Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    exactly. if people were around for all these events and changes then why are they freaking out now?
    I take all of these changes in stride, because i've seen things like this before and it always reverts back after a year or two.

This is like being shocked and outraged about the Olympics being held even though it happens every four years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    They've done things like this with the justice league before....
    Before I was born thankfully.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't have too much of a problem with Cap'n Falcon, though it has been less than 10 years since Bucky was the good Captain.

Glad to see Scott Lang, Angela, and Doctor Strange present.

IRON MAN looks dumb.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don't have too much of a problem with Cap'n Falcon, though it has been less than 10 years since Bucky was the good Captain.
    Ughh I would totally buy a Captain Falcon book.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Marvel started to lose me when the Image guys came in on X-Men, and it was unreadable. I eventually kicked X-Men. Later I kicked Spidey, but came back and liked JMS and Slott. Loved Avengers until Bendis. After that, I quit Marvel almost forever except for out of continuity or on the fringe, like Agents of Atlas or Strange Tales.

Been reading and collecting for 40 years now, and I have to say that this announcement is the single biggest stunt I've ever seen. A crashing title wave, and there's no build up as has been mentioned before. I've liked these characters, but what Marvel is doing with them now just feels so alien. My money is going to the indies doing really fresh great things, like Image, Dynamite, Valiant, Dark Horse and Vertigo.

I'm convinced Marvel is setting up to reboot, and I'll probably come back for that, otherwise, it's not my Marvel anymore. Continuity is dead and the characters I loved are unrecognizable.
    It's funny because anyone who's been reading Captain America knows that this "there's been no build-up" thing is blatantly false.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Before I was born thankfully.
    even recently...We had a justice league lineup that had Dick Grayson Batman, Donna Troy, Mon El, and Congorilla.

Quote Originally Posted by genixx View Post
    greeeaaaat... "superior" iron-man. who was the genius at marvel that decided using "superior" was a good idea. silver!? really silver?! my guess its arno screwing with Tony's head and down the road they will become enemies. AND whats with all this gender and racial swapping going on? stop screwing with established characters like this! however, i am a bit surprised that it took this long to get an african/american captain america since we have one in office now.
    Well, was there a graphic novel, Red, White and Blue, or something alone those lines, where a black man named Issiah Bradley became Captain America, however briefly? In continuity I believe, if you look to some early Young Avengers stories, before Civil War, with him visting Teddy, the Patriot, in hospital, along with some other Young and then New, Avengers.

Astonishing Member

even recently...We had a justice league lineup that had Dick Grayson Batman, Donna Troy, Mon El, and Congorilla.
    Yeah but aside from Dick Grayson, they didn't replace the actual solo books.

They've done stuff like this before...

Do you remember Heroes Reborn? The Age of Apocalypse? Avengers Disassembled? Dark Reign?
    Heroes Reborn is looked back at with disdain as failure of a reboot, Age of Apocalypse was an event lasting 4 months and didn't affect the MU as a whole, Avengers Disassembled was an event and the Avengers reformed the month after it ended, and Dark Reign still had the Avengers around with their own book.

BANNED

Major props to Kasper Cole, Username taken and Moriarty for setting the record straight about Sam Wilson's history and combat ability.

I want to give everyone here the benefit of the doubt, but it really seems that for a few people who are supposed to be grown men, they're so threatened by the notion of this not being "my Captain America" (i.e. a White male) that they'll completely distort a worthy character's history even while they offer up a White male with comparable qualifications (e.g. John Walker) as a more suitable alternative.

This is so much like a few weeks ago when Michelle Howard became the first female to achieve a four-star officer position in the U.S. Navy and the first Black female to ever become a four-star officer in the whole U.S. Military. She had people decrying her achievement as only happening because she was Black and/or female, despite that very (unsound) logic suggesting that the word "first" wouldn't apply anywhere in the equation if the notion held any water.

You had some people trying to mask their bigotry by saying even if she was qualified, she still only got it because she is Black and/or female. That's still just a poorly disguised attempt at avoiding having to acknowledge that a female or Black person could be qualified for the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada
    In the case of Thor, the complaint is that it's not the role of "God of Thunder" that was being taken away (something that's been done before) but the character's own name too: in the past, when the mantle shifted, it went to someone of a different name.
    Eric Masterson went by "Thor" for two years in the early 90s.

Fantastic Member

I like this Avengers NOW line up!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    Eric Masterson went by "Thor" for two years in the early 90s.
    Aside from the fact that he was actually merged with Thor in some way for a short time as well, it made sense as he was pretending to be Thor, effectively identity theft. It is a little harder to pull that off when even a three year old can spot the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Heroes Reborn is looked back at with disdain as failure of a reboot, Age of Apocalypse was an event lasting 4 months and didn't affect the MU as a whole, Avengers Disassembled was an event and the Avengers reformed the month after it ended, and Dark Reign still had the Avengers around with their own book.

We don't know how these stories will be received, we don't know how long this change will last, and Steve Rogers and Thor Odinson aren't aren't going anywhere they'll still be around.

The point is they've done these sweeping changes before, this is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah but aside from Dick Grayson, they didn't replace the actual solo books.
    Mon El did replace Superman in his book. Superman wasn't appearing in Action Comics or Superman for a solid year because of the New Krypton stuff.

As I said they've done this stuff with Justice League also.

So there's no plans for BP in 2015.