All-New Member

Default Illuminati Query

This more of a research question and will probably help my decide which issues I need to buy.

Having gotten interested in Hickmans 'Time Runs Out' run over Christmas I've been tirelessly googling to find out and before issues that would help me fill in gaps in my knowledge. I've since bought and read 'Original Sin' and discovered the Avengers/New Avengers run leading up to 'Time Runs Out' aptly named 'Before Time Runs Out' including 'Infinity'.

However, my intrigue has lead me to want to explore the Illuminati and Captain America's involvement with them leading to his mind-wipe (which ended in Original Sin) and the Secret Invasion leading up to the Incursions.

I just can't figure out which issues this all happens in. Can you help??

TIA

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Steve Rogers joins the Illuminati in Avengers Vol.4 #12 after they fight the Hood over the Infinity Gauntlet and Gems. He gets kicked out after he broke the Infinity Gauntlet and some of the Gems in New Avengers Vol.3 #3 and Strange wiped his mind.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Captain America gets added to the Illuminati after Cyclops killed Professor X, one of the original members, during the mini event Avengers vs the X-Men IIRC. He also had possession of one of the Infinity Gems when Black Bolt was thought to be dead. The Illuminati appoint Cap to use the Infinity Gauntlet to destroy the other planet during an incursusion but the gems are destroyed in the process. An argument over the morality of this solution results and Cap gets mind-wiped by Dr. Strange. This takes place in Vol 2 of New Avengers, issues 1-3.

I think you might be referring to Cap's earlier involvement during Bendis's run when his pet character the Hood was hunting for the Gems (starting in Avengers #8). I think Cap got involved with the Illuminati at that point but maybe someone else can clarify that.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

He was invited into the Illuminati at the end of that Hood arc I mentioned in a epilogue scene where Iron Man reveals that he didn't wish the stones out of existence (with Medusa replacing Black Bolt, Namor absent and Black Panther only joining in Hickman's run). That means he was already a member by the time Xavier is killed by Cyclops but I don't think Bendis wrote any more Illuminati stories due to Fear Itself and AvX.

Mighty Member

Cap was already a member of the Illuminati during AvX, and in fact they met to discuss what to do about the P5...with Namor and Cap talking at the end. As for Iron Man not wishing the gems out of existence, it was always a ruse. Reed had already tried during the original Illuminati mini series and discovered he couldn't. Iron Man knew it wouldn't work, but the rest of the Avengers at the scene did not.

All-New Member

Thanks guys, I think I have enough to go on there!