Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Greatest movie swordsman

All physical attributes are equalised - so all swordsmen will fight with the speed, strength and endurance of elite level athletes of their size. All additional powers are removed (i.e. Jedi TK). If participants use exotic weapons, they will be using the real world equivalent of those weapons (lightsabers will become longswords); the only caveat being the substitute weapons will have the same weight as the original weapons (i.e. longswords will weigh as much as lightsabers for Jedis).

1. Having said all that, which movie swordsman below will emerge victorious in an arena battle?

Any Jedi from SW movies
    Any of the pirates from the PotC movies
    Musketeers from any movie incarnation (no guns)
    Achilles
    Maximus
    Zorro
    Aragorn
    The Bride
    Conan

2. Who is the greatest movie swordsman of all time - using the rules above?

EDIT: All sword fighters are wearing identical light mail armour (due to the reason pointed out by some posters that people with plate armour have an advantage). No shields.
    Last edited by k von doom; 02-08-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: (due to the reason pointed out by some posters that people with plate armour have an advantage)

Mace Windu was a prodigy that dueled the greatest masters of his era to a standstill, then invented a new style and got even better to the point he defeated Palpatine where Yoda could not.

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    All physical attributes are equalised - so all swordsmen will fight with the speed, strength and endurance of elite level athletes of their size. All additional powers are removed (i.e. Jedi TK). If participants use exotic weapons, they will be using the real world equivalent of those weapons (lightsabers will become longswords); the only caveat being the substitute weapons will have the same weight as the original weapons (i.e. longswords will weigh as much as lightsabers for Jedis).

1. Having said all that, which movie swordsman below will emerge victorious in an arena battle?

Any Jedi from SW movies
    Achilles
    Maximus
    Zorro
    Aragorn
    The Bride
    Conan

Is sad not to see Inigo Montoya or Westley on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    Mace Windu was a prodigy that dueled the greatest masters of his era to a standstill, then invented a new style and got even better to the point he defeated Palpatine where Yoda could not.
    Yeah. He can't use any if that though. His style is based on stuff he can no longer do. (The fact that it's ridiculous and would be terrible in a real fight aside.)

Imagine if you took a master swordsman, cut off his legs and put him against a legless man whose been fighting like that all his life

He also needs to learn how edge alignment works right now.

Mad Gallant!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post

Any Jedi from SW movies
    Achilles
    Maximus
    Zorro
    Aragorn
    The Bride
    Conan

There is a great deal of difference between a lightsaber and a long sword...

If tv was allowed I would throw Spartacus in here

Of the listed characters probably Zorro. He has the advantage of being a composite with less outlandish choerography and feats like this.

Uh, spoilers I guess, Zorro is Don Diego de la Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Of the listed characters probably Zorro. He has the advantage of being a composite with less outlandish choerography and feats like this.

Uh, spoilers I guess, Zorro is Don Diego de la Vega.
    As long as we assume guys like the musketeers aren't allied I agree with you. He still doesn't take the majority in a melee, but probably wins more than anyone else.

(Rapiers have some disadvantages in large battles as opposed to duels but I think he'll be fine here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    As long as we assume guys like the musketeers aren't allied I agree with you. He still doesn't take the majority in a melee, but probably wins more than anyone else.

(Rapiers have some disadvantages in large battles as opposed to duels but I think he'll be fine here.)
    Yeah that's true. Deep thrusts tend to get stuck.

OP, what's the word on equipment? Aragorn wore mail and a coat of plates, but by hollywood starpower mandate bafflingly forgot to bring a helmet to the Gate of Mordor, while Conan had the opposite problem at the Battle of the Mounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Yeah. He can't use any if that though. His style is based on stuff he can no longer do. (The fact that it's ridiculous and would be terrible in a real fight aside.)

Imagine if you took a master swordsman, cut off his legs and put him against a legless man whose been fighting like that all his life

He also needs to learn how edge alignment works right now.
    True, but Dooku, Yoda and Palpatine also had those power, it evens out. Also, the Dark Lord there's a Jedi Master named Roan Shryne who had to go through a fight without any ability to call on the Force and still had the ability to deflect blaster bolts, so not having their powers isn't completely debilitating to a Jedi

Yeah that's true. Deep thrusts tend to get stuck.
    Best tell Miburo.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Brad Pitt Achilles was pretty bullshit ridiculous, I'd rate him pretty highly among the swordsmen listed. Him and Maximus also come with the advantage of being accustomed to large scale battles with a lot of guys who are not terribly far below them stat/power-wise. Jedi are heavily dependent on the Force even just as a sense, so without it they're pretty severely hampered.

Also, the Dark Lord there's a Jedi Master named Roan Shryne who had to go through a fight without any ability to call on the Force and still had the ability to deflect blaster bolts, so not having their powers isn't completely debilitating to a Jedi
    I'm sure they'd be able to manage SOMETHING, but nothing near what they'd do normally. If he was deflecting blaster bolts with the same casual ease they usually do, I'd say that's something specific to that character in that story, because it goes pretty heavily against the established lore of how they dowhat they do.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 02-07-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

It's hard to imagine what equalization would do to swordsmen who use a lot of agility in their styles, but if it all boils down to skill, I'm voting that Li Mu Bai takes the 2nd question.

OP, what's the word on equipment? Aragorn wore mail and a coat of plates, but by hollywood starpower mandate bafflingly forgot to bring a helmet to the Gate of Mordor, while Conan had the opposite problem at the Battle of the Mounds.
    Besides additional weapons, fighters would get their standard armour - so robes for Jedis, medieval armour (sans magical enhancements i.e. unbreakability) for LotR, Conan has his headpiece and underpants.

EDIT: All sword fighters are wearing identical light mail armour (due to the reason pointed out by some posters that people with plate armour have an advantage). No shields.
    Last edited by k von doom; 02-08-2018 at 02:19 PM.