Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The market, and not any discussion on a message board, will decide about Simon and Jessica.
    *looks to see where anyone said anything else*

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I've been thinking it might time for a third Lantern title that comes out once a month for a bit now. Guy's my favorite so if I had a say, it would be him that gets it. Kyle would also be nice, especially if it brought up Omega Men (I'm annoyed that Venditti dropped everything from that book). The fix could be as simple as just moving either Guy, Kyle, or John to Green Lanterns while either Simon or Jessica move to Hal & Pals. Keep everything in a near constant rotation so nothing ever gets stale.

Also, for god's sake, kick EVS off of Hal & Pals already! It's embarrassing to see Rafa Sandoval draw some of the best Green Lantern art ever one week and then the next have to put up with EVS's shit that doesn't even pass for art.
    I don't see there being a third title if the GL books currently doesn't have big support. The whole point of people like EVS being involved was to try to bring the franchise back to what it originally was during the Geoff Johns era. So then they would expand more spin-off books. They just didn't meet expectations. And I don't see Guy getting his own book, either.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Well then I guess that's where personal preference comes in. I'm not the biggest Hal fan whereas I like Jessica...
    That's fair. The same way I think Jessica, despite that I don't dislike her, should not be treated as a more important player than Kyle or John or Guy, or Hal. Last time they introduced a new character, they decided to get rid of everyone else. That worked, but had a relatively short shelf life. This time they decided to introduce new characters while keeping everyone else. That also kind of worked, but had an even shorter shelf life. Whatever happens in the future, I think one lesson DC probably got from this is that introducing more Lanterns isn't necessarily the best way to shake things up.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-06-2018 at 01:27 PM.

The market, and not any discussion on a message board, will decide about Simon and Jessica.
    Did anyone say otherwise? Lol I wonder what your reaction will be when DC inevitably introduces another Lantern to the franchise (maybe a teen this time).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Keep in mind this is not necessarily what you want DC to do with the GL titles, but rather what you think their plans might be.
    I doubt that there's much of an overall plan in place really, sad to say. The GL franchise is hardly a top priority for DC at the moment and hasn't been for a while. A year or so from now things could well be different but the current GL titles have no relation to the ongoing Rebirth/Doomsday Clock narrative. Metal, Doomsday Clock, the upcoming Justice League overhaul, the Superman/Bendis relaunch, the Batman and Flash titles, the New Age of Heroes etc, this is the stuff that DC are currently giving the most attention to. The complete lack of GL related representation in the Rebirth one-shot was telling to me at the time. A couple of panels of Jessica Cruz on the phone/ring to Hal Jordan? That was it? That hardly gives off the impression that the franchise has been critical in DC's thinking.

Of course, they are always going to print something GL related (and Aquaman and Green Arrow related also come to think of it). Both GL titles are currently quite good but are hardly setting the world on fire sales wise. DC may well decide to change things around in the future when the sales inevitably fall below a certain level. Possibly back to both a GL and GLC title with the Lanterns spread across each maybe? The market isn't there for anything more than that at present. To get back up there the GL franchise will need something essential like 'Sinestro Corps War' or 'Blackest Night' were back in the day. Something that is going to be irresistible to the general comic book reading audience as opposed to just GL fans. The series would certainly benefit from a top drawer creative team doing something fresh with it.

By which I don't mean a reboot. A reboot would do little else than give the titles the same kind of temporary boost in sales as other tactics that are at DC's disposal and have been disparaged on this thread. Also, how would this reboot affect the GL franchise's relationship and interactions with everything else currently going on at DC?

I know you didn't ask for my own preferences but I'd love to see Cullen Bunn's 'The Lost Army' series given a proper conclusion and the period between that and 'Edge Of Oblivion' covered with the dangling plot points resolved. I'd certainly like to see a John Stewart and Guy Gardner title that covers those bases and possibly ties into a current story as well. Perhaps with Relic threatening Earth but with John and Guy's (and Simons!) prior experiences in Relic's universe coming into play. I can dream.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 02-06-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's fair. The same way I don't think Jessica should be treated as a more important character than Kyle or John or Guy, or Hal.
    All of that comes from Geoff Johns. He's the one that pitched the idea of Green Lanterns over Sam Humphries. It's beyond me to why he would make these decisions on a dying franchise. You have six human Green Lanterns and there's only two books for them!? And two of those characters are in the JL as well as having their own book, over other human GL's stuck and crammed in a book.

It's pretty clear Geoff Johns is involved. He revolutionized the franchise into greater heights, but he overstayed his welcome and needs to go now.

Kill all of 'em but one and have that be the only Earth GL. At this point I don't even care which one they pick but would prefer it be Jessica Cruz.

She's a interesting character and it would add another female to the "big 7".

The best the GL books have been is the Silver Age when it was just Hal and in the 90's when it was just Kyle.

Making Green Lantern a "team book" has just diluted the character and split the fanbase over and over again. ( DC is also doing this to Flash but that's not what this thread is about. )

I was a GL fan and reader for decades but I really can't stand reading about basically four or five versions of the same character in the same book at the same time but, that's why I haven't bought GL since they brought back Jordan so there ya go.

Really don't get this fascination with so many DC fans to have all the solo books basically be team books, but, I guess that's just me.
    Batman - Daredevil

What are DC's plans with the franchise? Obviously to let it die a slow painful death by bludgeoning it with an insurmountable tide of mediocrity.

All the changes going on... DC really is grasping at straws. Hey, maybe the YA plan will work...
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    And watch them fade into obscurity. DC's track record with keeping new characters not associated with a Silver Age mantle relevant is poor.

Turning Kyle into Ion/White Lantern or Guy into Warrior/Red Lantern didn't work. Doubt it'll work for Jessica and Simon either.
    Difference is Jessica STARTED as Power Ring, and Baz with the Krona Gauntlet would give him something different than the Other GLs

Ultimate Member

Do I think they're poor characters? Yes I do! That's not an "admission." It's a declaration. But people are entitled to like them, and that's OK.

The sales say that despite the loudness of a few folks on the message boards, the market doesn't like them. Can you ADMIT that?
    The market doesn't decide crap when it can be highly manipulated.

It's one thing to not sell a book that you think won't sell but it's another when many take issue with WHO is on the cover.

If half the comic book stores won't stock Hal's book but the other-is that a fair market? Vice versa?

Well it hasn't for Cyborg. Who still gets shots while many others who have sold don't.

Because right now-Jess & Simon earn their keep-Cyborg does not.

Did you ever complain for the past year and a half that it was unfair towards any of the other Lanterns to push Baz and Cruz to the moon at their expense?
    Did ANYBODY? If that was John Stewart.............

Or are they getting a free pass because of who their creator is?

What bad sales? Both and the GLC and Green Lanterns have sold almost within 2000 units of one another give or take for almost all of 2017 just looking at it.
    I think the issue is the idea that sales should be HIGHER-even if you take out events and Batman lovefest books.

The issue with Green Lantern is an ALIENATION of the fan base. Hal has to be number one. Simon & Jessica are pushed to the moon at Lyle, Guy, alien lanterns & John's expense. John Stewart......that fanbase (along with their money) is GONE.

Right now this franchise needs Johns and friends need to understand the world does NOT revolve around Hal Jordan. And the John Stewart fanbase is NEVER coming back. As one said "there are too many better books out there to read. Where people who look like me are not written as crap."

For what they are sales are fine. If one is happy with Hal holding the franchise hostage. Dc can enjoy being the millionaire thanks to Hal. Instead of the billionaire letting GO of the one main GL concept.

Jessica can be in all the crap she wants but ask John Stewart fans where that got them in comics. Or Cyborg. The face of black DC heroes whose sales look UP at Moon Girl. Or Wally West. I can list a bunch MORE.

Until DC understands the world does not revolve around your PETS-those sales WILL get worst.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Um, yeah, there were in fact complaints about DC pushing two new Green Lanterns AND putting them in the JL.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

There's not going to be a JLI, and Simon and Jessica won't get another series.

This is the simplest and thus probably the best solution:

John in Justice League.

Kyle in Titans.

Hal in an Earth-based comic.

Guy in a space-based comic with Arisia and the other classic characters.

Simon and Jessica do something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Thats why I made a better suggestion:

Hal goes Solo and has a Part Time JL membership
    John joins the League Full Time
    Guy joins JLI
    Kyle joins the JLA
    Baz and Cruz either headline GLC or get a GL and Power Ring series
    I think these ideas are what I would go for. The human GLs should not be in one book, space them out. Hal should not be the only one who gets the privilege to step away from the GLC for a while. Let Kilowag, Arisia and Salaak take charge of the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The market doesn't decide crap when it can be highly manipulated.

It's one thing to not sell a book that you think won't sell but it's another when many take issue with WHO is on the cover.

If half the comic book stores won't stock Hal's book but the other-is that a fair market? Vice versa?

Well it hasn't for Cyborg. Who still gets shots while many others who have sold don't.

Because right now-Jess & Simon earn their keep-Cyborg does not.

I think the issue is the idea that sales should be HIGHER-even if you take out events and Batman lovefest books.

The issue with Green Lantern is an ALIENATION of the fan base. Hal has to be number one. Simon & Jessica are pushed to the moon at Lyle, Guy, alien lanterns & John's expense. John Stewart......that fanbase (along with their money) is GONE.

Right now this franchise needs Johns and friends need to understand the world does NOT revolve around Hal Jordan. And the John Stewart fanbase is NEVER coming back. As one said "there are too many better books out there to read. Where people who look like me are not written as crap."

For what they are sales are fine. If one is happy with Hal holding the franchise hostage. Dc can enjoy being the millionaire thanks to Hal. Instead of the billionaire letting GO of the one main GL concept.

Jessica can be in all the crap she wants but ask John Stewart fans where that got them in comics. Or Cyborg. The face of black DC heroes whose sales look UP at Moon Girl. Or Wally West. I can list a bunch MORE.

Until DC understands the world does not revolve around your PETS-those sales WILL get worst.
    This is another issue with the Lantern titles. Johns and crew like to say that Hal is the greatest and everyone loves him, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. DC really squandered John's popularity from the cartoons. For as much as. Johns saved the franchise during his run, I think he kinda doomed it in the long term by putting so much focus on Hal. DC will never let anyone else be the main character. It would make sense for the book to be called John Stewart & the GLC, considering he's the leader, but Hal has to get the push for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    This is another issue with the Lantern titles. Johns and crew like to say that Hal is the greatest and everyone loves him, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. DC really squandered John's popularity from the cartoons. For as much as. Johns saved the franchise during his run, I think he kinda doomed it in the long term by putting so much focus on Hal. DC will never let anyone else be the main character. It would make sense for the book to be called John Stewart & the GLC, considering he's the leader, but Hal has to get the push for some reason.
    Ethan Van Sciver pretty much explained that reason in the John Stewart appreciation thread. I'm sure those views of his are shared at DC.

BANNED

I've said what I think DC will do. But what if they don't reboot it? Then what are they likely to do?

They'd probably still put Kyle in Titans. They'd probably keep Hal in a title, and because he's "the greatest," put him in Justice League too. But they might try to find jobs for the other Lanterns in crappy Justice League B titles that won't last long.

Then in two to three years they'd be thrashing around for another fix.