Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Golden Era for Green Lantern?

I've never gone back any further than the late 80s with my GL reading. Is there a particular era of GL comics that you think are awesome? I know that it probably depends on how old you are and when you started first reading them.

The Gil Kane run from #1 to #75 was classic... The art was basic compared to today’s, but it was still fantastic and so was the writing.
    Then you had Adams and O’Neil’s famous and groundbreaking run from #76 to #89.
    There was a break for a few years then until it came back with #90 with O’Neil again writing with Mike Grell doing art, for me this is my favourite era as this was when I started buying comics... It continues imo to be a strong title but starts to lose its way a bit pre-crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    The Gil Kane run from #1 to #75 was classic... The art was basic compared to today’s, but it was still fantastic and so was the writing.
    Then you had Adams and O’Neil’s famous and groundbreaking run from #76 to #89.
    There was a break for a few years then until it came back with #90 with O’Neil again writing with Mike Grell doing art, for me this is my favourite era as this was when I started buying comics... It continues imo to be a strong title but starts to lose its way a bit pre-crisis.
    Great response. I'd include some more modern stories too. Johns is not always great but when he's on, he's really something. GL Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War are must-reads and I feel the same about Blackest Night. I'd read everything that Geoff Johns did with Hal.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I've never gone back any further than the late 80s with my GL reading. Is there a particular era of GL comics that you think are awesome? I know that it probably depends on how old you are and when you started first reading them.
    Thanks for saving me the trouble of making my usual disclaimer!

That said, my personal Golden Era is the one that started with the issue in my avatar. Or more accurately, with the two Emerald Dawn mini series'.
    I know this era ranks pretty low on most people's lists, but again, it's when I met the character and the mythos, and what made me love it.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Great response. I'd include some more modern stories too. Johns is not always great but when he's on, he's really something. GL Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War are must-reads and I feel the same about Blackest Night. I'd read everything that Geoff Johns did with Hal.
    I loved what Johns did for Green Lantern and Hal Jordan... Of all of DC’s major events, Blackest Night is my favourite.
    The writing and the art on Johns run was as good as it gets, Brightest Day was an anti-climax after Blackest Night, but it still had its good points... It’s just that it was never going to be as good as what had preceded it.
    In fairness even now HJGLC is a really good comic, it’s sad that DC seem like that they don’t really give a toss about the franchise that much anymore.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    I loved what Johns did for Green Lantern and Hal Jordan... Of all of DC’s major events, Blackest Night is my favourite.
    The writing and the art on Johns run was as good as it gets, Brightest Day was an anti-climax after Blackest Night, but it still had its good points... It’s just that it was never going to be as good as what had preceded it.
    In fairness even now HJGLC is a really good comic, it’s sad that DC seem like that they don’t really give a toss about the franchise that much anymore.
    That might not be the case for much longer. Robert Venditi's run on Green Lantern is about to end. It's a good time to bring in some serious creative staff and move the franchise forward. There are rumours that a major shake-up is on the way. Only rumours but DC aren't about to let the series flag for so long sales wise without attempting to correct that.

Your list above is a very good one. I second those recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

That said, my personal Golden Era is the one that started with the issue in my avatar. Or more accurately, with the two Emerald Dawn mini series'.
    I know this era ranks pretty low on most people's lists, but again, it's when I met the character and the mythos, and what made me love it.
    Wow me too! I saw the cover of the first issue of Emerald Dawn and immediately was intrigued. That was the first comic I ever bought!

BANNED

The best string of issues were Vol. 1, #188-223, Action Comics Weekly, and Vol 2, #1-24. That period from 1986 to 1992 included the two Emerald Dawn minis.

Oddly enough, the comic's quality dropped off noticeably when Kevin Dooley took over as editor.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-21-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

There are a lot of good GL era's.

GL volume 1. Issues #1-#50.
    Probably one of my favorite runs in comics in general, and I'm currently reading them and I'm in my 20's and I'm still loving them. LOL. Great, fun stories that were way ahead of it's time by John Broome with great art by the legend Gil Kane. But Once Hal leaves Coast City it kinda goes downhill from there.

Kyle's run is also good. GL volume 2 issues 51-125. That's when Ron Marz leaves.

And of course John's run is amazing as well.

Venditti's current Rebirth run is also pretty solid.

It’s gotta be the Geoff Johns era for me. Particularly that pre-Flashpoint time period between 2004-2011. I loved that entire era, but it was during that particular period where the entire line was at its best.
    Last edited by Batmaniac; 03-21-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Green Lantern: Rebirth to Blackest Night is a golden era in my opinion.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Green Lantern: Rebirth to Blackest Night is a golden era in my opinion.
    I think that era was the second best, after the era I mentioned. Anyone who is going to write the comic can read those two eras and be in good shape. I'm not a fan of the Warrior comic but Beau Smith did a good job with Guy's characterization and dialogue, so I'd recommend reading that too.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-21-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

For me Golden Era was from Rebirth to Sinestro Corps War (just like his work on JSA Geoff peaked then tailed off); the Silver Era was Gerard Jones run; how he ran a book with 3 leads with each lead getting an arc, which was so good it grew a book from cancelled to 3.5 separate titles (the GLCQuarterly being the half). Bronze for me was Mike Grell drawn era, who drew the book in my youth. Vendetti is the anti Johns (who started on fire and tapered off) Vendetti's beginning sucked but he has continually gotten better, the HJ&tGLC has only improved.

How come nobody is mentioning

as the "Golden" Era?

Astonishing Member

Best is yet to come.

(but Englehart's run is incredible, if truncated)