Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by empsolo View Post
    Where are my asian characters? Every time a new minority character is created or pushed to the headlines the person is usually black. Even though Asians like myself make up a good portion of this country's demographics. How is this diversity again?
    That's not true look at the new ghost rider and Ms marvel for example
    We need better comics

These changes seem pretty interesting, I'm glad to see dante again, other than Ms. Marvel, they haven't really explored new inhumans all that much, despite the push they were supposed to get.

I just wonder how many of these changes are going to stick this time.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    That's not true look at the new ghost rider and Ms marvel for example
    Yeah. You do realize that Ms. Marvel is Pakastani right? Pakistani=/= east Asian. Isn't the New ghost Rider latino?

Yeah. You do realize that Ms. Marvel is Pakastani right? Pakistani=/= east Asian. Isn't the New ghost Rider latino?
    That's not my point you said everything a new minority is created or pushed they're usually black I was just pointing out that not only black characters that get introduced
    We need better comics

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    That's not my point you said everything a new minority is created or pushed they're usually black I was just pointing out that not only black characters that get introduced
    Usually black is the operative word there buddy. One or two don't buck a trend.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

I've been out of the loop, what in the hell happened to Deathlok?!

Actually, all of this confuses me lol. Male Thor died? Regular Captain America cant be Captain America?? Tony Stark is an even bigger douche...in California?!

I think I've ducked my head into their Hawkeye, Moon Knight, IronFist, Elektra, and Black Widow titles for so long, that I forgot to check what's happening everywhere else. Wolverine is dying?! Nooooo lol, I'll miss him. Can we get a really well made videogame before he goes??

Nah really I like change so I'm interested to see where they're going with all this. Time to catch up and find out why all of this is even happening.

.....I gotta say that Deathlok looks lame when compared to the original design though.

EDIT: When did Angela get here?! waaaat?? Must've missed a huge crossover somewheres.
    Last edited by BertoFlyingFox; 07-17-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by EricDraven View Post
    What. Just. Happened. To comics.
    My sentiments exactly!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I guess black Iron Man was different than black Captain America because.....actually I don't know. I'd hate to think it's because Iron Man doesn't have "America" in the name so that's ok.
    What made James Rhodes taking over Iron Man okay was…
    1 - The character being defined by the suit rather than the unique qualities of the individual within the suit, and
    2 - The build up to replacement (even temporary) was long and totally understandable.

As someone who has read much of Captain America's adventures (including the 40s and 50s runs), I find the notion of Sam Wilson becoming Captain America absurd because
    1 - Sam Wilson has never expressed the desire to rise higher in the military ranks,
    2 - Sam Wilson has never been much of a team leader the way Captain America has, and
    3 - in the modern times, Captain America has to be more than just a guy in the suit: there is a unique physique to it.
    It really seems arbitrary, a kind of "quick, let's get a new Cap who's not white. That'll catch attention!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    What made James Rhodes taking over Iron Man okay was…
    1 - The character being defined by the suit rather than the unique qualities of the individual within the suit, and
    2 - The build up to replacement (even temporary) was long and totally understandable.

As someone who has read much of Captain America's adventures (including the 40s and 50s runs), I find the notion of Sam Wilson becoming Captain America absurd because
    1 - Sam Wilson has never expressed the desire to rise higher in the military ranks,
    2 - Sam Wilson has never been much of a team leader the way Captain America has, and
    3 - in the modern times, Captain America has to be more than just a guy in the suit: there is a unique physique to it.
    It really seems arbitrary, a kind of "quick, let's get a new Cap who's not white. That'll catch attention!"
    Course, Sam has already taken on the role of Captain America before. So this is actually nothing new. Just saying.

BANNED

Where are my asian characters? Every time a new minority character is created or pushed to the headlines the person is usually black. Even though Asians like myself make up a good portion of this country's demographics. How is this diversity again?
    It's diversity because that's what the parent company wants.
    ABC just did their fall season press tour and the emphasis was on presenting black characters at the forefront, and women behind them.
    And they're both owned by Disney.

You're right about the distortion of diversity.
    The new Ms. Marvel is the second Muslim in all Marvel (Dust being the first).
    Asian characters are reduced to martial artists (Shang-Chi, Psylocke).
    Hispanic characters are also rare (the new Ghost Rider is about the only one who has any spotlight).
    Native characters are limited to failure/guest roles (Moonstone, Wyatt Wingfoot).
    A lot of different nationalities have one mutant to be their voice (Sentinel, Siryn, Colossus).
    Mormons are not represented at all.

But as long as Marvel can connect with the vocal groups out there — the African American lobby who wants equal representation now that they've finally conquered the ultimate colour barrier in politics, the feminist lobby who is out to get you prepared for "Madame President" — then it looks like it's more progressive than its distinguished competition.

Shocking isn't Shocking anymore when everything is Shocking.

One of the reasons I mostly read C- and D-list characters is because their success and promotion isn't depended on movie deals. Like, you know, 95% of the people in that picture.

Also, isn't all this "Diversity" actually bad considering it's all going to get changed back later to their "white male" originators? Doesn't that actually kinda set diversity back?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

So how soon are we going to have a Daredevil/Superior Iron Man crossover?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

Also, isn't all this "Diversity" actually bad considering it's all going to get changed back later to their "white male" originators? Doesn't that actually kinda set diversity back?
    That's been my point since day one of this whole mess.

Amazing Member

The new Thor and new Cap seem like they'll be interesting. I've heard really good things about Aaron's run and I already know that Dauterman's art is going to be great (shame that Ribic didn't stay on though) and I'm already reading Remender's Cap. I'm presuming that Dean White's going to stay on as colorist, so his colors with Immonen's pencils are going to make this one of the best looking books out there. The team for Iron Man disappoints me though. While the direction seems kind of interesting, Taylor doesn't really excite me and I have no idea what the artist has done before. I was really hoping for someone like Ewing, Waid, or KSD, and that it would be a more fun book.

To be fair, I think this might've be the first time at Marvel there's been a solo book for a South Asian character.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Shocking isn't Shocking anymore when everything is Shocking.

One of the reasons I mostly read C- and D-list characters is because their success and promotion isn't depended on movie deals. Like, you know, 95% of the people in that picture.

Not necessarily. I think giving the characters spotlight and greater exposure is potentially a good thing even of the originals return. If they can build up a fan base and get people behind the characters then there's a net gain.

James Rhodes is still around today, even though Tony Stark took back the suit. Same can be said for Shuri after T'Challa was temporarily depowered.