Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    We're speaking of the constant use of "the greatest" as an empty tagline in solicits as well as its use by certain writers. Like they're trying make the fandom believe it by saying it over and over.

I used to absolutely love the character of Jordan. Rebirth was exciting. I never really even knew him before that. But after a while I woke up and realized that his series was nothing more than a constant barrage of stuff happening to him. I saw nothing about Harold that pushed the narrative. Just one event after another to where I wished they would take a few issues for purely character development. Didn't happen. They'd rather say how great he was than to show it.

That coupled with the watering down of the rings caused me to quit. I remember it was all the rage, but I could see back then that it was hindering the cosmic side of DC. Everybody had a ring. I felt like they could have done everything that they did with the other ringed aliens character-wise without the rings.

All that being said, I am happy to see John apart of the animated roster.
    When you say "Hal is the greatest," you're also saying, "These other ones aren't as good." Yet you're trying to make the others sell comics! That ain't gonna work, now or ever.

But besides "Hal is the greatest," I think the other classic example of saying something about a character and not backing it up is in claiming that the Martian Manhunter is "the soul of the Justice League." Really, what does that mean? It's just an advertising jingle for a product that people aren't much interested in.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-20-2018 at 11:42 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I say the day DC drops trying to label Hal the greatest Green Lantern and give every single Earth lantern equal status will be the day the Green Lantern franchise actually move forward. This greatest business not only divides the fandom is just a cheap and lazy attempt to one Green Lantern on the level of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allan, Aquama, etc. That only works if that character has actually proven himself to be the greatest by working for it or by being the one and only which was Alan Scott.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

We're speaking of the constant use of "the greatest" as an empty tagline in solicits as well as its use by certain writers. Like they're trying make the fandom believe it by saying it over and over.
    I can't remember it being that emphasized by other writers.

Even Johns used it ironically some of the times it got brought up in his run.

I agree that it's kind of obnoxious in the solicits, especially since they seem to keep hammering it in as of late for some inexplicable reason.
    I used to absolutely love the character of Jordan. Rebirth was exciting. I never really even knew him before that. But after a while I woke up and realized that his series was nothing more than a constant barrage of stuff happening to him. I saw nothing about Harold that pushed the narrative. Just one event after another to where I wished they would take a few issues for purely character development. Didn't happen. They'd rather say how great he was than to show it.
    I feel like the New 52 Venditti era was more guilty of that, especially when they made Hal the leader (and a bad one at that).

The late Johns run did become very event-heavy though I think there was still some solid character work with Hal going on then, with more emphasis on how much being Green Lantern had come to define him and the cost it was doing to his personal life.
    That coupled with the watering down of the rings caused me to quit. I remember it was all the rage, but I could see back then that it was hindering the cosmic side of DC. Everybody had a ring. I felt like they could have done everything that they did with the other ringed aliens character-wise without the rings.
    I can understand the idea of all the other Corps. diluting the franchise (then again, what isn't diluted these days?), but I like the other Corps. and what they brought to the mythos, so I don't really mind them.

Now, writers focusing exclusively on the Emotional Spectrum and the other Corps. ad nauseam, that seems like a bigger issue. But I think the GL books have been a little bit better about it as of late.
    All that being said, I am happy to see John apart of the animated roster.
    Same here .

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I say the day DC drops trying to label Hal the greatest Green Lantern and give every single Earth lantern equal status will be the day the Green Lantern franchise actually move forward. This greatest business not only divides the fandom is just a cheap and lazy attempt to one Green Lantern on the level of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allan, Aquama, etc. That only works if that character has actually proven himself to be the greatest by working for it or by being the one and only which was Alan Scott.
    I agree.

What I find crazy is that I already felt like John was on their level. His personality wasn't to be wowed by other big names.

Seeing John in that Jimenez pic just feels right.

Is Barry Allen really that kind of name ?

Nonsense label designed to make something feel "da bestest".

Torch bearer really means nothing. Opener of doors really means nothing. Empty taglines to nowhere. Just as empty as the greatest. Going out of their way to continually call Harold "the greatest" comes off as pandering. Like they really want you to believe it. Who are they trying to persuade?
    But who are they pandering to when most Hal fans don't seem to like it as well?

Harold and Bartholomew FTW.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-20-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is Barry Allen really that kind of name ?
    With two Flashes around I thought I just decided to refer to Barry by his normal name.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-20-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioning Barry and Aquaman here makes no sense. Hal has always been on the level of each JL member other than the trinity. Which is another reason he doesn't need useless labels like that.

I agree.

What I find crazy is that I already felt like John was on their level. His personality wasn't to be wowed by other big names.

Seeing John in that Jimenez pic just feels right.
    Maybe they should just put John on the Justice League from now and and not fall back on Hal every time a new Lantern fails to fit in with the League.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Mentioning Barry and Aquaman here make no sense. Hal has always been on the level of each JL member other than the trinity. Which is another reason he doesn't need useless labels like that.
    Why would it make no sense? I think most would apply that logic that most Lanterns are on the same level as all the other Justice League members maybe with the exception of Simon and Jessica. Though i think some might disagree on them.

But who are they pandering to when most Hal fans don't seem to like it as well?

Harold and Bartholomew FTW.
    Do most Jordan fans dislike it?

Why would it make no sense? I think most would apply that logic that most Lanterns are on the same level as all the other Justice League members maybe with the exception of Simon and Jessica. Though i think some might disagree on them.
    You said DC referring to Hal as the greatest was "just a cheap and lazy attempt to one Green Lantern on the level of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allan, Aquaman, etc." Seemed like you were suggesting that Hal wasn't on the level of the last two. If I misunderstood your comment, my bad.

Do most Jordan fans dislike it?
    I think so. I often see complaints from Hal fans when DC does that.

You said DC referring to Hal as the greatest was "just a cheap and lazy attempt to one Green Lantern on the level of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allan, Aquaman, etc." Seemed like you were suggesting that Hal wasn't on the level of the last two. If I misunderstood your comment, my bad.
    I meant that for DC to label Hal as the greatest Green Lantern without really showing exactly why he is the greatest was a lazy attempt to make Hal as iconic as the rest of the Justice League members but Hal is iconic in his own right as are the rest of the Lanterns from Earth.

Astonishing Member

So who are you all HOPING for? Name 3 writers, three artists, maybe?