View Poll Results: Which One Is The Lucky Girl?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batgirl - Barbara Gordon

61 51.26%
  • Starfire - Koriand'r

58 48.74%
Page 54 of 104 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    the tease of Jericho? I dunno, we hit the two big titan storylines, I wouldn't mind a new one with rose Wilson, however I am not fond of a Donna troy being younger then damian, can we not with the de aging of Dicks peers

Or rather a small time to forward to a team close to what damian has now I would like to Crush animated
    Dick keeps getting aged up and everyone else gets aged down. He's about Alfred's age now. Looks like it with his new bald 'do.

Donna being younger than the NTT's makes for a fun and unique scenario, especially in a separate universe like the DC Animated Films. Would love a JC sequel based on Who Is Donna Troy? with this current line-up.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Donna being younger than the NTT's makes for a fun and unique scenario, especially in a separate universe like the DC Animated Films. Would love a JC sequel based on Who Is Donna Troy? with this current line-up.
    I just hope that they make more Teen Titan animated movies.
    I enjoyed both, and the thing that I like most about them is the romance between Dick and Kory. At least they are a couple in the animated movies even though they are not in the comics.
    I really would like to see a sister relationship between Kory and Donna like there was in the comics.

I just recently read a lot of the early Teen Titan comics, and I actually really like Kory/Starfire as a character. I definitely like the relationship she had with Dick.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I would hate that.

I just want to see my favorite stories done properly in animation. Plus a Who is Donna Troy? is mostly a detective story about Dick trying to figure out where one of his best friends came from. You can't do that in this animated universe unless you have a noticeable time jump and do the story with Damian instead.

I really can't stand the idea of more Titans animated stuff in this universe.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Dick keeps getting aged up and everyone else gets aged down. He's about Alfred's age now. Looks like it with his new bald 'do.
    Dick is aging normally raven and best boy can't go past 17 and Bruce is forever 35 so he can be young enough to still excell

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I would hate that.

I just want to see my favorite stories done properly in animation. Plus a Who is Donna Troy? is mostly a detective story about Dick trying to figure out where one of his best friends came from. You can't do that in this animated universe unless you have a noticeable time jump and do the story with Damian instead.

I really can't stand the idea of more Titans animated stuff in this universe.
    Honestly you won't be able to do 'Who's DOnna Troy' justice in animation form I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Honestly you won't be able to do 'Who's DOnna Troy' justice in animation form I reckon.
    You could, you would have to build up the original Titans who were in that story first in a different universe.

The reason I can't stand these current adaptations is because they are so very loosely based on the material. Sure they share thematic and story telling elements but they lack the emotional weight and history behind them. It's like saying Dark Knight Rises is a good No Man's Land adaptation. Yeah you have Gotham separated from the world with little factions in it but that's all the story similarities. Or in Judas Contract you have Terra betray the team and a power siphon machine. The reason the animated All-Star Superman is such a great adaptation because that it keeps the emotional core of the story while following what came before. Cuts will always be made, that's what adaptations do but it doesn't sacrifice any style or substance from the original story. The Judas Contract storyline was basically the team growing up, realizing just how real and dangerous their lives really are. It's a coming of age story for many in the group literally for Dick because of his transition to Nightwing and an emotional transition for Beast Boy.

I remember hearing for years that the Judas Contract and potential other Titans stories were going to be adapted in animation. I was so excited, maybe they would pull a New Frontier and do it in an the original art style of the story. Being a George Perez style animated movie, plus having the original roster of the comic would've blown my mind.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Judas Contract was a strong film in its own right. Definitely my favorite of the DC animated films of this decade after Under the Red Hood.

And Who is Donna Troy? in a way works perfectly as the sequel to Judas Contract. The team is still reeling and wary after Terra's betrayal, and new members like Donna and maybe Jericho would be eyed with suspicion, especially if a villain takes advantage of their current emotional and psychological state.

The motivations for delving into Donna's past would be different, but the cathartic result at the end could have the same impact. If not more as in this instance, it offers the satisfaction of clearing Donna's name and affirming her awesomeness.

Judas Contract was a strong film in its own right. Definitely my favorite of the DC animated films of this decade after Under the Red Hood.

And Who is Donna Troy? in a way works perfectly as the sequel to Judas Contract. The team is still reeling and wary after Terra's betrayal, and new members like Donna and maybe Jericho would be eyed with suspicion, especially if a villain takes advantage of their current emotional and psychological state.

The motivations for delving into Donna's past would be different, but the cathartic result at the end could have the same impact. If not more as in this instance, it offers the satisfaction of clearing Donna's name and affirming her awesomeness.
    It would be different, that's my point. These movies are only the stories in name only.

Mighty Member

I think Starfire is one of those characters that a lot of people misunderstand.
    They give too much of a sexual emphasis on her, and I think that it's because of her attire as a superhero.
    She has been referred to as a wholesome version of a prostitute.
    I have also seen a comment about her being a nympho.
    Of course, there are the slut names too.

What I gathered from the comics that I read

She was designed to be an outerspace version of Red Sonja.
    She's an alien warrior princess.
    She was also a slave for 6 years, and she went through horrible physical and emotional pain.
    She escaped from a slave ship and was recaptured, but the Teen Titans rescued her.
    On her planet Tamaran, people are barely dressed.
    Another thing...She's a solar-powered being.
    The Sun gives her strength and power.
    Her star-bolt power came from torturing experimentation by her slavemasters.

I think some people don't understand the character and just judge her by her appearance.
    There is a lot more to her than what she's wearing.

She is actually very smart along with being strong,tough,brave,fierce,loyal, deep,emotional,sensitive,caring,compassionate.
    Most of all, she is a survivor.
    What didn't kill her made her stronger.
    She has been shown to have an extreme resistance to physical pain and immense willpower.
    She had a lot of aggression in her because of her past as a slave and her training as a warrior.
    As a Tamaranian, she lives through her passions and emotions, and she helped Dick with those.

The Teen Titans cartoon doesn't touch on the traumatic,abusive past like the comics do.

Tales of the Teen Titans #4 is a comic issue about Kori/Starfire's past.
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-03-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Dick is aging normally raven and best boy can't go past 17 and Bruce is forever 35 so he can be young enough to still excell
    Bruce is 35 and Dick is--what, mid-twenties?--? So now Bruce was 7 years old when Dick became his "ward". And 7 year-old Bruce was smoking a pipe. Dick Grayson should be stopped at a certain point and not allowed to age anymore.

Fantastic Member

Bruce is 35 and Dick is--what, mid-twenties?--? So now Bruce was 7 years old when Dick became his "ward". And 7 year-old Bruce was smoking a pipe. Dick Grayson should be stopped at a certain point and not allowed to age anymore.
    No,7 years of age difference means Bruce was 7 years old when Dick was BORN. 18 year-old Bruce smoking a pipe and living with his 11 year-old ward actually made sense.
    Last edited by Onthetrapeze; 09-04-2018 at 01:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Onthetrapeze View Post
    No,7 years of age difference means Bruce was 7 years old when Dick was BORN. 18 year-old Bruce smoking a pipe and living with his 11 year-old ward actually made sense.
    I have NEVER known any teen-aged pipe smokers. Bruce was also a very LARGE teen-aged pipe smoker.

I have NEVER known any teen-aged pipe smokers. Bruce was also a very LARGE teen-aged pipe smoker.
    My brother got into pipe smoking and some of my friends start smoking pipes when they were teens.

Mighty Member

Great explanation of how Barbara got elevated as Dick's main love interest at Kori's expense.

Dick ‘chose’ Babs since most of his writers either are more familiar with that relationship, prefer that relationship, put them together because DC editorial wanted them to, think that Babs is his default love interest or just don’t know much about Dick and Kory and assume that the DickKory relationship is pure lust (which for the record, it isn’t).

This is a fairly complicated reply, mainly because the answer relies on a combination of canon, characterisation and the comics/editing outside (aka in the real world). Also I’m admitting it now that I’m much more biased towards Dick and Kory (The New Teen Titans was the first comic series I fully completed and I prefer their relationship to Dick and Barbara).

Pre-flashpoint Real World: Nightwing and Starfire were originally going to get married. When that plan failed, Nightwing's character was put into limbo for a year or so, with a couple of guest appearances, before he was finally given a mini-series and then his own proper series. Since his botched wedding was a pretty big failure and the New Titansseries had declined in popularity and general writing quality, DC and Dixon basically tried to separate the idea of Nightwing and the Titans. That's why Kory (Starfire) is rarely mentioned in that series, despite the fact that she was his canon girlfriend (and eventual fiancé) for something like five years in canon, and the fact that he was 100% fully in love with her and seemed pretty comfortable with the idea of spending the rest of his life with her. Anyway, Dixon needed to lessen the DickKory relationship, and so he did that through a series of (poor) retcons, rarely mentioning her, or belittling her in order to boost up Babs/whatever other love interest.

The writers wanted to push for the whole 'Dick and Babs were soulmates from the moment they met' and so the result of that was a bunch of retcons, slowly erasing a big portion of the DickKory relationship and also making characters like Bruce and Babs hate Kory/make snide comments about her, despite it being really out of character for them.

Pre-flashpoint Canon: That's why it suddenly felt like he 'fell out of love with Starfire', because Dick went from wanting to marry her and spend the rest of his life with her (although the actual marriage was impulsive, but that's a can of worms for another day) to suddenly declaring that Barbara Gordon had always been 'the one' and was 'above the others' and barely mentioning Kory (and if she was mentioned, it was some sort of belittling comment about their relationship). Dick was retconned as always holding out some sort of hope for Babs to love him, and Kory became ‘slutty alien who got in the way of DickBabs’ :/

Post-flashpoint Real World: Dick and Kory’s history was mentioned, but since they were on different teams and the Titans had been retconned out, their relationship has barely been explored and so I can’t really help you much with that. Their relationship still had fans (mainly due to Robin/Starfire in the animated show) and so DC mentioned Nightwing and Starfire dating, but that was mainly it since most of what Scott Lobdell wrote is currently/has been retconned. Nightwing and Babs are popular, too, and since the pre-flashpoint universe ended with Babs and Dick almost getting married, it makes sense that DC would keep on pushing for Dick and Babs.

Post-flashpoint Canon: Dick and Kory presumably didn’t date that long, and their relationship has been mentioned like four times (with most of them being from Kory’s side of things; Tim Seeley has only mentioned DickKory when he needs something to compare Dick and Shawn with). Dick and Babs connection has been much stronger since they crossed a lot more in the Batfamily books. However Dick and Babs (as far as I’m aware) have romantic tension, but haven’t actually dated before (yet) so he’s presumably ‘chosen’ Babs since his relationship with Kory has currently been written as something that was one-sided and Babs has been seen as his ‘soulmate/ultimate love interest.’

(also if you got this far, props to you! personally I find Dick and Babs too similar in the fact that they both repress their emotions too much, and so I think their relationship wouldn't work out/would suffer as a result of that. Babs always struck me as the kind of person who didn't like needing people emotionally and enjoys her independence, whereas Dick has always been the kind of character who at heart, needs people and a strong emotional connection, and therefore after a while they'd be stuck in a situation where one of them would have to sacrifice their emotional needs to make the relationship work).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nightwing/c...over_starfire/