Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The first meeting here isn't a retcon, it's just exploring something we haven't seen before. But that's been said already. And the whole kiss thing? One kiss doesn't constitute a relationship and they were mindcontrolled at the time anyway. Rogue even said she doesn't want to acknowledge that as their first meeting or kiss because it wasn't fully them. She didn't want their relationship to be tainted by something out of their control, but something wholly theirs.

Yes it's clever topic for KT to adress. About 1 or 2 years ago I was looking for some Gambit stories to read while Marvel kept him in Limbo. I first got introduced to Romy in X-men 1-3 and the issues I picked up from before that was very sporadic. It all came down to luck considering what issues you could get in my home country, especially older issues. For some reason I had a lot of issues with Hulk, Punisher and FF. Very little with the Avengers for instance and X-men was very hard to find. Mostly it was issues from the Romita period. No clue as to why.

So I did some searches to actually find their first meeting and all I could find was the Muir issues. After a while I found them and just skimmed through them to find that elusive first meeting and I never found anything. It went from: never met ->appearing in team shot ->flirting in X-men 1-3. While not the strangest thing in comics it was a bit strange. For such a iconic couple there was no first meeting. No we have one and I think she did a good job.

I thought it was funny how both of them bashed Emma's "Therapy Sessions".

This series continues to exceed expectations. It makes me wonder whether Marvel thought that the Rogue/Gambit relationship was strictly a product of the 90s cartoon and not something that still resonated heavily with fans. I think the strength of this series proves that there's something special between these characters and it's worth exploring. Kelly Thompson is doing a great job thus far. I hope it continues.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Going through KT’s Tumblr Q&A and she was saying how there were some potentially ‘hmm’ moments that she was nervous about in #2 that might make more sense (I don’t know if that is the appropriate word to use here)/work better in the story as a whole, rather than in pieces.

So it has got me thinking, that maybe, their first meeting actually has more significance in this story that it actually seems, which is probably why we got a good portion of the issue just for that.

Here’s my speculation (that is probably completely off but at least it’s fun to speculate). We know from the solicits (and KT’s teasings on her Tumblr) that Rogue and Remy will eventually give in to each other in #3 and #4, and we can almost be sure that that can be attributed to certain elements of mind control which may have subconsciously taken place during the brain mapping in #1 (which may also explain how Rogue will eventually be able to get physical with Remy in the coming issues; she gets depowered like the mutants that appeared in the opening scene in #1). With #3 apparently being a “sexy” issue, I’m guessing they both are enjoying themselves in paradise while the actual mission goes forgotten because you know, mind control. But like Remy says, the only thing that cuts through mind control for him is Rogue, which probably means that he will be the one to notice first that this whole thing is completely off. And this may lead into #4 where they have to let go of this short-lived bliss (like it says in the solicits) to save the day, a bittersweet situation of sorts. Fast-forward, they save the day, and naturally, the question of their relationship status comes up. They’ve fallen in love with each other all over again and have acted on that love over the past few days but how much of it was mind control and how much of it wasn’t? It’ll almost be like a parallel to their first meeting; were their feelings genuine and under their own control? Was it tainted? (Like Rogue’s perspective of their first meeting). Does it even matter? (Remy’s perspective). Do they want to continue after that short-lived bliss? Start anew? Call it quits? I’ll say that the decision they take almost reflects how they’ve grown/changed since they first met? I don’t know if I even make much sense but the gist of it is just that there are parallels between how they view their first meeting and the crucial decision regarding the direction of their relationship they choose to go with in the present. Both are big moments in their romantic history together.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    CLASHING ACCOUNTS OF ROGUE AND GAMBIT'S FIRST MEETING EXPLAINED BY WRITER KELLY THOMPSON

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/...kelly-thompson

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Funny thing about what Rogue was wearing in the Muir Island Saga is throughout the entire story, Rogue ends up wearing 4 different outfits. The "Shredded outfit" only shows up in UXM#280. After Forge frees Rogue of mind control, Rogue was back in the Outback costume. This was in X-Factor #69. How it ended up like it did in UXM#280, there in no explanation. Also, in UXM#280, there are no shots of her feet, so I can't tell if she was barefooted or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity

Point of clarification. A retcon doesn't always have to contradict previous work. Sometimes it can just be an addition as is the case with their first meeting here. The history of these events were already told in broad terms and now KT is retroactively exploring continuity that was not established in the original story. She just did so without contradicting that original story in any significant way.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This series continues to exceed expectations. It makes me wonder whether Marvel thought that the Rogue/Gambit relationship was strictly a product of the 90s cartoon and not something that still resonated heavily with fans. I think the strength of this series proves that there's something special between these characters and it's worth exploring. Kelly Thompson is doing a great job thus far. I hope it continues.
    This

It's been fantastic for anyone who loved the 90s comics and show.

Marvel is finally returning to greatness after 15 years of rubbish and the anti fox crap.

I wouldn't say Marvel is returning to greatness. That's just putting the cart before the horse. Rogue and Gambit is very, very good, but it's naught but a tiny little beacon of light in an ocean of ****. Hence why it feels so wonderful, I suppose.

BANNED

The writer surprises me to a great extent. she is like a very good version of the author of Twilight. Very Good story telling and structure. One of the better books for Rogue and Gambit in a long time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    The writer surprises me to a great extent. she is like a very good version of the author of Twilight. Very Good story telling and structure. One of the better books for Rogue and Gambit in a long time.
    I haven't seen the second issue yet, but I liked the first a lot. Praying it ends with Remy and Rogue TOGETHER !!!!!!!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity

Point of clarification. A retcon doesn't always have to contradict previous work. Sometimes it can just be an addition as is the case with their first meeting here. The history of these events were already told in broad terms and now KT is retroactively exploring continuity that was not established in the original story. She just did so without contradicting that original story in any significant way.
    That link suggests that breaking continuity is an important aspect of a retcon. "Retroactive continuity, or retcon for short,[1][2] is a literary device in which established facts in a fictional work are adjusted, ignored, or contradicted by a subsequently published work which breaks continuity with the former."

Otherwise any backstory or fleshing out details of a past event could be considered a retcon? Retcon always seemed to have a pejorative connotation so it's hard to think of fleshing out details within continuity as a retcon.
    Last edited by K Nikk; 02-08-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Read under types and it talks about additions as a type of retcon.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

This was a really fun issue. The flash backs and the story of how Gambit and Rouge first met were great. For me this is the best Gambit/Rogue story I have read in a long time and I'm looking forward to the next issue !