Page 42 of 93 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I don't know.

Cleveland has a ton of money. It's not like they couldn't leverage a QB in a trade deal, right? Onward Factory of Sadness!
    Don't ya mean...downward?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Jimmy G unless he crashes and burns big time in a season or two with the 49ers will not be coming back to the Patriots. And given how solid he played last year with not so good talent around him , he looks like he's gonna be a star ahead.
    I'm a little late to this due to an addiction to the game Fortnite but there is one thing about Jimmy G that could be an issue. Like most young QBs he tries to do too much sometimes and won't throw the ball away and/or go down. Part of the reason Brady has hung around is that he doesn't take overly nasty hits. When he gets sacked he goes limp. When Brady was suspended Jimmy G didn't do that and got hurt landing on his shoulder. I hate seeing good young QB talent getting hurt because the game suffers as a whole. I could see Jimmy G, who I like a lot since I'm a Patriots fan, getting hurt again by his style of play. I hope not though.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Back with a new video we can critique for someone who doesn't really do much research...

Anyhow you can debate some of this....

- A reason Matt Leinart failed was more due to off the field behavior impacting his play and what he did on the field where he'd check down 90% of the plays. Which hurt him a lot. It wasn't injuries that cost Leinart.

- In a way you could name J.P Losman for the Bills the bigger bust since he was part of a draft class that produced : Ben Rothlisberger , Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers. 2 who have won Super Bowls and another who has produced for years and came close in Rivers. Losman never hit that same window.

- Jimmy Clausen was never supposed to start really in Carolina in 2010. In fact his selection as a 2nd round pick was one where the Panthers were gonna slowly groom him into a starter perhaps. Matt Moore was the starter for 2010 season but poor play and injuries forced them into starting Clausen before he was ready.

- Tim Couch was selected because he's normally someone selects. But the worst 1st round QB bust the team has was in fact from the 1970's. Mike Phipps is often over looked by modern fans like the one above but in terms of what they did and gave up....Cleveland traded all-pro WR Paul Warfield , a future Hall of Fame player for Phipps and selected him 3rd overall. He sit on the bench for 2-3 seasons before even getting a start !

- Jay Cutler performed ok for the Broncos and would have started longer if not for Josh McDaniels handling of that situation. Sure Cutler had a reputation for tossing Ints. But Tommy Maddox was MUCH...MUCH worse. And it pissed off John Elway who felt Dan Reeves was giving up on him too soon. Elway's anger with Reeves led to him leaving after that season and Maddox had a history of barely starting and playing poorly for a number of years til his return for the Giants years later. Maddox was the bigger bust...sorry.

- No one remembers Beathard in KC and its amazing the guy by-passed Todd Blackledge who was selected before Dan "f'n" Marino of all folks. I mean honestly , how stupid are you to not say this is KC's all-time QB bust ? Its like a damn given here. The guy threw 7 Ints in one game.

- Vinny Testeverde was selected #1 overall by the Bucs folks and tossed 35 Ints in a season. In fact after 4-5 terrible seasons he was allowed to be let go. Yet somehow Trent Dilfer ends up here ?

Its like whoever made this list wanted to be shocking and perhaps controversial. Yet comes across as complete silliness when you by pass 2 guys (Testeverde and Blackledge who were downright terrible and select guys who really ...1) No one remembers 2) Someone who tossed 35 damn interceptions in a season !
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

In NFL News , the Buffalo Bills its reported won't be "trading the house" to move up to #2 in the NFL Draft. That reports are they will wait til the 5th or 6th pick if a QB is there they want to trade up.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Eagles are mulling over and might accept an invitation to the White House. I can think of two players who’d probably decline: Malcolm Jenkins, one of those “sons of bitches” to use a derogatory term by Trump to describe players who kneeled during the anthem, and Chris Long who’s no fan of the Orange Menace. The Birds should do what Golden State players did, go to Washington but not visit the White House. For black athletes to chum it up with a vulgar racist in the Oval Office is a serious affront, if not an insult.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member

Chris Long skipped the White House visit when he was a member of the Patriots when the Patriots won the Super Bowl. I wouldn't expect him to go after winning with the Eagles.

Julio Jones has not reported for voluntary workouts and has deleted all pictures of and references to the Falcons form his Instagram account leading to speculation that there is trouble brewing on the contract front between Jones and the team. Jones has several years left on his contract but his average annual salary is now below what top tier receivers (and even some not so top tier receivers) are getting.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

So in a great behind the scenes NFL video , they discussed the 2004 NFL Draft and the whole Rothlisberger , Rivers and Manning draft breakdown. And what we didn't hear.

- For months the Chargers basically pegged Eli Manning as the franchise QB they wanted. Then as Dean Spanos claims 2 weeks before the draft outta nowhere they were told that Eli didn't want to play in San Diego. Which was a blow to them so they had to start looking at their 2nd option....Phillip Rivers.

- The New York Giants wondered if the Chargers would select Eli anyhow and get him to sign a deal so according to Ernie Acorsi (The GM then) they approached things with an idea of getting Ben Rothlisberger. That if they couldn't have Manning , well were gonna get someone close to that with Ben. Ernie was debating trading down to #7th pick and getting some picks and Rothlisberger there...but another team made him stop.

- The Cleveland Browns tried making a late trade up and offer from rumors he heard to get Eli Manning. So Acorsi sit and thought , well if I blow getting Eli Manning with a chance at #4 , I'll never forgive myself so I have to at this position. Either I get him or I get Rothlisberger.

- Anyhow Ben's agent thought they were for sure gonna get Ben with the Giants. But then the rumors swirled that a trade was gonna happen as the reaction is shown. The trade however almost never happened as Acorsi was prepared to go with Rothlisberger and it took AJ Smith to make the call. Smith wanted a player and draft picks and wanted to get Osi Umenyiora (DE). But the Giants balked and Acorsi claims no way would he give up a DE in this. Finally the Giants gave a 2005 , 1st and 5th round pick to get Eli Manning and swap Rivers to them.

- The Giants took a major risk on doing this. They risked taking Rivers and doing the trade. Because as Ernie claims they wanted Rothsliberger. No way could they do anything or would the NFL be able to do anything since a team can't draft another player for a team. At the end Acorsi said Smith was too his word and the trade went down.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Julio Jones has not reported for voluntary workouts and has deleted all pictures of and references to the Falcons form his Instagram account leading to speculation that there is trouble brewing on the contract front between Jones and the team. Jones has several years left on his contract but his average annual salary is now below what top tier receivers (and even some not so top tier receivers) are getting.

-M
    Jones has talked about resetting all his social media and letting go of a lot of it in general, the team said the deletion of the Falcons photos had to do with Jones wanting a "fresh start'' on social media and nothing more, and there's been no real hint of any tension between them. Veteran players skip the voluntary workouts all the time, particularly ones like Jones who get banged up throughout the season. Basically until he starts actually holding out on the mandatory stuff in June this sounds like fake news.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 04-24-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Jones has talked about resetting all his social media and letting go of a lot of it in general, the team said the deletion of the Falcons photos had to do with Jones wanting a "fresh start'' on social media and nothing more, and there's been no real hint of any tension between them. Veteran players skip the voluntary workouts all the time, particularly ones like Jones who get banged up throughout the season. Basically until he starts actually holding out on the mandatory stuff in June this sounds like fake news.
    For whatever reason, this year there's a lot of focus on false scandals in sports (I'll stick to sports).

- Brady and Gronk sit-out early practices all the time. This year is no different.
    - Same for Julio.
    - Sea Bass gets a retirement-like sendoff and signs with SEA. It's reported he's mad at OAK. All parties say, "LOLWTFNO!"
    - Long plans to sit out a White House visit. It's reported he's holding out, friction in the locker room, hates PHI, etc. He sat out the WH in NE, too ... both sides say none of that is true.

Those are just some of them.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Jones had also told the team he would be there for the second week of voluntary workouts (which was Monday ) and then was a no-show. So one of the 2 statements he made (he's just resetting social media and there is no problem) or I will be there was false. It may just be a change of plans on his part, or something came up, but when you take an extreme move to reset social media and then don't follow through on a commitment to the team you made (even if the workouts were voluntary, telling them you intend to be there is a commitment), there's smoke, moreso than the manufactured Brady headlines. Whether there's fire is unclear, but you don't make a commitment and then fail to live up to it unless there is a reason for it. It will likely be resolved in house, but the Falcons had told Jones their priority was extending Ryan and other players going into the last year of their deals, not players with multiple years left, which makes sense, but then management reached out to other players on the roster with multiple years left to talk extensions and rework deals for more money and not Jones. There's a lot of nobody talking and smiling to the press, but there's a lot of dealing being done to that may leave some folks unhappy, so it's a wait and see type of thing.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ever wonder how good a typical NFL QB really is compared with the usual college level player?

Jared Goff Goes Undercover for Hilarious Prank on Ventura College Football Team:

http://www.therams.com/news-and-even...8-46d297fd6054
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Both ended up wrong in this one. While it made for great comedy and 24 years later is replayed a number of times on ESPN during the draft , Bill Tobin wasn't right or wrong for not taking Trent Dilfer. He was pretty wrong in taking Trev Alberts who he had higher on his draft board for sure.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Both ended up wrong in this one. While it made for great comedy and 24 years later is replayed a number of times on ESPN during the draft , Bill Tobin wasn't right or wrong for not taking Trent Dilfer. He was pretty wrong in taking Trev Alberts who he had higher on his draft board for sure.
    While Dilfer rode the coattails of perhaps THE most dominant defense of the last quarter century to a Super Bowl win, at least he got there, which is a hell of lot more that can be said about Alberts. In any event, the only way either gets into Canton is with a ticket.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    While Dilfer rode the coattails of perhaps THE most dominant defense of the last quarter century to a Super Bowl win, at least he got there, which is a hell of lot more that can be said about Alberts. In any event, the only way either gets into Canton is with a ticket.
    I remember like a decade after this Kiper laughed over it and like he did here..."I stand by what I said..."

No one knows for sure what a player will do and its only about potential. Its like when Detroit selected Charles Rogers in the 1st round of the draft in the 2000's. Now no one knew that Rogers would suffer a career ending injury. All we knew was...this is what potential he had to be great. People look at Ryan Leaf in that comments section . Again potential...not sure fire star...and its rare to come out and see folks proclaim that.