Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Iceman #10 (discussion and spoilers)

GMing tonight, so no time for a full synopsis this month. Discussion points, though:

- It's pretty much stated that the Death Seed is responsible for Daken's relapse into nihilistic villainy, but the resolution is kind of an anti-climax. Bobby freezes it, and Daken exits stage left.

- Despite what Bobby initially thinks, Daken didn't kill Judah when he snikted him. I find that interesting because, bluntly, Daken's had a lot of experience murdering people. If he'd wanted to one-shot Judah, he darn well knew how to do it.

- The issue really did feel a bit rushed. I'd have rathered those pages dedicated to the various students been used for more focus on Bobby.

- Judah decides he can't deal with Bobby's life (especially with the guy who stabbed him still out there). He an Bobby break up. Realistic reaction and I feel bad for Bobby, but I feel like it's for the best narratively.

- Kitty actually shows a glimmer of self-awareness and realizes that she didn't do much to support Bobby as a friend or in her capacity as leader of the X-Men. She agrees that he was underutilized, and offers to let him pick his own team to lead.

And now we've just got one issue left. Thoughts?

I hope he picks a good team.

Those are my thoughts haha. Definitely a little rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I hope he picks a good team.
    I hope we get proper team with their own title. I shall be vexed if this is a wallpaper team or if it's leading into whatever nonsense is going on over in Gold a few months down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I hope we get proper team with their own title. I shall be vexed if this is a wallpaper team or if it's leading into whatever nonsense is going on over in Gold a few months down the line.
    Oh yeah I agree. Charles Soule has been saying that HIS story of Astonishing ends at 12. Which is a bit of a different tune than what we got originally. Maybe Iceman's team will take over that book with a new writer?

I assume the team he selects is the "new gold" advertised -- Magik, Rogue, Armor and Ink ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I assume the team he selects is the "new gold" advertised -- Magik, Rogue, Armor and Ink ?
    We don't see who Bobby picks; the issue ends with Kitty's offer. I'm guessing we'll see who he chooses next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    We don't see who Bobby picks; the issue ends with Kitty's offer. I'm guessing we'll see who he chooses next issue.
    Oh I TOTALLY thought this was the final issue. I completely forgot about that gorgeous collage cover. Hooray for one more!

That would be kinda weird too... Kitty giving Bobby freedom to choose a team and them him deferring leadership to Magik.

These last 2 issues have really dampened my enjoyment of this series. Overall I thought the story with Daken didn't make much sense.

I hope the last issue can make up for it!

It didn't feel rushed to me per se, but I do agree that some of the pages with the students in the Danger room could have been used for a longer resolution of the Daken death seed stuff. It's possible that may be in the last issue though; didn't the solicit say something about an out-of-control mutant? I thought they meant Zach but he's been subdued, so maybe he goes after Daken?

Overall I liked it, and it was really cool that Bobby could handle a Death seed empowered Daken on his own. As for his solution to stopping him, I think that'll be polarizing, but I liked it, he took a page out of Rogue's playbook lol. Kitty apologizing was nice too. I don't think anything will come of this team thing, but let's see! Only one left after all

BANNED

Yup, definitely rushed. No stakes and no consequences. How did Daken even get away? Did Iceman just let him run away after falling on the lawn?

Zach nonchalantly listening to Lesley Gore was pretty funny though.

Considering how messy the last issue was, I actually liked this conclusion. I agree that the whole arc felt rushed though. Hopefully there's a bit more on Daken in the finale...

This kinda feels like that Icegod arc which no one mentions and was never referenced again despite being a massive deal for a major character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    That would be kinda weird too... Kitty giving Bobby freedom to choose a team and them him deferring leadership to Magik.
    I don't think it was stated that she's leading the interim Gold team.

I liked it. It didn't feel that off to me and all the little character moments were nice.