Page 58 of 93 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In sad NFL News , former 49ers legend Dwight Clark has passed away at the age of 61. Clark last year was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and he sadly passed away today. Dwight Clark was the class over-achiever who was drafted in the 10th round of the 1979 NFL Draft. He became immortalized for THE CATCH and how it lifted the 49ers to its run of championships.

Even Dwight Clark's career starting in the NFL was very much luck. He had taken the call from Bill Walsh who wanted to see Steve Fuller throw the ball in a practice. So needing someone to catch the ball from Fuller and his team mate , he invited Dwight Clark to catch there. The guy seemed to make an impression on Walsh.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Would have been interesting to see how Clark's career would have gone if he didn't blow out his knee against the Cowboys in 1983. I think on MNF. He was already lackluster in the speed department. After that injury he hung around a little longer, but wasn't the same player.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Donald Trump acted like the spoiled man-child he is and cancelled the scheduled White House visit by the World Champion Eagles last night after learning only a handful of players would make the trip. I have zero problem with that, winning the Super Bowl was all I wanted, a glorified photo op with a narcissistic draft dodger and racist who called players "sons of bitches" for kneeling during the national anthem I could live without.

By the way, saw this on Twitter and found it fitting:

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-05-2018 at 01:44 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    In sad NFL News , former 49ers legend Dwight Clark has passed away at the age of 61. Clark last year was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and he sadly passed away today. Dwight Clark was the class over-achiever who was drafted in the 10th round of the 1979 NFL Draft. He became immortalized for THE CATCH and how it lifted the 49ers to its run of championships.

Even Dwight Clark's career starting in the NFL was very much luck. He had taken the call from Bill Walsh who wanted to see Steve Fuller throw the ball in a practice. So needing someone to catch the ball from Fuller and his team mate , he invited Dwight Clark to catch there. The guy seemed to make an impression on Walsh.

There's a great story on SI.com about a gathering of Clark's former teammates and former 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo held in Montana where both the ex-owner and Clark were living.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The best part of that video is the Cowboys players believing Montana was throwing the ball away. But as he said , trust me...If I was gonna throw the ball away ...I'd had thrown it sooner than get hit. They all seem to believe that til we see a clip of Walsh detailing the play in the locker room and how Joe's gonna look for you Dwight ....the ball will be high.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

It was absolutely delicious how that one play launched the 49ers era of greatness while driving a stake through the hearts of the Cowboys and their insufferable fans. Mr. Clark will be sorely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It was absolutely delicious how that one play launched the 49ers era of greatness while driving a stake through the hearts of the Cowboys and their insufferable fans. Mr. Clark will be sorely missed.
    Plays can change directions of a team and all. As we saw the Patriots would never have became what we saw without that hit on Bledsoe and arrival of Brady. This was one of them.

Plays can change directions of a team and all. As we saw the Patriots would never have became what we saw without that hit on Bledsoe and arrival of Brady. This was one of them.
    Not to disagree, but I thought the play in that postseason game against Oakland in 2001 that later resulted in the "Tuck Rule" helped propel the Patriots more. If that call where Brady had lost the ball hadn't been overturned, the Raiders more than likely would've won the game, and perhaps that New England dynasty might never have lifted off.

Extraordinary Member

Not to disagree, but I thought the play in that postseason game against Oakland in 2001 that later resulted in the "Tuck Rule" helped propel the Patriots more. If that call where Brady had lost the ball hadn't been overturned, the Raiders more than likely would've won the game, and perhaps that New England dynasty might never have lifted off.
    Doubtful. The early 2000 Patriots specifically in 2003 and 2004 were absolute powerhouses, Belichick was already building to that end. 2001 was more of them showing some early potential and getting a few breaks. But they would have very likely built that team.

Which is true I agree that play helped . I mean its one of those key moments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Doubtful. The early 2000 Patriots specifically in 2003 and 2004 were absolute powerhouses, Belichick was already building to that end. 2001 was more of them showing some early potential and getting a few breaks. But they would have very likely built that team.
    Maybe on defense but offensively this was not a powerhouse team in those years. Its been pointed out numerous times that the 2001-2006 New England Patriots offensively had a very average set of WR's , TE's and RB's. (Except for one guy)

Troy Brown (WR) - Lasted 15 seasons and played mostly special teams. Had one ...1,100+ receiving season in 2001. But beyond that never had a 1,000 yard season. In his 15 seasons from 1994-2007 he had 557 career catches for 6,400+ yards receiving. He is considered Brady's best WR in this stretch.

David Patton (WR) - Journey man WR , played for 5 teams total. Had 2 decent seasons in New England. Left in 2005 and played for Redskins and Saints. Outta the league by 2008 by age 33.

Kevin Faulk (RB) - Was considered Brady's safety check down guy and played well. Perhaps the most steady of Patriots RB's and lasted 13 seasons. Has over 7,000+ combined yards rushing and receiving in career.

Antowain Smith (RB) - Had one , 1,100+ yard rushing season in New England in 2001. But injuries cost him and YPC dropped. Played for 2 different teams in 2004-2005. Outta the league by age 33.

Jermaine Wiggens (TE) - Had 14 receptions in 2001 as Brady's TE. Played for 3 different teams after leaving New England and was outta league by 31.

Deion Branch (WR) - Average WR who never had 1,000 yard season in New England. Signed a big deal with Seattle where he under-achieved , returned for final 3 seasons to New England.

Christian Fauria (TE) - Played 13 NFL seasons and never had 380 yards receiving in a season. After 4 seasons in New England played final 2 seasons with 2 different teams. Outta the league by age 35.

Daniel Graham (TE) - Had a 400+ yard season receiving in a season and never came close to it again. After leaving played for 3 different teams and was outta league by 34.

David Givens (WR) - Average WR ..after 4 ok seasons in New England signed with Titans and was outta the league within a season. He was outta the NFL by age 25.

Corey Dillion (RB) - Perhaps the best offensive player Brady had in this period. Dillion joined the Patriots after 7 seasons with Bengals and being unhappy. In New England he rushed for over 3,100+ yards in 3 seasons . Had 13,000+ combined yards rushing and receiving.

Ben Watson (TE) - Maybe the best TE the early years Brady played with. Watson played for 3 more teams and is looking to play in his 16th NFL season. Coming off a 60+ reception season in Baltimore.

Jabar Gaffney (WR) - Journey man WR , played for 5 teams in 11 seasons. Was average and after 3 seasons in New England was gone. Played for 3 more teams after leaving and was outta the league by age 31.

Reche Caldwell (WR) - Average WR who never played much in San Diego. Played one season in New England and is famous for dropping 2 key TD passes from Brady. This summed up Brady's fathers rant how the Patriots needed to get his son help earlier. This spurred Belichick to trade for Moss and sign Welker to help. Caldwell was gone after a season in Washington and outta league by age 28.

Laurence Maroney (RB) - RB who couldn't stay healthy and was supposed to take Dillion's role over with team. Instead injuries and all cost him. The Patriots cut him in 2010 and after struggling in Denver ...was outta the league by age 25.

I'll give Brady this much, perhaps no quarterback in NFL history has won more with less (on offense) than him.

Extraordinary Member

I'll give Brady this much, perhaps no quarterback in NFL history has won more with less (on offense) than him.
    Yup. Even recently he won a Super Bowl without Gronk and had one of the best SB performances ever just this year without Edelman (albeit in a loss).

However some of that is overselling it. Deion Branch was a huge playmaker for them and a Super Bowl MVP. Aside from his first year and years he was injured Branch was good for 700/800 yards and was a monster in 05. Brown also had a career peak in the 2000’s. Dillon was also one of the best backs in 04. Also you had things like Vrabel running gadget plays and being incredibly effective and almost a prototype Gronk back then. It was just more of a committee and Brady rarely locked in on one guy. Later they revolutionized the slot position and Welker and Edelman became something of safety nets
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 06-05-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Brady could take Willie Davis and JJ Birden from the 1990's Chiefs WR teams and win Super Bowls more or less. He clearly is on a level where anyone can be plugged in and they produce for him.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Yup. Even recently he won a Super Bowl without Gronk and had one of the best SB performances ever just this year without Edelman (albeit in a loss).

However some of that is overselling it. Deion Branch was a huge playmaker for them and a Super Bowl MVP. Aside from his first year and years he was injured Branch was good for 700/800 yards and was a monster in 05. Brown also had a career peak in the 2000’s. Dillon was also one of the best backs in 04.
    Branch like Brown had their best success with Brady. You could plug any journey man WR as I posted into that lineup and Tom Brady would get 700-900 yards receiving with them in a season. Troy Brown had only 2 real big seasons (he caught like close to 200 receptions for like 1,900+ yards) but his career was an average WR. He wasn't setting the world on fire before Brady and after he slowly faded as a starter.

Now Corey Dillion you can say ...hey that guy was a legit offensive stud that Tom Brady had from 2001-2006.

Yup. Everything about that play would foretell the stinking, blind luck that the Patriots have had ever since!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.