Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is Black Lightening on Supergirl's Earth?

In the most recent episode of Black Lightening, they made a reference to Supergirl. And one of the characters was reading an issue of the Outsiders. Given this, there is a fan theory that BL takes place on the same Earth as Supergirl. This would also fit with BL's history in Metropolis in the comics. The showrunners have said that it had no connection to the rest of the Arrowverse, partially because it was originally developed for Fox and partially because it's filmed in Atlanta whereas the rest of the shows are filmed in Vancouver. But given that all the other super-shows take place on GA's Earth, would it make sense to sort of share space with Supergirl? Keep in mind that they also did an episode where they reference other heroes on that Earth whereas BL is seen as a vigilante. Other heroes in this case could mean Superman and Supergirl (and to a lesser extent, Batman, since he's been partially acknowledged).
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    In the most recent episode of Black Lightening, . . .
    Please tell me they don't spell BL's name that way for the TV show . . .

No, they spell his name right.

As for being on Supegirl's Earth, no. There have been references to other Metahuman heroes, whereas Kara has stated that on her Earth, its mainly just her, Superman, and Superman's friend ("My cousin worked with a vigilante once. Lots of gadgets. Lots of demons."). J'onn remains undercover for the most part. Besides which, I have a feeling SOMEONE on Supergirl would have referenced Black Lightning at one point or another.

I'm going with him being on another Earth.

Supergirl had her own electrical based meta-human, Livewire, so it would seem like if Black Lightning existed it would have occurred to someone to note the similarity between Livewire and Black Lightning.
    Livewire was a known villain and Winn and later Supergirl were able to track her down. So it would seem if there were another electrical based meta-human like Black Lightning the first assumption would be
    he also might be a villain and at least investigate him. Especially if he had been gone for years and then suddenly turned up again. Like, why is he there, what is he up to?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Well, keep a few things in mind: In the context of the show, Black Lightning (see, I spelled it correctly that time) has been in retirement for the last nine years. If Livewire is the only electrical meta operating at that time and there hasn't been another one around for several years, it makes sense they wouldn't necessarily reference him. Plus, I doubt they knew there were going to make a BL show at that time anyway. And in a world where Superman is a thing and has been for a while now, some street level guy who is more urban legend than well known hero isn't going to be on anyone's radar very much outside of maybe his own city. We know that aliens living openly on Earth are a common thing in the Supergirl universe. So some guy with electrical powers who may or may not get them from his suit isn't going to make the news every night. It's a level of weirdness type of thing. All images the public seems to have of him of him are security camera footage taken from crime scenes he's stopped. So in the eyes of the public, a guy with electrical powers beats up some street thugs for a few years and disappears.

In the Arrow-verse, the most well known superbeing is Flash. And he was very newsworthy at the time because supposedly he was the first real being with actual super-powers there. Again, level of weirdness type of thing. All the costumed heroes before that were powerless vigilantes. Compare this to the Supergirl universe which has had Superman operating for at least a decade and now aliens living openly on Earth.
    Assassinate Putin!