Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    It's the official "main" cover. Any shop which has the issue at all is likely to have it.
    There's another Jim Lee cover, which he drew on his Twitch stream. No idea where that can be purchased though.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Incredible Member

Well, clearly they biased heavily towards the logos based most on the original - the short-lived 1991 logo being the most obvious for that, avoiding the much-longer lived series of "SUPERMAN ɪɴ ᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴄᴏᴍɪᴄs" logos that stretched into the 2000s, until 2004 - and to having as many different variations within that. Which leads to at least one blatant trade-dress anachronism, with the 80s cover showing Pre-Crisis/early-80s versions of the characters (especially Lois) but using the Post-Crisis/late-80s logo (since the period-accurate logo is also being used on Steranko's 70s cover). At least the 50s cover is well done (mostly - they didn't reconstruct the actual "Featuring..." used), but the 30s cover completely fails at the period, between the anachronistic Superman costume and the see-through logo background.

Oh, and they didn't fix Lois' hair colour on the 90s cover...
    I wish they’d fixed Lois’ hair on the 90s one.

The 80s one? It’s an interesting mashup. That Superman channels Reeve. The Jimmy is very pre-Crisis. The Lois is actually Byrne’s first take from Man of Steel in a Kidder costume. Pre-Crisis Lex. The style is similar to early 80s annuals (that might have been an inspired trade dress) but also the UK annuals. My biggest regret is neither the issue nor the hardcover reprint the text story that was Grant Morrison’s first DC work. Spot illustrations by Kitson. UK exclusive so it’s hard to come by. I have a copy in quite nice condition but it’s an extreme rarity never printed for a US audience. Keep expecting DC to do that.

There’s also at least one more complete lost S&S story and the incomplete K-Metal from Krypton (which Bog helped a fan site finish as the script exists). There might be enough lost or obscure Golden Age Superman material for a full sized lost issue. Maybe fill it out with the World’s Fair issues which DC restored and maybe bits from Superman & Tim or other rarities.

One of the lost apocryphal DC titles that only exists as a couple of Ashcans was the planned but never published Double Action Comics to go alongside books like All Flash Comics and such, I’d guess. I think it’d be cool if they someday did publish a Double Action Comics with new GA material, especially if it’s outside the scope of the Golden Age omnibus series.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Well, clearly they biased heavily towards the logos based most on the original - the short-lived 1991 logo being the most obvious for that, avoiding the much-longer lived series of "SUPERMAN ɪɴ ᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴄᴏᴍɪᴄs" logos that stretched into the 2000s, until 2004 - and to having as many different variations within that. Which leads to at least one blatant trade-dress anachronism, with the 80s cover showing Pre-Crisis/early-80s versions of the characters (especially Lois) but using the Post-Crisis/late-80s logo (since the period-accurate logo is also being used on Steranko's 70s cover). At least the 50s cover is well done (mostly - they didn't reconstruct the actual "Featuring..." used), but the 30s cover completely fails at the period, between the anachronistic Superman costume and the see-through logo background.
    It fails at the period but it's still the best cover. Steve Rude, y'all.

All-New Member

Thanks, guys. I meant the Jim Lee alternative cover, not the main one. Been researching but can’t find out which store will carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sherine View Post
    Thanks, guys. I meant the Jim Lee alternative cover, not the main one. Been researching but can’t find out which store will carry it.
    I asked the guy at my LCS today if he knew and he had no clue. He said he'll let me know by Wednesday.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Incredible Member

It seems to me there are potentially a couple of store exclusives we have not seen.

There is almost certainly a Books-A-Million/2nd and Charles “Fried Pie” variant. They’ve never not done one for a DC book that allowed retail exclusive covers. They also had variants for DK3 and X-Men Grand Design which were similar oversized/prestige books. I’d be surprised if the Lee variant was them. But would be less surprised if it was another Gleason, Artgem, or Dell’otto.

I’m leaning towards Pow Entertainment/Stan Lee Collectibles doing one in a sub box. They have also done prestige/oversized books. They’re trying to do more non-Marvel books and have had Stan team up with Ghostbusters, Power Rangers, and X-Files. If they ever did one DC book, this would be the one to do. I’d probably expect something like a Spider-man vs. Superman homage with Stan in Spidey’s place or Stan trying to breakup a fight between Superman and Just Imagine Stan Lee’s Superman.

Summer cons seem possible. A Fan Expo multiconvention variant, a second metallic Jim Lee for Graffiti (the first metallic was a press kit exclusive), or maybe an extra special SDCC variant. Even money for me there on whether it would be retro (Ie. an old inventory pinup) or maybe movie/TV themed like Tyler Hoechin or Henry Cavill. I think a really cool IDEA since nobody homaged Action 252 would be to get the CW photoshop people or Cat Staggs to do that with Hoechin and Benoist.

Just crumbled and gave in. Preordered 1940's variant a month ago but just added 2000 variant to my list too and brought a copy on ebay.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

I was torn in regards to my first purchase between he 60s and 90's variant. In the end though the 60's one appeals to me more. Though I'll want the 90s variant eventually.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

I caved and ended up purchasing the Fabok variant. Totally worth it.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I can't believe that by this time tomorrow night I will have bought and read ACTION COMICS #1000. I remember thinking at 11 years old in 1990 that I'd be an old man by the time that happened.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I'm jealous of those lucky folks out there who will be getting this issue, and then post side-by-sides of their copy of #1000 next to their copy of #1.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm jealous of those lucky folks out there who will be getting this issue, and then post side-by-sides of their copy of #1000 next to their copy of #1.
    Technically I could do that, although one of them is only a reprint. Guess Which one.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    There's another Jim Lee cover, which he drew on his Twitch stream. No idea where that can be purchased though.
    Exclusive to Midtown Comics. They may put some on eBay eventually?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbBwfZmX4AAuE5b.jpg
    Last edited by titansupes; 04-18-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Technically I could do that, although one of them is only a reprint. Guess Which one.
    Hey man, you gotta hook me up with those sweet Action #1000 reprints. In all seriousness, having a physical copy of Action Comics #1, even a reprint, must be pretty neat.

BANNED

I was, in a way. I seemed to be the catalyst with which to bring them back but at the time I was in Marvel land and totally unaware of the ongoing controversy about Superman and his trunks. After we decided that it’s gonna be Superman and it’s gonna be Action Comics #1000 and all the pieces were coming together in a very lovely way, I get a call from Dan who goes, “Hey! You wanna bring back the trunks?” And I go, “What do you mean?” He goes, “The red underwear.” And I go, “Oh yeah, yeah, of course I do! Superman has to wear the red underwear.” And he goes, “Well, there’s been a bit of controversy around here but I think it’s time. People will like that you're bringing them back, it’ll be an interesting conversation. So if you want ’em, you can have ’em.” And I go, “Yeah, I totally want them.” Then I get a call from one of the DC editors: “How did you do it? How’d you get the red underpants back?” Everyone had been working Dan for a long time and I was like the final little bit. There are a lot of creators that are a little sore I’m getting the underpants, but I said to all those creators, we all get them back. Don’t look at who got it back, we all get the underpants back.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/brian-...needs-superman