Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

The solicitation for issue 15 in March is really great for several reasons :
    -There will be at least 16 issues of The Silencer
    -We'll get to learn more about Honor's past
    -Blake may learn the truth about his wife

2019 can't arrive soon enough

THE SILENCER #15
    written by DAN ABNETT
    cover by TYLER KIRKHAM
    “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” part two! Has Blake finally discovered Honor’s terrible secret—that she is actually the assassin known as the Silencer?! Oh man, this poor guy is in for a world of hurt as the discovery he never saw coming escalates to terrifying new levels. Plus, in the secret genetic experimentation lab of Jonah Nine, the Silencer uncovers her own horrific discovery—the truth of her origin. So why is Talia more hurt by this than Honor?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm very curious about whether there's an endgame. Also...what's up with no artist listed?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

On DC website's it the same artists than for issues 13 and 14.

As for a endgame... jow that's a good question. I think there is and we are fast approaching it. My guess is that the series will end at issue 18, with a second annual, so 20 issues in total.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't know how connected to comics Silencer this character will be. The actress is black unlike comics Silencer, who's Polynesian. I also doubt this version will have any powers.
    If they got a Polynesian to play Silencer on arrow they would get a black looking one anyway since the one in comics looks black.
    I keep saying and over again Silencer in comics is a black Polynesian anyway.
    Polynesians are black looking and asian looking types.
    The one in the comics is black looking and i did not even know Silencer was in arrow or IN live action until this week.
    Somebody mention it in another thread.
    Anyway if last year if someone was to say to me would they get a black or asian type to play Silencer in live action i would have told them they would get a black actress to play her.
    I have not kept up with arrow but i need to catch up anyway.

Arrow
    Honor
    Meta-human physiology: According to the FBI files on her; Honor posseses meta-human powers.
    Superhuman strength: Honor is described as "super-strong" in her file.
    "Devastating and stealthy meta-human abilities": Honor possesses additional abilities useful in battle and stealth according to her file (speculatingly, the silence field could be a built-in meta-human power, and the sound dampener device only allows her to control it better).
    https://arrow.fandom.com/wiki/Honor
    Last edited by mace11; 12-26-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    She probably doesn't have Super Strength but instead peak human strength like Captain America. She did hold a light post like it was nothing so she does have some type of strength.

Want Honor to kick Deathstroke ass.
    Silencer in comics has peak human strength.
    https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Honor_Guest_(Prime_Earth)

Captain america in the comics a few times had low level super strength in 616.
    In the Ultimates marvel comics he has super strength and in the mcu.

Steven Rogers (Earth-1610)
    Superhuman Strength: Captain America's physical strength is enhanced to superhuman levels. He is strong enough to lift at least 2-5 tons and much more if he pushes. Nick Fury stated that Steve could "bench-press a Toyota". He has been able to perform feats throughout his career such as stopping a 10-ton pine tree, which is capable of easily crushing Jeeps, from falling on a group of soldiers,curling 500 kg/1000 lbs,[citation needed] and physically bending metal with his bare hands.
    https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Steven...s_(Earth-1610)

Info for 616 steve.
    https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Steven_Rogers_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by mace11; 12-26-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    If they got a Polynesian to play Silencer on arrow they would get a black looking one anyway since the one in comics looks black.
    I keep saying and over again Silencer in comics is a black Polynesian anyway.
    Polynesians are black looking and asian looking types.
    The one in the comics is black looking and i did not even know Silencer was in arrow or IN live action until this week.
    Somebody mention it in another thread.
    Anyway if last year if someone was to say to me would they get a black or asian type to play Silencer in live action i would have told them they would get a black actress to play her.
    I have not kept up with arrow but i need to catch up anyway.

Arrow
    Honor

https://arrow.fandom.com/wiki/Honor
    Don't you mean Melanesian? Polynesians are of Asian descent and don't look black. Melanesians and Australasians are the only dark skinned racial groups to have natural occurring blonde hair like Honor's. Interestingly, it's a completely different gene sequence than what causes it in people of European descent. They are Pacific Islanders as well, but as a racial group are much older, with a genetic diversity that exceeds Europeans, Native Americans, most mainland Asians, and Polynesians, which indicates that they were part of the same migration event out of Africa as the Australasians that happened 50-100,00+ years ago. They have a genetic diversity that rivals Africans, which is also reflected in their wide range of cultures, languages, and mythologies despite being in a relatively small region. They also have almost no relation genetically to Polynesians, although anthropologists kept trying to lump them together up until about fifty years ago.

I know the fandom wikis all say Polynesian, but let's be honest here, those are terrible resources generally filled with self insert facts and ignoring the original sources and actual history and context.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Don't you mean Melanesian? Polynesians are of Asian descent and don't look black. Melanesians and Australasians are the only dark skinned racial groups to have natural occurring blonde hair like Honor's. Interestingly, it's a completely different gene sequence than what causes it in people of European descent. They are Pacific Islanders as well, but as a racial group are much older, with a genetic diversity that exceeds Europeans, Native Americans, most mainland Asians, and Polynesians, which indicates that they were part of the same migration event out of Africa as the Australasians that happened 50-100,00+ years ago. They have a genetic diversity that rivals Africans, which is also reflected in their wide range of cultures, languages, and mythologies despite being in a relatively small region. They also have almost no relation genetically to Polynesians, although anthropologists kept trying to lump them together up until about fifty years ago.

I know the fandom wikis all say Polynesian, but let's be honest here, those are terrible resources generally filled with self insert facts and ignoring the original sources and actual history and context.
    I thought Honor's hair was dyed? At least, that's what I thought the implication of the flashback scenes was? But maybe I'm just confused.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Don't you mean Melanesian? Polynesians are of Asian descent and don't look black.
    Here is some real life info.

Are Polynesians Black or Asian or both?
    Tahitoa (Jayson) Toefuata, HRM Employee (2013-present)
    Polynesians are just Polynesians! We do have some African and/or Asian roots, but the same as the theory which says that everybody is from Africa. So nothing more to say about it! We, Polynesians, are Polynesians. We don’t care for being more Black or more Asian, etc… We have our own culture, heritage and languages.

If we speak about Polynesians from Pacific Islands, well, some Polynesians may look a bit darker than what people expect, because some of us have mixed with Melanesians or in a smaller amount with Micronesians. A simple example is Fiji. A land where Polynesians and Melanesians mixed a lot, then followed by the British colonisation and the “importation” of Indian immigrants. And it has never been uncommon for Polynesians like Samoans to marry with Fijians. There is something people have a problem to understand and it’s that Polynesians have never found taboo to marry other ethnic groups, especially in the past before the modern world and the European conquest of this region of the world.

A funny and tricky example to show the complexity of trying to put Polynesians in cases is Wallis & Futuna and New Caledonia. Wallis & Futuna is a fully Polynesian territory, currently owned by France. Wallis in Wallisian language (Fakaʻuvea) is Uvea. In New Caledonia there is a bunch of 3 big islands which formed the Loyalty Islands Province. One of those 3 islands is called Ouvea Island, or simply Uvea. Yeah, it’s the same name as the part of the Polynesian kingdom from Wallis & Futuna while Ouvea Island is a part of New Caledonia, a Melanesian land.

In addition, the Wallisian language called Wallisian (Fakaʻuvea) is far much closer to Faga Ouvea (Fagauvea), the language of people on Ouvea Island than any Kanak languages. Kanaks being the Melanesians of New Caledonia.
    Now if people want to refer about Polynesians in Hawaii or in the USA, it’s simply because Polynesians are one of the ethnic groups who cares the less for the ethnicity when they marry someone else.

Inside the silly US statistics Asians & Pacific Islanders, Pacific Islanders are the ones who marry the most African-Americans, for example. That’s nothing more complicated to explain some darker skin colours.

In Hawaii, it’s only because Polynesians have faced an ethnocide (overall a genocide) from the US colonisation with the help of Asian immigrants, so people should just educate themselves a bit more to understand that most people in Hawaii aren’t Native Hawaiians, so Polynesians.

So I know it has been very common for people to try to put everybody in a case, and we have even seen people trying to mix Pacific Islanders, so Polynesians, with Filipinos, but Polynesians are just Polynesians! And if Polynesians have to be close to someone else, it would be to other Pacific Islanders, so Melanesians and Micronesians. That’s it. Nothing more.
    Are Polynesians Black or Asian or both?
    Black, yes. African, no. Papuans/Melanesians are Black but have no African DNA as they have been separated from Africans for over 40,000 years. In fact, Melanesians are closer to Asians and Europeans than Africans despite
    phenotype.
    In terms of Polynesian people in general, they are a mixture of different waves of migrations into the Pacific. Mitochondrial DNA (DNA from mothers) shows that Polynesians are 70/30 % South East Asian/Melanesian. However, the Y DNA (DNA from father to son) shows the opposite. In some cases, 100% of the Y DNA show Melanesian/Papuan descent.

What does this mean? In theory, the first voyagers came from Asia and into Melanesia. From there, successive waves of immigration of different people also made the voyage. With SE Asians being a matrilineal society, the women mated with Melanesian men. The result of this interracial communion were the Polynesians.

Evidence can be seen in the Polynesian phenotype. There are some that look more Asian and then there are those that look like light skinned Blacks with kinky hair texture that is not seen in Asians. Look at Samoan rugby player Iosia Soliola or the Wild Samoans from the WWF.

The Hawaiian Monarchy such as David Kalakaua, Kamehameha 2, Queen Liliuokalani also look Blasian. There's also Willie K, a singer from Hawaii who also looks Black. Nowadays, there are very few actual Native Hawaiians let alone pure blood. Most people in Hawaii, even if they refer to themselves as Hawaiian, are actually Asian.

Here are some articles/journals/books that go in better detail.
    Melanesian origin of Polynesian Y chromosomes (2000)
    A Polynesian Motif on the Y Chromosome: Population Structure in Remote Oceania (2007)
    Melanesian origin of Polynesian Y chromosomes (2006)
    Like i said some Polynesians look black and are black.
    I did not say most look black or most are black.
    Anyway in the comics silencer is racially black.
    She is a black asian.
    She does not look racially asian.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Who would’ve thought Silencer and Damage would be the last ones standing? Glad Honor has managed to stay alive for so long in today’s market. If she can get 25 issues that would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Who would’ve thought Silencer and Damage would be the last ones standing? Glad Honor has managed to stay alive for so long in today’s market. If she can get 25 issues that would be amazing.
    I must admit it wasn't what I expected but I won't lie, I'm really happy about it. Hopefully, DC will do what Marvel does and relaunch the ongoing titles (Sideways, The Unexpected, Damage, The Silencer, Curse of Brimstone, The Terrifics, even Immortal Men) sooner rather than later. I think all those characters should have another chance to shine, now that their mythos have been established.

Preview for this week issues : http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...w-silencer-12/

I really love the art, and I can't wait to see what'll happen to Honor and her family now.