Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Didn't the cause of the Stamford tragedy eventually turn out to be the corporation that was tasked with cleaning up the aftermath of superpower battles and other disasters decided to amplify villains' powers to pad their profits? That wasn't the readers' fault, that was Marvel's own telling of the story that eventually made the pro-registration side to be villains. Because the pro-registration side did nothing to determine the actual cause of the disaster, and the disaster was a pre-text.
    The pro-registration side came out looking like villains because registration meant "The government can forcibly draft you into service at any time just because you have powers" when it was only supposed to mean "The government knows who can do what."

That was too reasonable, though, and didn't get enough fans pissed off, so editorial changed the rule book midstream.

Other things that made the pro-registration side look like villains:
    -Throwing those who refused to register into the fucking Negative Zone, removed from their homeworld
    -No due process
    -War Machine pointing a fucking cannon at a kid on a cloud
    -Cover-up of an Initiative recruit's death during an excessive training exercise

I think I could keep going, so I'll stop. That whole registration thing remains the worst mark in Marvel's entire history for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDraven View Post
    What. Just. Happened. To comics.
    Do you think this is a radical step that Marvel are taking?

Because they actually lived through the 90s crash and have no desire to live through another one? I am kind of shocked at how quickly 1990s Marvel cam back from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Because they actually lived through the 90s crash and have no desire to live through another one? I am kind of shocked at how quickly 1990s Marvel cam back from the dead.
    So EricDraven and Anthony W feel Marvel have taken a back step in the All New Marvel NOW?

I was kind of non-plused with the new direction that Jonathan Hickman has taken the Marvel Universe when his Avengers books first came out, because it did feel a little like the 1990's, after we were so used to the Bendis era of characterisation, was pushed aside for plot requirements. But the vast scope of his vision is starting to come into focus now, and I suppose it needed that Hickman treatment of being unfamiliar, to make that epic. Bendis could look into the soul of his characters, but Hickman had to look into the mission of the Avengers. I think what Hickman has done now with the Builders Million year design of life, the repurposing of the Ex Nihilos, and smashing of the New universal Superstructure, the corrupted biomechanics of the ex Nihilo bombs on Earth, the heightened level that AIM has reached in regards to their handle on the Incursions and their utilising the Multiversal disaster, has transformed what we think of the Cosmic level we had been led to expect from Abnett and Lanning.

And the ANMN has destroyed the Heroic Age a lot sooner than I would have expected. I still recall that graphic on that cave wall in the Future, showing the course of history ending in "Infinite Futures", followed by a "vortex symbol". It just shows how fickle fate is when you think you have reached the pinnacle of your trade, this has to happen and you fall back a few pegs till you find your rightful place in the Universe. That seems to be what the Avengers are about to experience soon enough.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-22-2014 at 11:50 PM.