Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Simon and Jessica have been given nothing for the past two years?

Despite what some of the solicits have been saying, HJ&TGLC, while flawed, has hardly been a book centered around how "great" Hal is. Venditti has been the first writer in recent memory who actually made an effort to write "The Four Corpsmen" as equals.
    And they say it’s a Hal’s book. And some people yell Hal gets too much. Well maybe someday Hal not showing up in his solo at all will finally make these people satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    And they say it’s a Hal’s book. And some people yell Hal gets too much. Well maybe someday Hal not showing up in his solo at all will finally make these people satisfied.
    Well, you can't please everyone. That's what happens with a franchise like this with so many characters. I've said many times before that I don't think DC is nearly as invested in Hal as they otherwise seem to pretend to be. Hal is little more than a means to an end for them, the fallback guy who will only have a decent spot in the GL franchise due to his historical value to it. That's why they never try to develop his character more, because they don't care about him being anything more than what they utilize him for.

Well, you can't please everyone. That's what happens with a franchise like this with so many characters. I've said many times before that I don't think DC is nearly as invested in Hal as they otherwise seem to pretend to be. Hal is little more than a means to an end for them, the fallback guy who will only have a decent spot in the GL franchise due to his historical value to it. That's why they never try to develop his character more, because they don't care about him being anything more than what they utilize him for.
    I agree about the lack of development. They've made him little more than a bomber jacket wearing flyboy. It's like they wrote him in the most nostalgic way as if that's all that was needed.

I remember fans, myself included, asking for a break in the action for a little development. I think Cowgirl was the lady friend at the time.

Maybe the new creative team will address these concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    I agree about the lack of development. They've made him little more than a bomber jacket wearing flyboy. It's like they wrote him in the most nostalgic way as if that's all that was needed.

I remember fans, myself included, asking for a break in the action for a little development. I think Cowgirl was the lady friend at the time.
    I'd say that's true for all the Earth Lanterns at this point.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd say that's true for all the Earth Lanterns at this point.
    I think Simon & Jess have been given plenty of time for character development in their own comic. I definitely have a better idea of who they are, and how they relate to their family and friends than I did before.

Now, as for John, Guy & Kyle? Not so much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Simon & Jess have been given plenty of time for character development in their own comic. I definitely have a better idea of who they are, and how they relate to their family and friends than I did before.

Now, as for John, Guy & Kyle? Not so much these days.
    Yeah, I meant more of the core four Earth Lanterns then I did Simon and Jessica .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I meant more of the core four Earth Lanterns then I did Simon and Jessica .
    Yeah, hopefully Snyder will have some time to develop John Stewart in Justice League in-between Multiverse-shattering crisis upon infinite events.

BANNED

Yeah, hopefully Snyder will have some time to develop John Stewart in Justice League in-between Multiverse-shattering crisis upon infinite events.
    Agreed. Now if Kyle can get into Titans, maybe we can see the same thing there with him.

I agree. I want to see John get into a new relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I agree. I want to see John get into a new relationship.
    Well Vixen is single at the moment, so......
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Agreed. Now if Kyle can get into Titans, maybe we can see the same thing there with him.
    And Titans isn't written awfully like it is at the moment. It could have been like a League sanctioned black ops team, like Young Justice did.

Dan Abnett wrote Marvel's Nova title at a time when it was very popular, so maybe trying him out on an issue of cosmic DC like Green Lantern might not be a bad idea. He also wrote the Doctor Who story The Harvest which is really good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post

Maybe the new creative team will address these concerns.
    Speaking of Cowgirl, giving the other four Earth Lanterns more focus on Earth-based support cast would be nice. Since Blackest Night there's been not much focus on Hal's family, after Kyle's mother was killed his father made periodic appearances in New 52, Guy's seen some time with his family but I can't recall any of John's family or non-Lantern related friends. Tellingly in the flash forward in issue 20, the final Geoff Johns issue, he's seen with Fatality and that's it. I can buy him seeing the Corps as family, but having non-Lantern support casts means we explore who Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner are as opposed to just being Green Lantern. This does go back to early Geoff Johns, where pretty much with Sinestro Corps War onward there was more focus on the successive crises than there was character work.

As DC is taking their sweet time with bringing back the JSA, I doubt we'll see Alan Scott returning for a while yet. The Earth-2 version isn't likely to appear either, as that world seemed tied off at the end of Society.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I certainly agree with that! I'd also love Coipel or Immomen or Doc Shaner - but yes, depending if their style fits the new writing.
    Stuart Immomen? I'm a fan of his work on Ultimate Spider-Man.

BANNED

Justice League will have John and Justice Society will have Alan. So Titans having Kyle is logical. The character still has fans, and keeping him in a comic where another Lantern is relentlessly promoted as "greater" than his is is just not good.

Extraordinary Member

Harold and Bartholomew FTW.
    Damn.

One dresses like his dad while the other was known for wearing bow ties (in an uncool Matt Smith kinda way).