Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 16andCanadian View Post
    How the hell did Cassandra Nova get out of her prison? Hope that is explained later.
    She has been out on some level for awhile now. Cassandra Nova was screwing with the X-Men behind the scenes in the course of Austen's run.

It’s obv not an astral projection.

Jean could have easily been to all those places in an 8-12 hour period..

Is Wakanda in central Africa?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    There's our girl. Welcome back, pretty lady.

Scott Summers was a damn fool to ever look at another.

Kudos to Taylor and Asrar for capturing the essence of Jean Grey in a single page. Her beauty, her heart, her will--all right there.

It's a turd. I'm glad I didn't order it.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    I think the issue is no clear range is given. “The World” could refer to her literally scanning the entire world or it could refer to Jean simply describing the world she’s returned to while reading a smaller sample size. It’s not definitive either way and is open to interpretation. This is in contrast to Emma’s (assisted) global telepathic message in DOX (which was more than just 200 mutants), or Rachel’s global mindscan in WATXM when she was searching for the missing students.

Also worth mentioning that Jean here only mentions feeling raw emotions, implying a simpler or more superficial empathic scan. Going back to Emma she projected an actual message communication and Rachel was sifting through memories during their omnipathic events.
    If it helps she uses earth and the "world" interchangeably, she literally states she can't get a second-hand perspective of the world through the TV and that she needs to actually understand the world that was the whole purpose of this comic. How could Jean get a better understanding of the world by reading the minds of a couple people or a town? We literally see her talk about the world and then travel across the world. Also you do realize Jean is a Telepath right? Your assertion that Jean using an empathic aspect of telepathy is somehow less than reading the thoughts of everyone on the planet is an interesting set of mental gymnastics. By your logic wouldn't that make what Jean did even more impressive, she's a telepath who causally scanned according you the world's "emotions"?! Your attempting to project and downplay what's literally stated on panel...

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    You mean in divided we stand? Well most mutants were scattered around the world so that's planetary in range. And pin pointing them out from 7 billion other minds to communicate a specific message.

Theres no specifics how Jean tracked down those people. And "world" does not infere the range in this context it is a synonym for society. Additionally picking up stray thoughts is passive power telepaths actually shut off their telepathic barriers to prevent hearing people's thoughts. In the context of this issue world could mean neighborhood, or City or world. But it's not shown and that inference cannot be made.

'ive been gone to long to watch the world through a screen'. That in itself again shows he's using it as a synonym for society. You don't literally watch the world through a screen.tou watch snippets and it doesn't even show close to everything happening in the world.

To go even further there's not even an inference that she read T'Challas or malalas mind before assembling the group together
    Send a message to 200 people around the planet is significantly less than scanning the world's collective thoughts...

Define the word, world or synonyms for the word world and tell me again that world could describe a town or couple blocks. Even reading that scene in the context of the actual comic Jean's mission is/was about the entire planet, she used the words world and earth interchangeably and is literally shown visiting different countries around the world. Context is key this title, Jean's journey is about saving the planet. If local new reporters couldn't help her, how would scanning a town or couple blocks, she didn't imply or infer she literally flew into the sky and scanned the world, you can interpret that anyway you like. Although, it doesn't matter what Jean does you'll always compare it to Emma and somehow less, Jean is back and Emma is insane I'm sorry the X-verse doesn't revolve around her anymore...things change!

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

fricking cassandra nova
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive. I have lived all over the world. There are more things that unite us than don't. As a dual citizen, I identify with the culture of both nations. Not really that complicated or a big deal provided you believe in universal human rights. In addition, I am biracial and I identify with both cultures.

Sabra is an Israeli, a Jew and a mutant. There is no requirement she need to choose just one of those things. This sort of mentality seems like the one drop rule dating back to slave times. The world today is far more complex and people are far more likely to identify with multiple cultures not just one.

I think it is the reverse. It is not idealistic to think people can identify with multiple cultures and identities. It is largely how the real world is today. See above. There are far more people today that accept and celebrate multiple cultures than ever before in the history of the world. I think people let the obnoxious and loudmouth racist, xenophobic folks distract them from the fact the world is growing ever smaller and more integrated.
    Well said. We're all more than one thing. Only acknowledging and caring about one part of our person (and the presence or absence of that part in others) can contribute to zealotry, racism, sexism, xenophobia...

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    If it helps she uses earth and the "world" interchangeably, she literally states she can't get a second-hand perspective of the world through the TV and that she needs to actually understand the world that was the whole purpose of this comic. How could Jean get a better understanding of the world by reading the minds of a couple people or a town? We literally see her talk about the world and then travel across the world. Also you do realize Jean is a Telepath right? Your assertion that Jean using an empathic aspect of telepathy is somehow less than reading the thoughts of everyone on the planet is an interesting set of mental gymnastics. By your logic wouldn't that make what Jean did even more impressive, she's a telepath who causally scanned according you the world's "emotions"?! Your attempting to project and downplay what's literally stated on panel...

Send a message to 200 people around the planet is significantly less than scanning the world's collective thoughts...

Define the word, world or synonyms for the word world and tell me again that world could describe a town or couple blocks. Even reading that scene in the context of the actual comic Jean's mission is/was about the entire planet, she used the words world and earth interchangeably and is literally shown visiting different countries around the world. Context is key this title, Jean's journey is about saving the planet. If local new reporters couldn't help her, how would scanning a town or couple blocks, she didn't imply or infer she literally flew into the sky and scanned the world, you can interpret that anyway you like. Although, it doesn't matter what Jean does you'll always compare it to Emma and somehow less, Jean is back and Emma is insane I'm sorry the X-verse doesn't revolve around her anymore...things change!
    She did not scan the worlds collective thoughts there or at least there is no information regarding that scene. Id also imagine if she did they would be more detailed in describing it. As stated before it's not even shown that she read the minds of the people she visited. As reading T'Challas mind without his permission would be a violation of a sovereign nation. And she then sought people out to read their minds.
    There's no point even getting into an argument here. The scene is not detailed and again what she wanted to hear were thoughts of people in general. That doesn't outline how many. You don't need to be a telepath to be able to tell the world is angry. Which she stated before she even started listening.

All telepaths feel the "worlds" thoughts they just shut them out. The whole point of that scene is to show that people are lot angrier now then when Jean died.
    Context is key and you're reaching

Because news reports are bias and it's difficult to gauge why people are genuinely angry. She doesn't need to scan every person on the planet to realise why people hate mutants. She just needs to listen to the thought ether. If she actually did what you're saying it would be shown
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 02-09-2018 at 11:41 AM.

She did not scan the worlds collective thoughts there or at least there is no information regarding that scene. Id also imagine if she did they would be more detailed in describing it. As stated before it's not even shown that she read the minds of the people she visited. As reading T'Challas mind without his permission would be a violation of a sovereign nation. And she then sought people out to read their minds.
    There's no point even getting into an argument here. The scene is not detailed and again what she wanted to hear were thoughts of people in general. That doesn't outline how many. You don't need to be a telepath to be able to tell the world is angry. Which she stated before she even started listening.

All telepaths feel the "worlds" thoughts they just shut them out. The whole point of that scene is to show that people are lot angrier now then when Jean died.
    Context is key and you're reaching
    I'll just sit this right here, now you post the definition to whatever description of world your describing:

world
    wərld/Submit
    noun
    the earth, together with all of its countries, peoples, and natural features.
    "he was doing his bit to save the world"
    synonyms: earth, globe, planet, sphere
    "he traveled the world"
    a part or aspect of human life or of the natural features of the earth, in particular.

Oh, and the UK ambassador, also called Jean one of the most powerful telepaths in the world....but she probably meant, neighbor or a few blocks within the UN.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 02-09-2018 at 11:49 AM.

First issue grabbed my interest. Jean, Laura, Honey Badger and Namor(!) make for an interesting team by themselves.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

I'll just sit this right here, now you post the definition to whatever description of world your describing:

world
    wərld/Submit
    noun
    the earth, together with all of its countries, peoples, and natural features.
    "he was doing his bit to save the world"
    synonyms: earth, globe, planet, sphere
    "he traveled the world"
    a part or aspect of human life or of the natural features of the earth, in particular.
    If that were the case there would be no need for the sentence the "whole world".

In everyday use if I say the world sucks and people suck I don't generally mean every single person on the planet. I mean society or the zeltgeist

the worldHuman and social interaction.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/world
    ‘he has almost completely withdrawn from the world

If that were the case there would be no need for the sentence the "whole world".

In everyday use if I say the world sucks and people suck I don't generally mean every single person on the planet. I mean society or the zeltgeist

the worldHuman and social interaction.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/world
    ‘he has almost completely withdrawn from the world

I think we're done here, telepaths have been described as world class, in the actual issue Jean state verbatim what she did, not implied, or inferred you take that for what you will. Although, this does put into perspective all those times Emma has been called a world class psychic, maybe Rogue, Xavier, Jean etc., meant something else.

Also you can't project words into a comic that weren't there you think Taylor meant society or specifically a small number of people...however he used world. If he meant what you are implying here's a list of better words:

association, club, group, circle, fellowship, guild, lodge, fraternity, brotherhood, sisterhood, sorority, league, union, alliance

He didn't.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 02-09-2018 at 11:56 AM.

I think we're done here, telepaths have been described as world class, in the actual issue Jean state verbatim what she did, not implied, or inferred you take that for what you will. Although, this does put into perspective all those times Emma has been called a world class psychic, maybe Rogue, Xavier, Jean etc., meant something else.
    Jean did not state that she scanned the whole world or even the "world".

She stated "the world is angry". Society the zeltgeist is angry. We're talking about one scene. We're talking about exaggerating something that isn't shown. If Jean clearly acans the world in an upcoming issue then more power to her. But don't infere things onto something that isn't shown

We all use the term world that way. In Juno and the paycock the quote the world is in a state of chasis really was only referring to society in Ireland and mainly Dublin

Also telepats are constantly bombarded with thoughts from the world that doesn't mean they're bombarded with every single person's thoughts at all times
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 02-09-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Jean did not state that she scanned the whole world or even the "world".

She stated "the world is angry". Society the zeltgeist is angry. We're talking about one scene. We're talking about exaggerating something that isn't shown. If Jean clearly acans the world in an upcoming issue then more power to her. But don't infere things onto something that isn't shown
    "Inferring things onto something that isn't shown"...the irony!

BANNED

"She read the world's thoughts", "she read the world's emotions"
    either way, it's a cool superhero thing and Cyke is still dead.

*shrugs*