Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
Perhaps a lot has to do with the age of the fan. As a very elderly fan now, I grew up with Dick Grayson from 1958 onward; now he's like one of my grandchildren (soon to be one of my great-grandchildren). The "80-page giants" with lots of Golden Age stories readily and cheaply reprinted had Dick out in space, in other dimensions, hanging around with Superman--whatever, he took it all in stride like a true Citizen of the Universe. Wherever or whenever he was, he kicked butt. IMHO, many of his very best moments were in "Grayson"--he's never worried about not knowing which side of the road to drive on. I see Batman as FAR more tied to Gotham than Nightwing is to Bludhaven. Dick Grayson has always represented to me the embodiment of "Brave and Bold". He didn't drown in his sorrow and vengeance like Bruce is; he has the great heart of Superman--yet he is far more approachable and has to work a lot harder to accomplish the same goal--he is the best of all worlds as far as this unique genre goes.
For me it was here.

Or here... not sure which I saw first.

382109_full.jpg

Regardless it always has that 'Batman and' attached to the Robin name. I know he had a lot of solo silver age stuff zany adventures.. but I usually file those away with Batman in Zebra costumes and Superman shooting tiny Supermen out of his fingers... They're a fun slice of life, but I don't really contribute them as a 'core concept' to the character.

And again, that's just personal opinion. Which is what I think the whole Starfire vs Batgirl debate is all about. Of the drastically different types of Dick Grayson stories that have been written... which do you prefer? Ace acrobatic detective... or interstellar super hero?