Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Who is assimilating? Mutants into the countries where they live, or the land eventually belonging predominantly to mutants? Because if it's the first, that's what the X-Men have always wanted anyways, and if it's the second, that's one of the biggest reasons that humans fear mutantkind. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
    The mutants from different cultures ultimately adopting the values of the X-men.

And not sure anyone should be defined or govern their lives based on the fear of others.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Does anyone else but me get very strong "Jesus Christ" vibes off Jean Grey's portrayal in XMEN RED? Like she is going to bring about a new era for mutantkind and has risen again to cleanse sin and oppression
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I saw her get compared to Superman. It fits.
    I'd say Superman is a fairly apt comparison. And really this story so far fits with Jean in that she often can see what to her is a clear path to a better future for everybody, but she can be a little impatient with people who drag their feet or refuse to come along. Remember how her last press conference ended?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Yep, I want to see Jean form new ties and relationships which this is looking to do. I dont want to read about the same mix of characters again.
    Heck, for that reason, why have an X-men team book at all? Who wants to read about characters having interaction with the same people, same teamates, same villains we've seen before? Cassandra Nova? Done it. Jean feared and hated? Done it. No. Let's throw it all out. Let Jean be a mutant policewoman. Call the series NYPD Red. Think of the possibilities. Who wants to read about mutants? Been there. Done that.

In fact, let's throw all continuity out. Let every issue focus on a new Jean, in a new reality.
    Last edited by SugarMan; 02-07-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    No. A legislator pushing for the Mutant Deportation Act would seize upon the notion of a mutant nation to deport mutants from America. It doesn't matter if Jean meant it figuratively, or metaphorically, or what-not. Notions of a mutant nation utterly undermine Kitty's fight against deportation as those who want mutants out of America would rally to the idea that mutants should just leave and go find a home somewhere else. They'd push for rounding up all mutants in America and send them across the border and wish them luck on their mutant nation.

Jean's radical action threw Kitty's efforts under the bus. Lydia Nance, the woman who was campaigning hard to get mutants deported, would be sending flowers to Jean now.
    And then a mutant nation can declare war to defend their people and there are few nations that could defeat them in war.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    And then a mutant nation can declare war to defend their people and there are few nations that could defeat them in war.
    Yeah declare war on America and I'm sure they'll build sentinels faster than you can say X-Men, or call the avengers ¬¬

Mighty Member

No. A legislator pushing for the Mutant Deportation Act would seize upon the notion of a mutant nation to deport mutants from America. It doesn't matter if Jean meant it figuratively, or metaphorically, or what-not. Notions of a mutant nation utterly undermine Kitty's fight against deportation as those who want mutants out of America would rally to the idea that mutants should just leave and go find a home somewhere else. They'd push for rounding up all mutants in America and send them across the border and wish them luck on their mutant nation.

Jean's radical action threw Kitty's efforts under the bus. Lydia Nance, the woman who was campaigning hard to get mutants deported, would be sending flowers to Jean now.
    We disagree on whether their ideas can go together. Let's set that aside and ask why it matters? Let's say Jean is undermining Kitty. Jean doesn't have to be "right" in every sense, especially considering that there may be no 100%right answer to the question. They may be setting up Jean as a well meaning but flawed leader. That is a situation that has great story possibilities. A character who swoops in and does every thing right immediately isn't a very interesting character. It's possible that they are setting up the next version of Xavier/Magneto or Cyclops/Wolverine.
    Wouldn't it be unrealistic if only one person rose to the leadership role within the X Men, and every single person agreed with them?

There you go. You are now pushing the idea that mutants are dangerous and since they want a mutant nation, they should be deported and live somewhere else.
    No I am pushing the idea that mutants are human. The US didn't give a **** about what others thought when they invaded Iraq. Russia didn't give a **** about what people thought about Ukraine.

You live in a fantasy world where you want mutants to be held to some higher standards than humans. I live in the real world where actions are carried out based on a nation's ability to impose their will on others.

You violate the rights of mutants and you get dealt with in the same manner that humans have dealt with such things.

Fantastic Member

I'm not even going to touch the political nonsense in this thread because, ugh, whatever.

One question I hope the writer answers is, why the others stick with Jean. I mean, to get themselves off Interpols and MI6's most wanted list, they could just say "She was controlling our minds." I know Kurt wouldn't and I'll even give X23 and HB the benefit of the doubt, but Namor? That would be a pretty easy out for him, I would think.

There wasn't one mention of Jean's former relationships with Scott, Logan or anyone from her past and it was the most interesting I have found the character in a long time. I really hope the writers keep moving with this. I'd also like to see Jean interact with Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Maria Hill, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Human Torch and The Winter Soldier.

There are just so many possibilities. I honestly don't need her to interact with her past for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Yeah declare war on America and I'm sure they'll build sentinels faster than you can say X-Men, or call the avengers ¬¬
    No because America isn't stupid. The threat of MAD would bring them to the negotiating table as it did during the cold war. A nation of mutants are their own nukes. Nukes have been proven to be a deterrent for aggressive nations hence why countries like NK seek to acquire them.

You guys have a comic book mentality when it comes to diplomacy. In the real world destructive power is a deterrent not an instigator of war.

This is proven by the fact no nuclear power has ever been attacked successfully by another natoon and generally speaking other nations stay out of things when a nuclear power decides to violate another nation's sovereignty. Hence why despite Ukraine being a US ally all the US did when Russia invaded was sanctions not war.
    Last edited by remydat; 02-07-2018 at 09:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    Heck, for that reason, why have an X-men team book at all? Who wants to read about characters having interaction with the same people, same teamates, same villains we've seen before? Cassandra Nova? Done it. Jean feared and hated? Done it. No. Let's throw it all out. Let Jean be a mutant policewoman. Call the series NYPD Red. Think of the possibilities. Who wants to read about mutants? Been there. Done that.

In fact, let's throw all continuity out. Let every issue focus on a new Jean, in a new reality.
    Overreact much? Go read Xmen gold if you want the same retread and lineups we've seen dozens of times before.

BANNED

No I am pushing the idea that mutants are human. The US didn't give a **** about what others thought when they invaded Iraq. Russia didn't give a **** about what people thought about Ukraine.

You live in a fantasy world where you want mutants to be held to some higher standards than humans. I live in the real world where actions are carried out based on a nation's ability to impose their will on others.

You violate the rights of mutants and you get dealt with in the same manner that humans have dealt with such things.
    Yup. Magneto, should he decide to reconstitute the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, would love to have you on his side. You'll be making enemies of both Kitty and Jean, though. I seriously doubt Jean's idea of a mutant nation was to gain the ability to declare war and "impose her will on others".

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Overreact much? Go read Xmen gold if you want the same retread and lineups we've seen dozens of times before.

The mutants from different cultures ultimately adopting the values of the X-men.

And not sure anyone should be defined or govern their lives based on the fear of others.
    Sure, but that doesn't make the issues go away.

Your heart is in the right place, but if any mutant advocate made this argument, the anti-mutant advocates would be throwing victory parties.

Except that you seem to be talking about sovereign nations with distinct borders, where as Jean seems to imply that mutants would hold citizenship with their birth nation and the ambiguous mutant nation. This would irrevocably give them privileges and burdens that normal citizens wouldn't have, and that can't be a good thing.

Of course, if some on this thread are correct, and the exact meaning behind Jean's use of the word is being left vague intentionally, my argument could be moot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    We disagree on whether their ideas can go together. Let's set that aside and ask why it matters? Let's say Jean is undermining Kitty. Jean doesn't have to be "right" in every sense, especially considering that there may be no 100%right answer to the question. They may be setting up Jean as a well meaning but flawed leader. That is a situation that has great story possibilities. A character who swoops in and does every thing right immediately isn't a very interesting character. It's possible that they are setting up the next version of Xavier/Magneto or Cyclops/Wolverine.
    Wouldn't it be unrealistic if only one person rose to the leadership role within the X Men, and every single person agreed with them?
    Yes, there may be story possibilities of having these two have a catfight over how to protect mutants with Jean undermining Kitty, or the editorial just didn't care that their methods opposed each other.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    One question I hope the writer answers is, why the others stick with Jean. I mean, to get themselves off Interpols and MI6's most wanted list, they could just say "She was controlling our minds." I know Kurt wouldn't and I'll even give X23 and HB the benefit of the doubt, but Namor? That would be a pretty easy out for him, I would think.

There wasn't one mention of Jean's former relationships with Scott, Logan or anyone from her past and it was the most interesting I have found the character in a long time. I really hope the writers keep moving with this. I'd also like to see Jean interact with Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Maria Hill, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Human Torch and The Winter Soldier.
    Honestly, I could see Namor being much more willing to be seen as openly sticking it to the UN rather than saying a telepath got the drop on him.

It will be interesting to see if any super teams end up having to go after them. They know who Jean is, so it could make for tense conflict.