View Poll Results: Which One Is The Lucky Girl?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batgirl - Barbara Gordon

61 51.26%
  • Starfire - Koriand'r

58 48.74%
Page 15 of 104 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

First, I truly think if Dick is early 20s he does not need to get married.

In real life most of us have at least a couple, several relationships before we marry. Or at least it is held to be 'normal' if such happens. Sure there are exceptions; my son married his high school sweetheart, and he never dated anyone else, though before their serious dating my daughter in law dated one other person briefly.

Anyway, I find it ironic, this talk of it being a Betty and Veronica situation, when

(as a devoted fan of Bat-girl 1, Flamebird) there is a Betty out there for him!

Mighty Member

It would be great if DC stops the Dick shipping for a year or two. For the past decades, it has been a string of continuous failed romances: Shawn, Raya, Deborah, etc. Not to account the list of fangirls: Supergirl, Sophia, now Jessica. Give the guy a break DC.

I don't think the shipping is the problem but the type of ships a.k.a. not serious but only until the next arc or creative team relationships, there filler relationships not status quo relationships. Do you guys feel like aquaman and mera are filler or green arrow and black canary? That because dc sees those relationships as a status quo to invest in.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    As far as Archie goes, they teased that he was finally going to make his choice and get married. There was fan outrage, but then the issue turned out to be a dream sequence in which he imagined two scenarios, one for marrying each girl! So no, he has never married either one.

Yes, in Batman and Superman's first meeting, in 1952's Superman #76, they are on a cruise ship, and Bruce and Clark kind of have a rivalry for Lois' affections. When they disembark, however, she is walking off with Robin, and says something in that regard!

He's apparently known as a player. He did have a one-night stand with Huntress, I know that. Donna? I've heard a lot of people talk about, here and elsewhere, how that is one of the few truly platonic male-female friendships in comics, and DC better not ruin it. BUT I have heard that there was SOME supposedly MINOR tease of romance at some point in the past. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

As for Catwoman, that is about the creepiest thing I've ever heard. But I did just look it up, and apparently they did kiss in Nightwing #52. It was apparently Catwoman being typically flirtatious. She kissed him and he briefly reciprocated. Ugh! Awkward conversation with Dad!
    Dick has won (for reasons that i don't understand) a reputation of a player since 2003ish, but for most of his story he has been a monogamous guy, many women find him attractive, but he has never took advantage of that until more recent years, pre-flashpoint he usually was pretty serious about his relationships most of the time, to the poikt that he said to Roy that he doesn't think that he would able to sleep with a woman that he doesn't love, Helena was the exception but he eventually thougth that the whole thing was a mistake and never did something like that again (pre-flashpoint wise).

As for Dick and Donna, Wolfman said in an interview that he considered the idea of a romance beetween the 2 during thr NTT days, but changed his mind and they have keep a platonic relationship.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    First, I truly think if Dick is early 20s he does not need to get married.

In real life most of us have at least a couple, several relationships before we marry. Or at least it is held to be 'normal' if such happens. Sure there are exceptions; my son married his high school sweetheart, and he never dated anyone else, though before their serious dating my daughter in law dated one other person briefly.

Anyway, I find it ironic, this talk of it being a Betty and Veronica situation, when

(as a devoted fan of Bat-girl 1, Flamebird) there is a Betty out there for him!
    We wont see him really get married. Thease chracters are not allowed to age anymore. Dick should be 24. Time has been stagnant, despite the many events. So its actualy impossible to have a relationship that can really last, just one offs with random write ins. I think the reason why Dick and babs get close and back off every 3 months is becasue they dont want stories tied down. Catwoman cannot sustain a book anymore so she can be a supporting chracter in baman fulltime. Its a big flaw in the current DC

Incredible Member

Okay, I just read Nightwing Annual #2, and I’m definitely going to now make a timeline largely based largely on it, which I’ll refer to from here on out as NA2.

In Oct. 1975, in Batman Family #1, Batgirl plants a kiss on Robin. It’s basically done as a way of teasing him, but she even dips him over to do it!
    Throughout this series, it’s made clear Robin has a crush on Batgirl. In issue #10 (Apr. 1977), she almost allows herself to think the same of him, and then reprimands herself, saying “What am I thinking? I’m 25 years old, and he’s still a teenager!”
    Source: http://www.orgamesmic.com/dick-grays...ge-difference/

This is seemingly changed (because of Infinite Crisis?) in NA2, where Dick states they were both 16 when they shirked their patrol duty to spend time together, asking each other if this counted as a “date.” Without an answer, they were forced to spring into action against Crazy Quilt, after which they found themselves locked in a safe together, leading to that famous scene of Robin getting an erection.

Later on in NA2, they show the two resting after an adventure and Robin pours his heart out to her, telling her he loves her, but she appears to be asleep. She actually isn’t.
    This is, according to Barbara, “After you, me, and Man-Bat defeated the Outsider,” which a Google search tells me was Batman Family #13 in 1977.

She points out that she didn’t say anything at the time, even though she also had feelings for him, because of where they were at that point. The Titans were getting back together, and Dick was rebelling against all things Batman. “Where would that leave me?”
    That seems like it would place the event right around the time of New Teen Titans #1 in Nov. 1980. So there’s like a three-year discrepancy there, but in comic book time that’s like a week.

Robin and Starfire had their first kiss in New Teen Titans #2 the next month.
    Source: http://www.orgamesmic.com/starfire-and-robin-kiss/

It’s of course sometime after that that Barbara came to see Dick, only to be greeted by Kori in her underwear. Barbara’s narration then states that during the ensuing time, “I had companionship.” The man they show her kissing in that panel is, I presume, Jason Bard.

Dick and Kori move in together in NTT Vol 2, #39, in Jan. 1988.
    Source: http://www.orgamesmic.com/robin-and-starfire-move-in/
    I even found out that Barbara and Jason got engaged at some point.

Barbara is shot by the Joker that May in The Killing Joke, and she ended her engagement to Jason after that. According to NA2, Dick was on Tamaran with Kori at the time, and doesn’t return for six months, by which time, he and Kori have become engaged. He goes to see Barbara, and the two sleep together, but in the morning, he gives her his engagement announcement. People on this thread have stated that this outrageous behavior was retroactively stated to be because of possession by Trigon, I think? I’d like to know what issue that was stated in.

Dick and Kori’s wedding, in Aug. 1993’s New Teen Titans #100, is interrupted. Some time after that, the two break up.

Then, in his own series (early 2000s?) he and Barbara begin to be given the romantic-tension treatment, before getting together (not sure of the issue). The two were definitely dating by Nightwing #75 in 2003.

He gives her an engagement ring at the outset of Infinite Crisis, but she never technically accepts. She then returns his ring, telling him to go on his trip with Bruce. He sends the ring back again to her on a chain, promising he'll return for her.

So...I'm not really sure what happened after that? Did they continue a relationship when he got back? The DC wikia talks about Nightwing #153 from 2009, in which he takes her skydiving, but their relationship status there is unclear. I take it they're not together anymore after NA2.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 02-11-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    this was before they hooked up
    I said in the 40's.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 02-11-2018 at 11:14 AM.

As far as Archie goes, they teased that he was finally going to make his choice and get married. There was fan outrage, but then the issue turned out to be a dream sequence in which he imagined two scenarios, one for marrying each girl! So no, he has never married either one.

Yes, in Batman and Superman's first meeting, in 1952's Superman #76, they are on a cruise ship, and Bruce and Clark kind of have a rivalry for Lois' affections. When they disembark, however, she is walking off with Robin, and says something in that regard!

He's apparently known as a player. He did have a one-night stand with Huntress, I know that. Donna? I've heard a lot of people talk about, here and elsewhere, how that is one of the few truly platonic male-female friendships in comics, and DC better not ruin it. BUT I have heard that there was SOME supposedly MINOR tease of romance at some point in the past. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

As for Catwoman, that is about the creepiest thing I've ever heard. But I did just look it up, and apparently they did kiss in Nightwing #52. It was apparently Catwoman being typically flirtatious. She kissed him and he briefly reciprocated. Ugh! Awkward conversation with Dad!
    No I mean in the 40's! Nevermind. I think I found what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    I don't think the shipping is the problem but the type of ships a.k.a. not serious but only until the next arc or creative team relationships, there filler relationships not status quo relationships. Do you guys feel like aquaman and mera are filler or green arrow and black canary? That because dc sees those relationships as a status quo to invest in.
    Right and that's why I think that DC keeps teasing these two ships or at least Dick and Barbara. They are their "eternal" ships that they keep dangling. When they get serious about it, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    We wont see him really get married. Thease chracters are not allowed to age anymore. Dick should be 24. Time has been stagnant, despite the many events. So its actualy impossible to have a relationship that can really last, just one offs with random write ins. I think the reason why Dick and babs get close and back off every 3 months is becasue they dont want stories tied down. Catwoman cannot sustain a book anymore so she can be a supporting chracter in baman fulltime. Its a big flaw in the current DC
    Well she was a supporting character in the book before her book anyway so it's not any different. As far as Dick and Barbara, when DC comics closes their doors, then we will see who was endgame. If it was Dick and Barbara, or Dick and Kori or some new character they create that lasts. Who know how long DC Comics will be open. Another 40 or 50 years.

So...I'm not really sure what happened after that? Did they continue a relationship when he got back? The DC wikia talks about Nightwing #153 from 2009, in which he takes her skydiving, but their relationship status there is unclear. I take it they're not together anymore after NA2.
    The relationship was left in limbo after that. There were moments here and there, and plenty of implications, but it was left that they were not in a relationship with one another anymore but were still into each other. Unless again you count Convergence Nightwing/Oracle.

Spectacular Member

To be fair - she wasn't trying to romance Nightwing, but make Batman jealous. Which Dick figures out "Wait, you WANT me to tell him. That's what this has all been about. You think he'll be jealous" and laughs at her for it (fair enough). Doesn't really feel in character for Catwoman (the jealousy yes, the flirtation yes.... wait, maybe this is sort of in character. But not with a former Robin.) Selina is probably closest to Dick of all the robins and he has been usually the most supportive of her relationship with Bruce so feels weird for the writer to try that.

This is the same issue where she has a messed up dream about marrying Batman and then going crazy on him when he has to respond to the batsignal (and blaming the weird dream on eating before bed... not a dream she wanted, or atleast not the ending she wanted).

Regarding Babs and Kori. Who are/were their other main love interests?

He did not reciprocate. He laughed in her face.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Well she was a supporting character in the book before her book anyway so it's not any different. As far as Dick and Barbara, when DC comics closes their doors, then we will see who was endgame. If it was Dick and Barbara, or Dick and Kori or some new character they create that lasts. Who know how long DC Comics will be open. Another 40 or 50 years.
    lol we wont be alive for that, thease chracters existed before us and will prably be around long after we are gone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    He did not reciprocate. He laughed in her face.
    That WAS fun, wasn't it?