Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Default Bendis' Big Twist Revealed MAJOR SPOILERS for Action Comics 1000

So Bleeding Cool revealed the big upcoming twist. Which was the first guess of the forum when Bendis said he will change something radical.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04...1000-spoilers/

AGAIN SPOILERS

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Anyone could have guessed that twist from the first interview Bendis did. We likely won't actually know what that vague statement actually means till the man of steel mini series in June.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    So Bleeding Cool revealed the big upcoming twist. Which was the first guess of the forum when Bendis said he will change something radical.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04...1000-spoilers/

AGAIN SPOILERS
    spoilers:

So... Basically Superman:Earth One or Pre-Crisis Black Zero is now canon.Just a different character is responsible.

Well at least the big twist isn't Lois and Jon being killed off or erased and Superman is still a Kryptonian. The big change is that an external force destroyed Krypton. Been there done that. I'm okay with this.

end of spoilers
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

spoilers:
    The big thing to take from this I think will be less about the destruction, but whether or not Jor-El had a role in it. Zarr's words could implicate him as part of the plot, depending on the context.

I mean, if Jor-El was allied with Zarr, it could call into question whether Jor-El meant for even Kal-El to die along with himself and the Kryptonian race. Could we be in for a reveal that it was Lara herself of her own volition and in defiance of Jor-El that saved her son?

We just got done with a storyline in which Jor-El was no longer a great guy. I could easily see DC accepting such a pitch again. And for good or bad, in this cultural climate I could see them wanting to put focus on Lara, the mother. I mean i'd question as I think a lot of people will if this turns out to be the case whether you have to demean the father to highlight the mother, but nonetheless I could easily see this happening.

Or, another idea, and one I'd like better...Jor-El isn't an ally of Zarr, but he did catch onto the plan early enough to make plans to save his son. But Zarr catches up to him, and kills him before he can launch the rocket. Gloating to Jor-El (his promise), he forgets about Lara and she attacks him from behind (if he's not just an ugly alien and is actually disfigured, maybe this is what does it), and she successfully launches the rocket and saves Kal-El before the destruction. This gives Lara an incredible role in his saving, but at the same time doesn't diminish Jor-El. And we also have something very personal between the new villain and Superman, outside the larger genocide. Rogal-Zarr killed Superman's father. And Superman's mother ruined Zarr's plans.

I also think it would be cool if, something discussed here before, we find out this isn't Zarr's first strike at Superman. He indirectly tried, and thought he had succeeded, at killing Superman before. Doomsday.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-14-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: New idea
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

This is dumb. It's a kind of dumb we've seen before, multiple times, but it's still dumb.

But it's okay. We'll live. It's not awful, it's not horrific. It's just dumb.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The bar for this sort of thing is TAS. Because it did it without really doing it. That kind of subtlety made it work. Now, on the other hand, Earth One was more in-your-face literal, but I don't think that's what made the idea not work there. To me it was an underwhelming motivation. So I guess what I'm saying is that ultimately, motivation will be key.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Zarr has the same kind of scarring as Mr. Oz does. I didn’t notice it until I looked at the panel where he yells “Kryptonian” again.

Always remember it's DC it probably won't be canon in a few years anyway.

My thoughts all of of this...

Incredible Member

Yeah, meh.

Ten bucks says in Action #1001, when we pick up where this leaves off, we see a fist off-panel pop Zarr in the face, with the next page a big splash of Supergirl.

spoilers:
    My takeway from the line about Jor-El wasn't that he knew Zarr would destroy Krypton but that Zarr tried to kill him before using that exact same line.
    end of spoilers

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Guess I was right after all. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    spoilers:
    The big thing to take from this I think will be less about the destruction, but whether or not Jor-El had a role in it. Zarr's words could implicate him as part of the plot, depending on the context.

I mean, if Jor-El was allied with Zarr, it could call into question whether Jor-El meant for even Kal-El to die along with himself and the Kryptonian race. Could we be in for a reveal that it was Lara herself of her own volition and in defiance of Jor-El that saved her son?

We just got done with a storyline in which Jor-El was no longer a great guy. I could easily see DC accepting such a pitch again. And for good or bad, in this cultural climate I could see them wanting to put focus on Lara, the mother. I mean i'd question as I think a lot of people will if this turns out to be the case whether you have to demean the father to highlight the mother, but nonetheless I could easily see this happening.

Or, another idea, and one I'd like better...Jor-El isn't an ally of Zarr, but he did catch onto the plan early enough to make plans to save his son. But Zarr catches up to him, and kills him before he can launch the rocket. Gloating to Jor-El (his promise), he forgets about Lara and she attacks him from behind (if he's not just an ugly alien and is actually disfigured, maybe this is what does it), and she successfully launches the rocket and saves Kal-El before the destruction. This gives Lara an incredible role in his saving, but at the same time doesn't diminish Jor-El. And we also have something very personal between the new villain and Superman, outside the larger genocide. Rogal-Zarr killed Superman's father. And Superman's mother ruined Zarr's plans.

I also think it would be cool if, something discussed here before, we find out this isn't Zarr's first strike at Superman. He indirectly tried, and thought he had succeeded, at killing Superman before. Doomsday.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I hope this isn't a case of demeaning Jor-El in order to elevate Lara because that would suck on so many levels. If he has to be in with Rogal-Zarr I'd much rather see Jor-El coming to realize the full intent of his plan and having a last minute change of heart then to have him be utterly irredeemable. I suppose though that there are a lot of different ways this could be spun. Rogal-Zarr could even be lying about Jor-El's involvement.
    end of spoilers
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

spoilers:

Called it, I knew this is what it was. Honestly I don't really care one way or the other, but I prefer Brainiac to be the one responsible for Krypton's death if DC is so determined to have someone be responsible for it. I guess we'll see how things play out.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The New 52 treated Lara a lot better imo so I'd be happy to see her given more agency. Wasn't she an astronaut in the New 52? I far prefer that role for her than being just Jor-El's wife like she kinda was portrayed as in the Reborn origin.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I was at the comic shop looking at the "Bendis is Coming" Man of Steel Cover display and that's the first thing I guessed, I figured they did it on purpose. Didn't Bendis post recently about the "Black Zero" comics from the 60's?