Page 28 of 93 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Raiders and Cowboys essentially swap fullbacks and draft pics. Keith Smith the Dallas fb last season signed as a free agent with the Raiders after being non-tendered by Dallas, so Dallas just traded for fb Jamize Olawale and the Raiders 6th round pick 192 overall), for a 5th round pick (172 overall).

A lot of the designed run plays in the playbook in the Dallas playbook are dependent on the fullback for execution and Elliot's numbers are quite good on plays with a fullback, so Dallas needed to replace Smith with a competent blocking fullback. An added plus is that Olawale is a superior blocker in pass protection too.

Small moves like this often get overlooked in the off-season, but pay significant dividends over the course of a season, but since fb never get fantasy points, most football followers gloss over it.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Bringing in a wideout is perplexing to me.
    I'm fairly certain Patterson was acquired for his return skills rather than his pass catching ability. Amendola is gone after a rookie couldn't be trusted to hang on to the ball.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This looks at the worst free agent signings....

#10 - Emmitt Smith to Arizona : What this video skips is the fact the next season after that terrible 2003 , Emmitt rebounded and rushed for 937 yards in 15 games. So yes he had a terrible 2003 , but the next year at 35 ....he rushed for more yards and had over 1,000+ yards from scrimmage. So this negates #10 , which really Emmitt's signing shouldn't be on this list really.

#9 - Scott Mitchell : This one is pretty true . His 1995 season was pretty spectacular. But he was terrible in playoffs and flamed out quick.

#8 - Ahmen Green : Pretty true , his age was what hurt him and how much effect his body took damage wise. He only started 6 games in 2 seasons.

#7 - Jeff Garcia : $25 million folks....and a hot prospect leaving the 49ers. The Browns era lasted 10 games before he was released. As told Garcia was a solid QB but played for a shit Browns team.

#6 - David Boston : Lost his career due to issues. He had bad hands and known more for the drops , his terrible locker room presence and more.

#5 - Neil O'Donnell : The Jets were terrible then and yeah as Douglas claims its unfortunate but he got a nice pay day.

#4 - Andre Rison : The experts have told me Andre Rison could be even better than Jerry Rice. As brought up Rison was faster , bigger and had more athletic gifts than Rice. As Carl Banks tells us , well what was missing is one guy (Rice) is committed to his craft fully while the other is just happy to be there.

#3 - Raider Super Bowl MVPs : Larry Brown & Desmond Howard - All Larry Brown had to do was stand there with his hands out and get 2 passes that was easy. The Raiders gave Brown a $12.5 million contract. Was released after 2 seasons. Howard was a wonderful kick-off guy but terrible WR. His best season was with Washington and he had over 700+ yards receiving but overall in Oakland in 2 seasons....6 receptions.

#2 - Alvin Harper : Harper was the Cowboys deep play threat and would be making huge catches. The Bucs learned he was a classic #2 WR.

#1 - Anyone the Redskins sign ! : LOL....this is funny. No team has spent more in free agent money and was never good. This as they bring up could be its own list.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonmasterJim View Post
    I'm fairly certain Patterson was acquired for his return skills rather than his pass catching ability. Amendola is gone after a rookie couldn't be trusted to hang on to the ball.
    Bill loves his special teams players. If Patterson can also play in the coverage unit Bill might actually flash a (barely perceptible) smile.

NFL News

- Ndamukong Suh (DT) was supposed to visit the Raiders on Wednesday but instead cancelled his visit and is mulling taking the LA Rams offer instead. Suh is considered the real last big free agent left on the board.

- Kansas City is working on getting Ben Watson (TE) signed to a deal. What is amazing is Watson turns 38 next year and will be used as a 2nd/3rd TE it appears in the system for Patrick Mahomes if signed. Watson amazingly caught 60+ receptions last year for the Ravens.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    - Ndamukong Suh (DT) was supposed to visit the Raiders on Wednesday but instead cancelled his visit and is mulling taking the LA Rams offer instead. Suh is considered the real last big free agent left on the board.
    I guess Suh didn't want to play for free here in Philly after all, not that anyone believed that crap anyway.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Giants have traded Jason Pierre-Paul to the Bucs along with a 4th round pick for 3rd and 4th round picks from Tampa.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 03-22-2018 at 08:47 PM.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

According to Bleacher Report, the Eagles will sign WR Mike Wallace to a one year deal worth $2.5 million.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Giants have traded Jason Pierre-Paul to the Bucs along with a 4th round pick for 3rd and 4th round pics from Tampa.

-M
    Wow, I thought he was a Giant for life.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Wow, I thought he was a Giant for life.
    I think three major factors (and possibly a fourth) played into it:

1) salary cap relief moving forward, they only save $2.5 million this year but take a big contract off the books giving them flexibility moving forward to reshape the team towards the post-Eli future.

2) the new Def. Coordinator is switching to a 3-4 system and JPP is better suited to a 4-3 system

3) the new GM trying to put his stamp on the team and clean house to change the locker room to make it his team.

also factor in a lot of reports that the Giants like Bradly Chubb, considered the best DE in the draft, and are considering taking him with the #2 pick, and it's a recipe to move on from JPP.

-M

Frank Gore signed a 1 year deal with Miami as the RB will turn 35 this year. Gore continues to chew up rushing yards and is 75 yards away from passing Curtis Martin for 4th all-time on career list. To pass Barry Sanders for 3rd all-time he needs 1,044 yards rushing. It will be interesting to see how much more Gore has left in tank.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I think three major factors (and possibly a fourth) played into it:

1) salary cap relief moving forward, they only save $2.5 million this year but take a big contract off the books giving them flexibility moving forward to reshape the team towards the post-Eli future.

2) the new Def. Coordinator is switching to a 3-4 system and JPP is better suited to a 4-3 system

3) the new GM trying to put his stamp on the team and clean house to change the locker room to make it his team.

also factor in a lot of reports that the Giants like Bradly Chubb, considered the best DE in the draft, and are considering taking him with the #2 pick, and it's a recipe to move on from JPP.

-M
    But Chubb is also more of a 4-3 DE. He could be a 3-4 Pass Rushing OLB, but they certainly wouldn't be playing to his strength. I suppose he also has the strength to be an undersized 3-4 DE but it would make me hate the Giants more than I already do if they use a talent like Chubb to just eat blocks for the Pass Rushers.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why teams hire coaches that change the defensive scheme when it really should be dictated by the players. Though giving a brief once over on their roster, it looks set for a 3-4, but I've seen many teams fire a coach and hire a coach who institutes the opposite scheme and it doesn't work for the team. It set the Bills back 3 years and the only thing that fixed it was going back to the original scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    But Chubb is also more of a 4-3 DE. He could be a 3-4 Pass Rushing OLB, but they certainly wouldn't be playing to his strength. I suppose he also has the strength to be an undersized 3-4 DE but it would make me hate the Giants more than I already do if they use a talent like Chubb to just eat blocks for the Pass Rushers.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why teams hire coaches that change the defensive scheme when it really should be dictated by the players. Though giving a brief once over on their roster, it looks set for a 3-4, but I've seen many teams fire a coach and hire a coach who institutes the opposite scheme and it doesn't work for the team. It set the Bills back 3 years and the only thing that fixed it was going back to the original scheme.
    It really depends on who a coach gets as defensive coordinator that makes a scheme change work. If its someone without much experience at the position it could lead to disaster. Its also the same offensively as well. I remember when Crennel who was a good coach decided in 2012 he was gonna bring in Brian Daboll to come in and change the scheme and it completely ruined the Chiefs offense. Its part of the reason KC went 2-14 that season.

In fact Daboll if you follow his entire offensive coordinator career with Browns , Dolphins and Chiefs he was downright terrible. Now he's in Buffalo....and will be...offensive coordinator again.

The Giants taking a DE #2 and not a QB would be an epic fail.

Chubb is not LT.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Frank Gore signed a 1 year deal with Miami as the RB will turn 35 this year. Gore continues to chew up rushing yards and is 75 yards away from passing Curtis Martin for 4th all-time on career list. To pass Barry Sanders for 3rd all-time he needs 1,044 yards rushing. It will be interesting to see how much more Gore has left in tank.
    Gore was still looking good last year, as far as form. And ... 961 yards last year. NINE HUNDRED AND SIXTY ONE
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.