Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Create a new roster for the Suicide Squad

I absolutely adored the old Ostrander book before it ran out of steam following the death of Rick Flagg and Waller going to prison. However, I never really had much interest in the current team, as it always seemed to be trying too hard to be kewl and edgy. I never really took to Strip-O-Gram Harley, although I think she was a great choice to add to the team.

If you had your druthers, who would be your pick for a new team to revamp the book?

I think I would go back to a mix of villains and C-list heroes and misfits like Ostrander had. He had Deadshot, and Boomer, sure, but he also had Vixen, Shade the Changing Man.

Deadshot, Boomer, and Waller aren't going anywhere. They are the trinity of this franchise. Without them, you don't really have a Suicide Squad. I think Harley has clearly joined that trio as a mainstay on the team. I believe she's the team's new field commander now, right?

So, with those four serving as the core membership, I would start rotating the cast much more, bringing in new villains on a regular basis for one-offs and seeing which combinations worked best.

Mark Shaw, Manhunter was one affiliated with the Squad. I'd like to see him be revisted, particularly after the Kate Spencer Manhunter book exploded his world by revealing that he'd had a mental breakdown and had been his archenemy Dumas all along.

The Creeper has always been a good wildcard character who would play nicely off of the now Joker-less Harley.

I think Katana is going back to the Outsiders, so I'd like to replace her with the similarly badass Lady Shiva.

The new Tattooed Man introduced around Infinite Crisis seemed to be on a redemption arc, so I'd like to see that explored within the Squad.

Lashina worked great within the Squad as Duchess. It would be fun to see another Fourth World character pressed into service by Waller.

Doctor Polaris is a fascinating Jekell & Hyde type. Lots of potential there.

Any other ideas?

Fantastic Member

Great idea for a topic. Need to have a think. Surprised everyone isn't phoning in' their dream squad.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Waller
    Harley Quinn
    Deadshot
    Captain Boomerang
    Enchantress
    Nightshade
    Black Orchid
    Dutchess
    Shade the Changing Man
    Dr. Poison
    Bronze Tiger
    El Diablo
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 02-07-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I loved Ostranders run till the end. Definitely one of my favorite runs. I love Bronze Tiger and Nightshade but these two are probably done with the Squad. I need to come up with a list later.

Deadshot (squad captain), supersenses / trajectory
    El Diablo, deific pyrokinesis & transmorph(fire god)
    Harley Quinn, chemically enhanced strength, durability and healing
    Poison Ivy, plant manipulation via connection to The Green
    Catman, supersenses / agility

Boomerang (ex-squad captain, escapee), supersense / trajectory
    Livewire (escapee), electrokinetic & transmorph(electricity)

Obviously Waller is in charge, but we forgo military involvement and make SS a black ops ARGUS program. Series starts following the success of their first mission, which follows many similar beats as the movie. But instead retrieving the Enchantress, the target is Ivy. Ivy is being convinced to attack Midway City by Swamp Thing. The Squad removes Ivy from the Cadmus-stolen amplifier, and threaten to nuke the swamps of Louisiana unless Swampy leaves the city.

Instead of head-pop implants, I’d make em heart-stop implants with resuscitation nannites. That way we don’t have to worry about losing agent assets. Still, agent asset Codename: Livewire short circuits her implant, and is persuaded to short out her squad leader Codename: Boomerang. The two escape and the rest of thier squad is commissioned to retrieve them.

Codename: Deadshot is promoted to team “Captain”, and does his lone wolf best to convert his team of buttholes into a strong team. El Diablo is a pacifist heavy hitter, Harley is unpredictable and fearless, Ivy has megalomania and resents being manipulated, latest recruit Catman has a history with Deadshot.

Communication and transport is a huge issue, as they don’t have a Bat-financier, or a telepath to smooth the panic. Humor and frustration abound.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 02-07-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Amanda Waller - Organizes the team, in charge of missions.
    Deadshot- Mercenary; Team's field leader
    Boomerang- Escape artist; Comedy relief
    Harley Quinn- Intelligent; Also a psychopath and unpredictable
    El Diablo- Powerhouse; Also a pacifist
    Lady Shiva- Asassin; Silent and very deadly
    Bronze Tiger- Martial Artist; Second in Command
    Killer Frost- Powerhouse; Cold blooded killer
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Waller
    Deadshot
    Harley Quinn
    Captain Boomerang
    El Diablo
    Tattooed Man
    Ricardo Diaz/Richard Dragon
    Bronze Tiger
    Vertigo (Werner Zytle) and bring in the Count Vertigo from the YJ show to replace Zytle as a GA villain
    Killer Frost
    Captain Cold (Briefly) or Trickster before the Rogues break them out
    Kite-Man (Hell Yeah....)
    Slipknot
    Livewire
    Shade
    Silver Banshee
    Plastique
    Clock King
    Doctor Light
    Deathstroke (Briefly)
    Last edited by Denirac; 02-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.

My Squad would be filled with characters I could probably reasonably kill off.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My Squad would be filled with characters I could probably reasonably kill off.
    I don’t know if the original concept still works.

We’ve had decades of superteams fighting EACH OTHER, rather than supervillains. Decades of writers turning limbo into a market of potential darlings. The threat of death and actual death can be in the book, but I think rampant wholesale slaughter of silver age characters isn’t the world anymore. Especially with the merch potential in anything standing next to Harley.

What about this one?

(Just kidding!)

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Lady Shiva would never allow herself to be a pawn of Waller or even get caught to be put in the Squad.

Bronze Tiger - field leader
    Harley Quinn
    Ragdoll
    Silencer
    Killer Frost
    King Shark
    El Diablo

The current book desperately needs a roster shake up. I’m so sick of that line up.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-07-2018 at 03:42 PM.

What about this one?
    That blonde's not bad looking. Is that Diane Nelson?

This one is a bit odd but I think its a super team the goverment might want: Rick Flag Jr., Captain Atom, Wildcat, Etrigan The Demon, Plastic Man, Firestorm, and Killer Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    This one is a bit odd but I think its a super team the goverment might want: Rick Flag Jr., Captain Atom, Wildcat, Etrigan The Demon, Plastic Man, Firestorm, and Killer Frost
    No.... Just No. The Suicide Squad are designed to be Bad Guys sent into Suicide Missions that if they get caught then the Government can have deniability be ause they're Bad Guys- Thats their entire deal- The Guys you want are heroes, That seems more like a rather oddly combined JL filled with Misfits and Outcasts.... To Me, your team are Legends more than anything else- Hand them the Waverider...