Default Man buys Amazing Fantasy 15 for six cents at yard sale!

He sold it for $2700.

Feel bad for the family that sold it. They didn't know what they had.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What lottery level luck right there.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Half cover price, too!

Fantastic Member

On one hand I feel like it would be a nice gesture for the guy to send the seller a hundred bucks or something just to be nice. But, otoh I find it hard to believe anyone could be so clueless as to not investigate the possibility that some of those comics might have some value - I mean stories of old comics selling for high prices have been a big pop culture thing for decades now - so maybe they got what they deserve...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I find it hard to believe anyone could be so clueless as to not investigate the possibility that some of those comics might have some value - I mean stories of old comics selling for high prices have been a big pop culture thing for decades now
    Exactly this. The possibility of getting any comic for 6 cents seems a bit preposterous. This guy getting an old Spiderman comic, one of if not the biggest superhero of all time, for 6 cents makes me call bullshit on this guys story.

Quote Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
    Exactly this. The possibility of getting any comic for 6 cents seems a bit preposterous. This guy getting an old Spiderman comic, one of if not the biggest superhero of all time, for 6 cents makes me call bullshit on this guys story.
    There are probably 15,000-20,000 copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 in circulation as opposed to Action Comics 1 which may have around 200 copies. Its possible, but increasingly unlikely that someone would find this. If its a community yard sale then it would require several people not noticing or caring. Posting the youtube video is the equivalent of telling everyone on your facebook you won the lottery. I think a lot of people would just go hush about it.

On one hand I feel like it would be a nice gesture for the guy to send the seller a hundred bucks or something just to be nice. But, otoh I find it hard to believe anyone could be so clueless as to not investigate the possibility that some of those comics might have some value - I mean stories of old comics selling for high prices have been a big pop culture thing for decades now - so maybe they got what they deserve...
    Awhile back, a buddy I work with told me his brother bought an estate sale and it had what eventually came out to be about 15 long boxes of comics and some tpbs/HCs. We went by there on our lunch break and he said I could have them if I hauled them off. He said he didn't care what was in there, so long as I never brought them back. Since my buddy secured them for me, we split the loot 50-50. There were a few gems in there (a couple of $30 to $50 comics) and we made about $3,200 altogether on Ebay. There were many, many auctions and when it was all said and done, I probably made about $2 an hour. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some people don't care or have the time to look.

My friend's bother could have investigated it, but he's got money and didn't care. He wanted them gone. I made some money but I now also have about 8 long boxes of absolute **** that I can't give away. I joked with my LCS owner that I'd drop them off like an unwanted baby at his doorstep one night and he threatened to cancel my discount subscriptions. Anyhoo, I figured I tell that story cause I"m bored. Ha.

What about the guy who finds action comics 1 in a wall?

Or the guy who found first batman in a attic.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Awhile back, a buddy I work with told me his brother bought an estate sale and it had what eventually came out to be about 15 long boxes of comics and some tpbs/HCs. We went by there on our lunch break and he said I could have them if I hauled them off. He said he didn't care what was in there, so long as I never brought them back. Since my buddy secured them for me, we split the loot 50-50. There were a few gems in there (a couple of $30 to $50 comics) and we made about $3,200 altogether on Ebay. There were many, many auctions and when it was all said and done, I probably made about $2 an hour. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some people don't care or have the time to look.

My friend's bother could have investigated it, but he's got money and didn't care. He wanted them gone. I made some money but I now also have about 8 long boxes of absolute **** that I can't give away. I joked with my LCS owner that I'd drop them off like an unwanted baby at his doorstep one night and he threatened to cancel my discount subscriptions. Anyhoo, I figured I tell that story cause I"m bored. Ha.
    Fun story Tom

It goes to show that not always hitting the motherlode leads to a path strewn with roses

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

Oh sure I can see that aspect too. My point really was just that there isn’t much of an angle from which one should feel sorry for the person who sold the comic for six cents. Either they were dummies or they really just made the choice not to spend the energy and time figuring out what they actually had.

Oh sure I can see that aspect too. My point really was just that there isn’t much of an angle from which one should feel sorry for the person who sold the comic for six cents. Either they were dummies or they really just made the choice not to spend the energy and time figuring out what they actually had.
    Ha ha, oh I agree.