BANNED

Default Superman#40 Discussion and Spoilers

This story takes place after Clark and Booster's journey in Action Comics. Turns out Clark has rigged the fortress to scan for planets that face the same fate as Krypton, and he picks up one such signal on the anniversary of his planet's destruction. Jon wants to come and after some badgering, Clark agrees, but only on the condition they don't tell Lois.

Clark and Jon arrive at the planet but the inhabitants believe they are fated to die by their gods and will not evacuate. Turns out their planet can sap people of their powers and strength, so Supes and Jon face a struggle until they are rescued by one member of the aliens that does not share their deluded notions.

Jon looked mondo feminine here, and the story reminded me a great deal of a recent Green Lanterns issue

The setup has been good. The idea of people wanting to die with the planet is interesting. I did not know that Superman could simply fly to another planet in this continuity. That was nice. This idea of Superman keeping an eye on other planets to save them from destruction shall be kept. Don't discard that. It can give some pretty good stories.

So far so good. Let us see what's next.

Always Rakzo

This was surprisingly good, much better than I've seen from Robinson recently (although his last Trinity issue was also solid). Interesting set-up based on Jon's heritage that is well-connected to the story itself.

Mahnke's art was off though, not as polished as his usual work. Still, promising stuff.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I thought it was really good in that he only had one inker, though I slightly prefer Alamy or Nguyen.

The whole issue was great, imo. Better paced than most and a clever exploration of the some underused ideas. Robinson isn't the most consistent writer but I never count him out and this is why.

*pause*
    "No."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I was expecting the worst after the utter disappointment of his Wonder Woman run, but this first issue was a pleasant surprise.

So this is similar to a story arc in the Green Lanterns series apparently. Robinson was surprisingly good, much better than his sub par Wonder Woman run. Maybe he's more comfortable writing Superman than he is Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This issue had some of Mahnke's best art in a while, wonder what book they will put him on after this book ends.

I liked the idea of Superman not wanting other planets and people falling the fate of Krypton. But dislike the idea that one if they believe in a god rejects science if the aliens were a fundamentalist sect I'd have no issue but the idea that all people of faith on this world rejecting science is as closed minded IMO as the religious extremis the story was portraying.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I dunno, I think there's a clean break from allegory there. Insofar as this being a suicide planet with a bunch of people who presume their religion speaks for everyone, and that an effort to survive is an offense. I don't take that as a knock on belief as I know it, although I've read plenty of comics asserting that faith and science are mutually exclusive and can't assume I know where Robinson stands.

Good issue. Mahnke's Jon looks terrible often, aside from that the art in this issue was neat.

It was a little weird (for me) that not one of them pointed out that if their god wanted them dead then he wouldn't have sent Superman to them (then them countering it with the whole 'you're the one we were warned about' bit playing out).

I also wondered why:

- he didn't do any research on the planet (the collective knowledge of various galaxies keeps getting tossed in and out of continuity but it's something he should be doing, especially if he's taking Jon with him. Granted, he had a protective suit for Jon...)
    - despite mentioning the GLC, he didn't reach out to them

I'm all for Superman being proactive (in a whole range of ways) but some of what was going on just didn't sit right for me.

Love Mahnke's work but he tends to show Superman straining when he flies, which is strange.

Has Jon ever been drawn worse (or more creepy) than in those first few pages?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    Has Jon ever been drawn worse (or more creepy) than in those first few pages?
    Took the words out of mouth so creepy I could not bring myself to bring the issue the preview turned me off so much.

Incredible Member

A nice set up reminiscent of a classic Star Trek episode. Good to see the S flying interstellar under his own power and establishing that the face masks being used for communication and NOT breathing. I notice that commentary for these individual issues usually don't get many responses in this forum. Meanwhile the thread on Supes in the JL film keeps going and going.... We only comment if we're angry with something, or in argument?

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

I thought this was an uninspired plot. On the day that Clark is talking to Jon about Krypton blowing up, it just so happens that another planet is about to blow up...and then the rational scientist versus religious fundamentalist bit...it's just not interesting.

Robinson has been disappointing me for so much of the 21st century. STARMAN was so long ago...!!