Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default NFL 2018 OFF-Season thread

With the Philadelphia Eagles winning the last Super Bowl , we can now move onto the off-season of 2018 and build to the season ahead. Times are changing for the NFL as the big question marks are ahead.

- How will Chiefs & Redskins do with the trade ?

The big trade dominated headlines in the week before the Super Bowl as Pro Bowl QB , Alex Smith was traded for a 3rd round pick and 2nd year CB. The Chiefs will hand the job to Patrick Mahomes this season . So how will the Redskins fare with moving on from Kirk Cousins and how will the Chiefs do with Mahomes now expected to start in his 2nd season ?

- New England loses 2 coordinators in quick order :

Usually Bill Belichick has a plan in place before losing valuable coordinators. But this time things seem a bit off. In 2011 when replacing Bill O'Brien , he had Josh McDaniels on deck waiting again. This time there is no one seemingly on deck. Also on defense he lost Patricia who had been a coach with the team since 2004. That is 14 seasons of being there. Both men will be hard to replace and New England has to do that.

- How will Josh McDaniels and Mike Patricia do as coaches ?

Both men are moving to franchises that aren't in New England's league. The Colts have so many holes its a question on whether McDaniels can rebound them or not. Andrew Luck didn't play in 2017 due to a bad shoulder and he hasn't been the same QB since 2014. Patricia meanwhile has to help a Lions team make the playoffs after missing them a couple seasons.

- What teams will take QB's in 2018 NFL Draft ?

A lot of draft experts are predicting as many as 4 QB's in the 1st round and 7 in the 1st 2 rounds that could go ! Teams like Cleveland , Denver , Miami , New York Jets and Arizona maybe in play for QB's.

- Cleveland Browns , can they repeat 0-16 ?

Stories coming out are the Browns have continued their bumbling ways as they had a chance to trade for Alex Smith but suddenly stopped due to the fact they didn't want to give Smith an extension and pay him big money. Its the same way they cut Joe Haden last year. At this rate the Browns may repeat 0-16 again.

- Who will start in Minnesota ?

The Vikings are approaching 2018 with a big QB question as Case Keenum took them farther than any QB in recent memory. Sam Bradford was once the chosen one who suffered another career injury and former 1st round pick Terry Bridgewater hasn't played in 2 seasons. So which QB starts in 2018 ?

- Where does Kirk Cousins end up ?

Cousins is a hot commodity at QB right now and will demand between $25-30 million a season at best. Which team gets his services ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Cousins is a hot commodity at QB right now and will demand between $25-30 million a season at best. Which team gets his services ?
    I don't see how the Skins can franchise tag Cousins when they don't have enough cap room. Don't they have to have that money available under the cap to actually apply the tag?

And who in their right mind would trade for Cousins when they know the Skins can't keep him, so if no one trades for him, they would be forced to remove the tag and let him become a FA. Any team trading for him would be stupid, because they could get him without giving up picks.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just got an alert from Bleacher Report saying McDaniels turned down the Colts job and will stay in New England.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got an alert from Bleacher Report saying McDaniels turned down the Colts job and will stay in New England.
    NFL.Com has confirmed this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-coaching-job

That is a SWERVE FOLKS.....Josh McDaniels likely decided that his future best lies in New England. Now what do I mean by this ? Its likely Belichick will only coach a couple more seasons. And the team will be handed to him. He gets to learn at the feet of Belichick a few more seasons and take over the franchise. That to me is what they told him and he decided ...its best to stay.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

This upsets me as a Bills fan, but we'll see what McDaniels is like as a head coach in New England. He wasn't all that successful in Denver, but he'll have been back with the Hoodie for 6 years now and will most likely be almost a decade by the time he takes over again, a lot can change in that time.

In a 1st , the Carolina Panthers may have an interim GM be a woman right now. As the team put the last acting GM Marty Hurney on paid leave due to spousal abuse allegations his wife made.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...laced-on-leave

Right now before the Panthers hire any GM , the current one running day to day operations is a 20 year employee named Tina Becker who is the CFO of the team.

McDaniels quick change of heart now has put the Colts in a terrible spot and they basically won't have the best coaches to look at. They will have to restart the interview process and hope to get it resolved quick because in a month Free agency begins. Not a good spot for the Colts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...iels-backs-out

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    McDaniels quick change of heart now has put the Colts in a terrible spot and they basically won't have the best coaches to look at. They will have to restart the interview process and hope to get it resolved quick because in a month Free agency begins. Not a good spot for the Colts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...iels-backs-out
    Yeah, the Colts certainly are in a tough situation, having been abandoned at the altar literally at the last minute by McDaniels.

There are reports that Andrew Luck may need another surgery. But any way you look at it, McDaniels is dead in NFL circles for a long time. You don't screw over assistants like that.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

So is Bill B likely out as NE head coach? I really hope so, it will be nice to see whose responsible for NE's success Tom or Bill. I wonder if Bill would take the head coaching job in Indy? That would be a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    So is Bill B likely out as NE head coach? I really hope so, it will be nice to see whose responsible for NE's success Tom or Bill. I wonder if Bill would take the head coaching job in Indy? That would be a great story!
    Bill is under contract next season at least - I read that NE made a very aggressive pitch to keep McDaniels there. Not sure what it was, but reports are also that he wanted stability for his family after his two moves to and post-Denver.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-colts-job/

"A major storm of ****."

*giggles*

Indianapolis Sports talk radio is going to be fun today, it's already started.

I'm hearing 2 assistants have tried to contact McDaniels and have yet to hear back from him.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    There are reports that Andrew Luck may need another surgery. But any way you look at it, McDaniels is dead in NFL circles for a long time. You don't screw over assistants like that.
    My uneducated guess is McDaniels knew about that and decided to stay put, assistants be damned. Most definitely a bush move, something owners and GM's will not forget, or forgive.

Just got an alert from Bleacher Report saying Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich is on the shortlist for the Colts job and are expected to interview him soon.