well Identity Crisis was a love letter to the Silver Age. (Even though it focused on the Bronze Age League) When I think of DC Love Letter I don't think positive.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Well Identity Crisis was a love letter to the Silver Age. (Even though it focused on the Bronze Age League) When I think of DC Love Letter I don't think positive.
    Oof, yeah Identity Crisis was much more like a breakup song than a love letter.

I'll toss another one out there, even if I don't remember the issue. While I am generally more DickFire than DickBabs, that BoP issue with them on the trapeze is the closest I've ever felt to really buying into them as one of those "iconic" couples like Clark and Lois.

Convergence Birds of Rage is another one focused on Oracle and Nightwing, and with backup from Black Canary.

Convergence: New Teen Titans.
    Even Didio was reported to be in shock that someone actually liked the characters.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Even Didio was reported to be in shock that someone actually liked the characters.
    I'll also throw in Convergence: Titans. It was so heartwarming to see Roy and Lian reunited. Convergence while the event was eh, the tie-ins had so many one and dones that felt so good to read.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

Identity Crisis was a Dear John letter.

The one that immediately comes to mind is "Dear Mom and Dad," THE NEW TEEN TITANS 20 (June 1982) and also "A Day in the Lives . . ." THE NEW TEEN TITANS 8 (June 1981).

Also, "Mighty One," KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH 29 (May 1975) and "Costume, Costume--Who's Got the Costume?" SUPERMAN 295 (January 1976).

And "Celebration," SUPERBOY & THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 247 (January 1979), plus "The Future is Forever," LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 300 (June 1983).

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Wally actually had two very good comic love letters recently.

One was the Rebirth special. Very heart warming and a (false) hope of all to come. The second one was the recent Flash #51 by Williamson. Also very well written but just a final farewell and leading into all the crap that is happening now.

But the issues themselves, despite what they lead into, were very, very good issues.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Identity Crisis was a Dear John letter.

The one that immediately comes to mind is "Dear Mom and Dad," THE NEW TEEN TITANS 20 (June 1982) and also "A Day in the Lives . . ." THE NEW TEEN TITANS 8 (June 1981).

Also, "Mighty One," KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH 29 (May 1975) and "Costume, Costume--Who's Got the Costume?" SUPERMAN 295 (January 1976).

And "Celebration," SUPERBOY & THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 247 (January 1979), plus "The Future is Forever," LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 300 (June 1983).
    I think I'd probably add Teen Titans #50, the wedding issue.
    The comic was simply a 'day in the life' issue, and double-sized at that, with everything being relationship focused.
    The visit from Hippolyta being the most impressive.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

Another Superman that I would add is "Who Was That Dog I Saw You With Last Night?" SUPERMAN 287 (May 1975). The story title is a play on an old joke from a stand-up routine, but it reminds me of the title from one of my many old Peanuts paperbacks: WHO WAS THAT DOG I SAW YOU WITH, CHARLIE BROWN?

There was also the two Green Arrow/Black Canary stories that led up to that dog yarn--"Little Lost Dog"/"The Mystery of the Wandering Dog" in ACTION COMICS 440 (October 1974) and 441 (November 1974).

The entirety of Starman is a love letter to the golden age and also about legacy as well. To me, it doesn’t get any better than that.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Ah this is a great one, very much agreed.

Another poster mentioned Rebirth, which is an interesting one to me because DC set the bar super high for itself. That issue really felt like a big "I love the DCU, ever inch of it" sign.

Retired

Actually, the first comic I think of, that was so often a love letter to the fans, is Stever Gerber's HOWARD THE DUCK. But that's Marvel, so I couldn't use it here. And Gerber only did a few odd things for DC (all good), but I'd say the 1982 PHANTOM ZONE mini-series was a love letter, especially in how Steve pulled out a half-forgotten character from 1962, Quex-Ul aka Charlie Kweskill, and re-purposed him for this story--plus many other good old creations from the Weisinger era.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

George Perez' Wonder Woman #62 and Phil Jimenez' #170.

Both love letters to Diana, and how she effects the world around her.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES