Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Forget the costume: Jean keeps changing of clothes in this issue (5 times I think)
    Loved that. Especially the long cardigan outfit and booties she was sporting while floating above Earth.

Beautifully written. I tend to go back and forth on Asrar's art. I didn't mind it here. Very excited for the next issue and for Gambit to join later.

I really liked this one. Its starts off like this is the second coming Jeansus, and she shall fix all, except nope. Reality check. Its not actually that easy. Welcome back Jean. Very good first issue IMO.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-07-2018 at 12:19 PM.

I don't really understand one nation under different laws and who decides these laws and what if you don't want to opt in. And what are they not subject to the law of the land they live on or is each mutant like an embassy. And if not then what's the point if it doesn't achieve anything?
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 02-07-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I would have loved to see Elias Bogan as first villain as we have not seen him ever since X-Treme
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Overall, I liked it, not my favorite thing I read today, but it was good. There were some moments leading up to the UN meeting that felt a bit "we are the world", but that's actually pretty true to Jean's character. I would like to see Jean getting caught up on what she missed and reacquainted with her friends, but I understand this might not be the place for it. My biggest complaint, and this was true of every X-book I read today, was the colors. They were murky and muted, Asrar's amazing pencils deserve better. I was also kind of hoping the big bad would be Sublime.

OMG, what an AMAZING first issue.

Love that Nova is the villian. Id love it if she assembles a team of Dark X-men mirrored after Morrison's lineup

Dark Beast
    Wolverine - Daken
    Phoenix - Madelyne Pryor having just bonded with the Force
    White Queen - Lady Mastermind
    Cyclops - Basilisk or a resurrected Vulcan
    Professor X - Cassandra

YAAAS! It's finally here! Jean finally gets what she deserves. Can we call her the mutant queen already? Mutant empress?

I made a little list of who could be the secret villain, Cassandra Nova was one of them and she's a very fitting choice. This really feels like a direct follow up to New X-Men in a way. I don't really know what else to say. Jean's characterization is on point. I love that she really went in on making a difference. It's midly infurating that it got screwed up so quickly, but it wouldn't be an X-Men book if that wasn't the case lol.

Jean saving a baby, Jean flying above the universe, Namor manspreading on his throne, those little moments of pure heroism are so touching and wholesome and I love. And I think Asrar's does a great job on them(and also on Namor manspreading on his throne). I'm excited to see the team going to the point where they are at the opening, it's truly a pain that this is a monthly series, specially since it was released so early in the month.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    It's not a good plan, Israel works because they've got nukes and all Jews are united under Judaism as a political - religious ideology, but Jean has nothing of that and without enough firepower and nations supporting them all mutants would be easy prey for governments that want to oppress them. Also if mutants are part of a different nation I'm sure Chinese or Americans would use that as an excuse to question their national loyalties
    Umm Jean is her own nuke at a fraction of the cost and maintenance. In case you didn't notice, the X-men have defeated tons of threats far more powerful than nukes. If the X-men united and actually wanted to destroy the military of a nation they could which is part of the reason humans hate them.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I just noticed, When Jean goes to see Namor, She's wearing teen Jeans X costume jacket

For a start it was good.

Nothing really innovative but earns points by at least making readers believe that X-mens think and want to change the status quo.

Before anything like a comic that originates in social justice and metaphors for minorities the X-mens has this advantage of being able to work with it without receiving a lot of criticism as with other comics involving SJW. This is exactly what is expected of the X-mens although many of their adventures are fantastic involving space, time travel or other dimensions the nature of these heroes and fans who love them is linked to the concept of underdogs or outcast.

Due to the nature of the comics we know that X-men can not triumph definitively that would be the end of their journey and for this same reason the mutants will inevitably go through another crisis of extinction or decimation.

But one thing is for readers to know this and another completely different is the X-mens at least do not even try to win.

So those moments where X-mens are not fighting some crisis of extinction or are not being drawn into some civil war between heroes are important. It is at that moment that they must fight for the dream and demonstrate through metaphors how minorities live in the world today.

I am happy that Jean is chosen to try to give a new focus to Xavier's dream and the problem is not that she does not win. This simply shows the reality, after all, refugees from wars and immigrants continue to seek a place where they can call home, minorities continue to be attacked and killed being forced to leave their homes, terrorism, mass killings, attacks using biological weapons all this happens in the world and no one has a solution for that. But the most important is why does it happen? And how can we stop it? Jean asked this question and is trying to get a solution to the problem. Of course it is not something that will happen easily but it is what drives people to seek answers and alternatives and in real life makes people work together for a better future the small victories.

In that sense having Cassandra Nova as an enemy makes sense more than many other villains and more than anything she wants Xavier's dream to never come true. It represents everything that prevents people from reaching their dreams and potential by gathering what is worse in people. If it were in the real world it would be the arms dealers, Dictators or anyone who benefits from the hate machine.

Of course, many here must have thought that it is not possible for a people or nation to exist without a country. And I agree with that, but from the point of view of Jean, the X-men, and Magneto this has been a big mistake by putting a target on the mutants in one place. From Jean's point of view first they must gain the trust and support of leaders for mutants to have rights like any human being in this aspect the support of Wakanda and Namor puts great pressure on the UN.

Maybe it's not a big deal for many here but it's definitely something you'd expect from someone who defends Xavier's dream.

The biggest challenges of this comic are the lack of friends of Jean after his return as well as the lack of introduction and impact that this causes in their lives. But maybe we have flashbacks to explain this or cameos.

Finally have more expectations in Red than in Gold.

Rank 8 of 10.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I won't call it a bad issue, and it's probably irrelevant since it's all gone to hell, but I see practical issues with Jean's plan.

For one it would lock mutants out of positions of authority in many nations, as foreign nationals tend to be forbidden from holding public office (joint citizenship or not.)

Which is to say nothing about the basic issues of being a nation without, you know, a nation; a proposed unity without unity or land. Who gets to speak for and represent them? By what right would they rule? How would it be even applicable?

Are they expected to be exempt from the laws of the land? If not then what's the point?
    My sense of what Jean's going for is mutants as a "nation" in a sense similar to how Native American tribes are considered nations, but still citizens of the United States. In other words, mutants are a distinct people, but not their own state. I could be wrong, and, if so, what Jean's going for is just a more polite version of what Scott declared with Utopia.

IMO, what weakens Jean's concept is that mutants aren't a distinct people. They don't have their own culture. They don't have a common historical origin or single language. They're humans from cultures and ethnic groups around the world who happen to be born with the potential for superpowers.

Blue & Gold have lowered my expectations when it comes to X-Titles but this was a very pleasant surprise. I really like the contrast in approach that is being set up here, Jean as a sociopolitical ambassador for mutant-kind, compared to how isolationist Wolverine and Cyclops had been, and how she tries to pool as many resources and allies outside of the X-Men as she can to achieve her goals.

Kinda sad it basically backfired in her face but it was a good and clever way of setting up a threat and showing how even a well-thought and very logical plan like trying to get presence within the global political sphere can hit very nasty roadblocks. Also Cassandra Nova, wow, was not expecting her. Looking forward to more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    YAAAS! It's finally here! Jean finally gets what she deserves. Can we call her the mutant queen already? Mutant empress?

I made a little list of who could be the secret villain, Cassandra Nova was one of them and she's a very fitting choice. This really feels like a direct follow up to New X-Men in a way. I don't really know what else to say. Jean's characterization is on point. I love that she really went in on making a difference. It's midly infurating that it got screwed up so quickly, but it wouldn't be an X-Men book if that wasn't the case lol.

Jean saving a baby, Jean flying above the universe, Namor manspreading on his throne, those little moments of pure heroism are so touching and wholesome and I love. And I think Asrar's does a great job on them(and also on Namor manspreading on his throne). I'm excited to see the team going to the point where they are at the opening, it's truly a pain that this is a monthly series, specially since it was released so early in the month.
    Good that you pointed out what's important lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    Good that you pointed out what's important lol
    That reminds me: was Namor ever tried for war crimes for what he did to Wakanda during AvX? Has that been dealt with at all?