Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes, He seems to bear the Secret Wars flag when many would like to pretend it didn't happen.
    That's what I love about Ewing. He's a continuity guy. He makes everything feel like it actually mattered. Haven't felt that way about a writer since Busiek.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's what I love about Ewing. He's a continuity guy. He makes everything feel like it actually mattered. Haven't felt that way about a writer since Busiek.
    Amen to that. That's why Ewing is one of my top writers at Marvel

I also think a lot of characters seem to return with an implied "Because Secret Wars" without even trying to explain it.

In this case it makes sense for The Challenger to have been in a kind of limbo waiting for the end of the universe for millennia. Explains why we havn't seen him before, and why he is back, in one easy to understand concept.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I liked this issue the most. Am I going to be the one with the unpopular opinion from start to finish in this crossover?
    Nah, I think I'm the unpopular opinion here lol. I did like some parts though, mostly in the beginning as others have mentioned.

The Secret Wars nods went over my head completely but it's been a long time since I've read that story. and i mostly just remember the ridiculous spider-man fights versus the x-men bit

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I liked this issue the most. Am I going to be the one with the unpopular opinion from start to finish in this crossover?
    I thought this was the best issue so far as well. This series has been solid from the start but I really liked that we got to know who the Challenger is in this issue, got the backstory on him (nicely tied in with Secret Wars), see why the Grandmaster insisted on Earth as the gameboard and there was more emotional material with the Avengers themselves this issue, rather than just rushing into action.

Nice tease for the Hulk at the end as well - assuming that's who The Challenger has on deck.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Nah, I think I'm the unpopular opinion here lol. I did like some parts though, mostly in the beginning as others have mentioned.

The Secret Wars nods went over my head completely but it's been a long time since I've read that story. and i mostly just remember the ridiculous spider-man fights versus the x-men bit
    It's not the original Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars, but the Secret Wars from 2015 when the multiverse was destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Amen to that. That's why Ewing is one of my top writers at Marvel
    Thirding this! Ewing is great, it's a shame his stuff doesn't sell enough Any writer that cares about continuity has my vote.

Definitely more of an exposition issue, but we need those to tell a solid story overall so I don't mind. I'm impressed that we're getting some character moments despite all the action and chaos going on. Waid/Ewing/Zub are doing a good job so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    It's not the original Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars, but the Secret Wars from 2015 when the multiverse was destroyed
    Oh that makes sense on why there were comments about people not wanting to remember the event. xD

Overall a good issue and we had some questions finally answered.

It's funny how some characters are put in prisons that they should never go out in comics but eventually they do because the unexpected always happens at some point even the end of times .

I would not say that the Earth tamed Phoenix but recognize that the entity has gained a peculiar taste for some of the residents .

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm loving the art on this book. Has Kim Jacinto done anything else for Marvel or DC?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I'm loving the art on this book. Has Kim Jacinto done anything else for Marvel or DC?
    Uncanny Avengers 24-25 for example
    other books
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...rt=mostvisited

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Uncanny Avengers 24-25 for example
    other books
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...rt=mostvisited
    Cool, thanks
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

What was the connection to Secret Wars and No Surrender you mentioned?

Avengers World got mentioned, and they mentioned the end of the universe too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes this issue establishes some characters and some context and not a lot else. But it does it well and it ties into Secret Wars, so I liked it.
    I especially like the secret wars tie in myself. Aside form that I'm OK with context as we need a bit of a breather ever so often. Very "cosmic" focus with all the elder talk which I've always loved as well. For me it was a solid issue.

I'm curious if they'll explain _how_ the Challenger acquired his last piece ...