View Poll Results: Which One Is The Lucky Girl?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batgirl - Barbara Gordon

61 51.26%
  • Starfire - Koriand'r

58 48.74%
Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    It's crazy how often characters get wrongly compared to Batman. Moon Knight is a (usually) wealthy vigilante with cool gadgets... that is it. They aren't alike in any other ways. Same for Green Arrow and a lot of others. On the Lemire run, I always think of that run as proof that a book can improve dramatically from one issue to the next. Has there ever been a book that went from so low to so high so suddenly? No book or character is hopeless, they just don't have the right team currently.

Dick is such a different character than Bruce that I don't understand the argument. To me, he is outside of Batman's shadow, has his own identity, and has for a long time.
    No he is not. Nightwing's so deep in batman shadow he is choking on it. Proof. Look at his series logo it has the batman symbols all over it. Remember when he use to have his own birdsymbol on his logo. Good times. His sole series is all smoke and mirrors. He is now just a glorified sidekick. The same goes to all his pals on the titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    When you're a street level character Batman's shadow is something that is going to be encountered. Miller wrote Daredevil the way he wanted to write Batman transforming the manner in which DD was written. Since then Bendis, Brubaker and even Nocenti have written acclaimed runs. Then he brought those sensibilities to Batman and here he transformed the landscape of the entire comic dom. Batman has enough good stories and runs that I cant even list them. Priest wrote his Black Panther with the idea that he'd never get a real shot at Batman thus wrote his inner Batman on to Panther. Moon Knight is accused of being a ripoff as is Green Arrow. Morrison's Batman and Brubaker's Cap America are constantly compared and ofcourse Orlando's Midnighter.There is simply put no escaping Batman's shadow. You dont even have to be a DC character for that.

Many of these characters at one time or another have been dismissed as discount Batmen. But they have acclaimed runs and I think Dick can too. Seeley's run and Tomasi's brief stint were very strong. I think there is definitely potential. Lemire wrote an acclaimed run for Green Arrow after the character was subjected to years of crap. Dick hasn't had it anywhere near as bad.

Those concepts still originated from Batman franchise.
    Does he have to be a street level character and only in street level situations? The problem is the fanbase wants him to be treated more as an A-list character, and him being an extension of Batman is commonly perceived as a roadblock to that. The thing that makes Dick A-list already is his status as the original Robin, and that obvious connection to Batman, not Nightwing. It seems the character is in kind of a trap. The two most obvious solutions, having him be Batman and/or the Titans taking the League's spot are not realistic.

The way to "A-list" is not trough comics anymore.

I like boths, personally, shocking i know, but is the true

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I can't be the only person who finds shipping the original Robin with a gay analogue of Batman a little weird.
    No you're not.

BFB746C8-FE48-45A1-9A0E-580840951E4E.jpg

Tough love at it’s best
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Same for Green Arrow...
    Well, sure, now. In his early days he was so much of a Batman clone that he had an Arrowcar and an Arrowcave. I'm surprised he never got an Arrowhound.

Dick is such a different character than Bruce that I don't understand the argument. To me, he is outside of Batman's shadow, has his own identity, and has for a long time.
    I agree wholeheartedly when he's handled right. But then he gets scenes like in the recent Titans, where he tremulously asks Bruce if he's "disappointed him."

I like Nightwing more than Batman. There, I've said it! I'd like to see hm written as a little more grown up and sure of himself, and with a little more stability in his supporting cast, setting, and activities in his civilian identity. He's a character you can build a whole world around, if you give him a little space. And have him recognize himself as Batman's equal - worse in some ways, better in others. (But I don't think DC can allow him that, because of the whole "BatGod is the center of the universe" thing.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Well, sure, now. In his early days he was so much of a Batman clone that he had an Arrowcar and an Arrowcave. I'm surprised he never got an Arrowhound.

I agree wholeheartedly when he's handled right. But then he gets scenes like in the recent Titans, where he tremulously asks Bruce if he's "disappointed him."

I like Nightwing more than Batman. There, I've said it! I'd like to see hm written as a little more grown up and sure of himself, and with a little more stability in his supporting cast, setting, and activities in his civilian identity. He's a character you can build a whole world around, if you give him a little space. And have him recognize himself as Batman's equal - worse in some ways, better in others. (But I don't think DC can allow him that, because of the whole "BatGod is the center of the universe" thing.)
    It would go a long way not only to have Dick recognize himself as Batman's equal, but for Bruce to also give him that recognition--in whatever mallethanded way Bruce does that kind of thing.

I like him with women who are more powerful than he is. I'd like it if they leaned into the Kryptonian origins behind his codename, so maybe put him with Supergirl for a bit. He can be Jon's big bro, when he comes around.

As far as being in Batman's shadow, eh. I don't necessarily agree in general, but he's not doing so well lately. I'm of the opinion that he should've stayed Batman longer. I'm glad that a case can be made that he was a better Batman, and that he can beat Bruce in a straight-up hand-to-hand fight.

Its not about being better, but cooler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I like him with women who are more powerful than he is. I'd like it if they leaned into the Kryptonian origins behind his codename, so maybe put him with Supergirl for a bit. He can be Jon's big bro, when he comes around.

As far as being in Batman's shadow, eh. I don't necessarily agree in general, but he's not doing so well lately. I'm of the opinion that he should've stayed Batman longer. I'm glad that a case can be made that he was a better Batman, and that he can beat Bruce in a straight-up hand-to-hand fight.
    I would agree. I think he needs some super-friends to hang around with who aren't/weren't Titans. A non-meta girlfriend just isn't workable for Dick because they always end up being damsels in distress and he's got better things to do than rescue their skanky butts. A Power Girl or Supergirl would be pretty perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Its not about being better, but cooler
    Not necessarily better in-universe, but on a meta-level; he succeeds in the unspoken promise that was made between himself and Bruce when he was Robin, by becoming the Batman to Damian's Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I would agree. I think he needs some super-friends to hang around with who aren't/weren't Titans. A non-meta girlfriend just isn't workable for Dick because they always end up being damsels in distress and he's got better things to do than rescue their skanky butts. A Power Girl or Supergirl would be pretty perfect.
    lol

I could get behind Powergirl as a love interest for him, too. Just gotta get her back to his earth...

Fantastic Member

There is so much inconsistency with both powergirl and supergirl , that i don't think to will ever happen with Nightwing. Supergirl age changes all the time when the titans began in the 60s she was an adult,that's why she was never part of the team. Then somehow she was a teenager during Tim's titans and now i don't know if she is still a teen or Barbara's age.
    As for power girl, she sometimes in and out of limbo. Right now I don't know what her status is at the moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwix View Post
    There is so much inconsistency with both powergirl and supergirl , that i don't think to will ever happen with Nightwing. Supergirl age changes all the time when the titans began in the 60s she was an adult,that's why she was never part of the team. Then somehow she was a teenager during Tim's titans and now i don't know if she is still a teen or Barbara's age.
    As for power girl, she sometimes in and out of limbo. Right now I don't know what her status is at the moment.
    I think Dick could forgive Power Girl for not being a red-head.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Dick is most suited to a menage-a-trois roomie arrangement with Midnighter and Tiger.