Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Men Gold #21 - spoilers

Rachel debuts her new costume and she's looking extra butch. 10/10

Also, OML leaves the team because of reasons. Mesmero and the new Avalanche and Pyro escape the prison and attack Lydia Nance (because of reasons) which means Kitty and her team (incluiding Magma!) have to go save the day, but everyone except Kitty gets knocked out (because OF COURSE).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Rachel debuts her new costume and she's looking extra butch. 10/10

Also, OML leaves the team because of reasons. Mesmero and the new Avalanche and Pyro escape the prison and attack Lydia Nance (because of reasons) which means Kitty and her team (incluiding Magma!) have to go save the day, but everyone except Kitty gets knocked out (because OF COURSE).
    also
    Guggenheim doesn't understand how the powers of Mesmero work.
    Hypnotists like Mesmero and Sauron aren't the same as telepaths.
    Jean has been hypnotized by Sauron a couple of times, was turned into a circus worker by Mesmero, but telepathically controlling her is much harder. On the other side, the hypnotist can't do many of the things telepaths can do.

Guggenheim is treating Mesmero as a telepath here, like Charles or Emma.

And I think Magma has human Torch powers here, but it may be the artist didnt get the correct references. She seemed to be flying.
    Avalanche and Pyro were such great iconic characters that it's a shame to create legacy replacements for them instead of resurrecting them.

Why didn't Mesmero get burned when Magma put him in a headlock? What's the point of her lady Torch form if she doesn't give off heat when she's powered up?

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Rachel doesn't look butch at all. Where are you even seeing that?

Rachel just got out of a coma, and her lines make her sound unstable, so she's clearly not in her right mind which never ends well for Telepaths as their mind is their greatest and most important assest.

I'm guessing Guggenheim showing "The Box" at the beginning is foreshadowing where the X-Men will be locked up in after they're arrested at the end of the arc.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Magma has flying powers for quite a while now. I believe we saw her fly for the first time during the 198 period. So it's not an error.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

This was...not great. Ironically, the one time Guggs SHOULD absolutely go all in on fanservice nostalgia, he doesn't. With Amara being a part of the Brotherhood in those first issues, I was willing to bet money that Avalanche and Pyro were known quantities, like Rictor and resurrected Rusty. Nope, just some randoms we'll never see again after this arc. Pyro gets the standard mutant tropey "I burned my school down" origin, and he and Avalanche become generic prison thugs looking for generic revenge.

The Gold team is essentially bested off-panel at the end. How did Storm get defeated? Who knows. It's beyond lazy, to the point of being unforgivable. Guggs continues to try and coast on nostalgia. Nothing interesting is happening in this book. It's telling us, "look how great the Nightcrawler/Kitty/Rachel friendship is" without doing anything with it. Sure, showing the three of them standing next to one another is cool, but can you please give us a compelling conversation outside of the shameless use of nicknames? Like that's supposed to do the job of enforcing why this trio is special?

At least Rachel ditched the horrible costume.

Everything about this book has been generic and lazy. I think I'm done after this arc.

BANNED

CBR posted a really awful interview with Guggs today too: https://www.cbr.com/x-men-gold-marc-...ossus-wedding/

Yeah, things are starting to look ominous for Rachel....:S

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    CBR posted a really awful interview with Guggs today too: https://www.cbr.com/x-men-gold-marc-...ossus-wedding/
    Now I am sure he doesn't know of Peter's son in the Savage Land or of Mikhail

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Now I am sure he doesn't know of Peter's son in the Savage Land or of Mikhail
    He doesn't know anything. Last year he was demeaning people for having the audacity to claim there's queer subtext in Kitty's appearances because only HE is the X-pert. Now he's hedging his bet on the living status of her parents. Quite a change.

It makes sense OML to move away at this moment.

Well the rest nothing good to comment.

Kitty continues to gain prominence at the expense of the other characters and not in the most creative way. She literally brought to battle two wild pieces that she knew could be a problem and she had a mansion full of X-mens to choose from.

Kitty and Storm were again knocked out together with the rest of the team and Rachel who gained a boost lost again in telepathic combat?

Counting that there are only three enemies and two of them have their powers in a short time I figured that the X-mens would do better.

rank 6 de 10.
    Last edited by Knives; 02-07-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    It kind of sounds like #30 might be his last issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    It kind of sounds like #30 might be his last issue?
    Didn't he say something about already having mapped out the next 30 issues? And that was after the rumor of Gold ending soon.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    Didn't he say something about already having mapped out the next 30 issues? And that was after the rumor of Gold ending soon.
    He did, although I think it was just before the rumor started. It just sounds like he's trying to tie up loose ends going into 30, and that usually precipitates cancellation or a relaunch. It's probably just me being hopeful.