Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What are DC's plans with the Green Lantern franchise?

Keep in mind this is not necessarily what you want DC to do with the GL titles, but rather what you think their plans might be.

Will they stick with the same split between Simon & Jess in one twice monthly book on Earth & Sector 2814 while Hal, John, Guy & Kyle run around space with the twice monthly GLCorps? Or will they change things up?

DC will likely keep pushing Simon & Jess for at least the next couple of years. Presumably one of them will be on one of the various Justice League teams once all the dust settles. I'm not convinced they necessarily need to have a twice monthly comic to themselves, though. With so many Earth GLs with large fanbases, it makes more sense to share the spotlight more evenly.

As for the veteran GLs? I can see Hal, John or both getting spots on a League, too. If DC is going to have any trades to put together in time for their movie, they need to start putting together more stories focusing on their relationship. However, given the complete lack of Shazam comics in the past few years, perhaps that level of planning on DC's part is hopelessly optimistic.

It's a shame that John, Guy & Kyle have been stuck in space for more than a decade now. Surely, with Bendis at DC, a revival of the JLI team could be interesting. Giffen & DeMatties have put the band back together enough times now, it might be interesting to see a fresh pair of eyes on the idea of a more comedic-based League with Guy, Ted, Booster, Fire & Ice at its core. Similarly, I would love to see Wally, Kyle and a Rebirthed Connor Hawke back together doing something. Presumably, Connor's backstory as Ollie's son can be reworked as being from a potential future 20 years from now or something so Ollie gets to stay young and marketable.

Any ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Keep in mind this is not necessarily what you want DC to do with the GL titles, but rather what you think their plans might be.

Will they stick with the same split between Simon & Jess in one twice monthly book on Earth & Sector 2814 while Hal, John, Guy & Kyle run around space with the twice monthly GLCorps? Or will they change things up?

DC will likely keep pushing Simon & Jess for at least the next couple of years. Presumably one of them will be on one of the various Justice League teams once all the dust settles. I'm not convinced they necessarily need to have a twice monthly comic to themselves, though. With so many Earth GLs with large fanbases, it makes more sense to share the spotlight more evenly.

As for the veteran GLs? I can see Hal, John or both getting spots on a League, too. If DC is going to have any trades to put together in time for their movie, they need to start putting together more stories focusing on their relationship. However, given the complete lack of Shazam comics in the past few years, perhaps that level of planning on DC's part is hopelessly optimistic.

It's a shame that John, Guy & Kyle have been stuck in space for more than a decade now. Surely, with Bendis at DC, a revival of the JLI team could be interesting. Giffen & DeMatties have put the band back together enough times now, it might be interesting to see a fresh pair of eyes on the idea of a more comedic-based League with Guy, Ted, Booster, Fire & Ice at its core. Similarly, I would love to see Wally, Kyle and a Rebirthed Connor Hawke back together doing something. Presumably, Connor's backstory as Ollie's son can be reworked as being from a potential future 20 years from now or something so Ollie gets to stay young and marketable.

Any ideas?
    You can't solve a problem until you can admit you've got one.

The biggest problem here is that they've relentlessly depicted Hal as the "greatest" Lantern and then expected the others to be able to sell comics.

The second biggest problem is that they've added two unnecessary Earth Lanterns. It's not a matter of whether Baz and Cruz "should" for ideological reasons get an ongoing or be in the Justice League. The two comics they're appearing in are goners. As often happens, people on message boards said yes, but the market said no.

How can you fix those problems? First, by admitting that they're problems. I'm not sure they can look at the situation objectively enough to do that, and I think Geoff Johns would be the last one to tap out about it, for obvious reasons. But the collapse of your sales is a very effective arm twister. So I think they'll reboot it and focus on those two issues.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-06-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

I think they just need to reboot the whole franchise, really it wasn't until Geoff Johns that there even was much of a Green Lantern franchise. Reboot the series into two main books.

Green Lantern: starring Hal Jordan in his continuing earth-based Adventures as the Green Lantern of sector 2814.

Green Lantern corps: starring basically everybody else.

I actually don't think they'll continue to push Simon and Jessica if you look at sales. And I would think just the direction of the company right now. Green Lanterns reminds me of like the new 52 era and just doesn't fit with the current lineup
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    You can't solve a problem until you can admit you've got one.

The second biggest problem is that they've added two unnecessary Earth Lanterns. It's not a matter of whether Baz and Cruz "should" for ideological reasons get an ongoing or be in the Justice League. The two comics they're appearing in are goners. As often happens, people on message boards said yes, but the market said no.
    this would be more like the first biggest problem for me. But I agree with all your points here. And with the JSA or the legion probably coming back, I just don't think there's enough room in the DC you right now for all these lanterns.
    There's just quite simply too many lanterns

The question for me is what they'll do with the green arrow franchise, which Imo is in the worst shape of any major DC character
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

As my favourite lantern is John it's sad that he's been relegated to space for so long. I doubt DC will abandon Simon and Jess right now though, it wouldn't be a good move to get rid the only female lantern. If anything I think DC will continue with things as they are now at least until the no justice event which I suspect is linked to the lanterns. After no justice hopefully we get a more even split, the lanterns are definitely capable of carrying more than one title so cutting the line down would be a waste of potential.

Astonishing Member

I doubt DC has any hard plans to be honest aside from push the characters in weird ways and hope something sticks.

Kyle! lost his White Lantern powers and gets to kill his own (future) son and get slapped by his technically still nothing but an ex!

Hal has...made his own ring? That's special apparently.

Guy...is Guy.

John gets to look around and look very commanding and lead the Corps

Jessica and Simon are the big ? marks. I'm not even sure if the duo can b e split up at this point so much of them is playing off one another now. Guess we'll see if Simon gets to kill Sinestro and lead the Sinestro Corps after all.

It needs a shake up, that’s obvious, but DC don’t seem particularly bothered about it.
    There isn’t a comic actually called Green Lantern at the moment, so I think having one called it be the first step... Hal would be the main character, that’s not to stop other Lanterns showing up regularly, and hopefully it’ll bring Hal back to Earth.
    A second book simply called the Green Lantern Corps would logically be the other one, I’d personally prefer a Green Lantern Family type book as the second one, with more pages so they could do two stories in each... but that not likely.
    Not sure which Lanterns are going to be in which Justice League, am not to keen on what they’re planning for that title and I don’t see it lasting particularly long in the planned format...

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps is one of the best book since Rebirth started.
    I don't know what Dc has in mind for GL franchise, I only know that everywhere Guy and Kyle would go, I'll be there.

BANNED

Batman and Green Lantern were the only two properties that didn't get rebooted in the New 52. I agree with the decision to leave Batman alone. It was and remains too successful to wipe clean. But Green Lantern really needs it at this point.

And it needs to be emphasized in the reboot that anything that made Hal, Guy, John and Kyle look bad in the past DIDN'T HAPPEN. Otherwise, what's the point of a reboot?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Any ideas?
    I honestly have no clue what DC will do.

I don't see them getting rid of Simon & Jess.

However, it makes sense that Hal returns to Earth for solo adventures, and as a member of the JL.

Like you mentioned, it really makes sense for DC to start pairing Hal & John up for cinematic purposes. However, I don't think DC really cares too much about John.

I think a GLC book without Hal would work.

Perhaps one book features Hal, Jess, & Simon on Earth. The other book features cosmic adventures staring John Guy, Kyle, Kilowog, Arisia, and a returning Katma (more of a pipe dream on my part).

Green Lanterns: Get's rebranded and will now star Hal Jordan and John Stewart in space adventures, to prepare us for the GLC film.

Green Lantern Corps: Focuses on Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz and multiple alien lanterns doing Corps missions...etc

JL: Jessica Cruz remains on Earth as a JL member, either with the JL or JLA. Guy rejoins the JLI.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    I think they just need to reboot the whole franchise, really it wasn't until Geoff Johns that there even was much of a Green Lantern franchise. Reboot the series into two main books.

Green Lantern: starring Hal Jordan in his continuing earth-based Adventures as the Green Lantern of sector 2814.

Green Lantern corps: starring basically everybody else.

I actually don't think they'll continue to push Simon and Jessica if you look at sales. And I would think just the direction of the company right now. Green Lanterns reminds me of like the new 52 era and just doesn't fit with the current lineup
    This would just make me angry! Yeah let's just give Hal his own book with JL membership and just stick everyone else in the same book... Makes sense right? Please...

If you think DC is going to stop pushing Simon and Jessica, especially the latter, then I have no idea what to tell you, other than it's not going to happen. Jessica is already appearing in multiple animated series outside of comics (something only Hal and John have done recently). They're not stopping her momentum anytime soon.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 02-06-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Green Lantern- Hal Jordan's Solo adventures bringing him home to Earth.
    Green Lantern Corps: Following Alien Lanterns in space like Kilowog etc with Infrequent Human Lantern appearances.
    Green Lantern and Power Ring: Baz and Jessica Cruz title IN SPACE FAR AWAY FROM EARTH
    JL: John Stewart rejoins with Hal infrequently dropping in and out as a Reserve Member like Batman should do.
    JLA: Kyle Rayner joins
    JLI: Guy Gardner joins
    Last edited by Denirac; 02-06-2018 at 09:40 AM.

BANNED

Jessica has no momentum except what DC gives her. And she's just as good somewhere else as in Green Lantern.

People need to stop talking about JLI. That's not coming back. And if they do try it, it'll flop.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I have no idea what DC is doing with their GL franchise. They're not going to throw Jess and Simon away but who knows. Guy, John, and Kyle might just stay the same.

I just want John away from the Corps and back on Earth and the Corps to focus on the alien members again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Jessica has no momentum except what DC gives her. And she's just as good somewhere else as in Green Lantern.

People need to stop talking about JLI. That's not coming back. And if they do try it, it'll flop.
    Just because you repeatedly say something over and over again doesn't make it true.

We get it, you don't like the new Green Lanterns, that's fine. But don't try and deny that Jessica doesn't have momentum! She has more outside media appearances than Kyle, Guy, Simon and Alan.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!