Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Preview: Spectacular Spider-Man#302

https://www.avclub.com/peter-parker-...mpression=true

Nice to see even Flash realizes that pot shot at Peter's uncle Ben was a step too far.

Peter's clothes are also a call back to the nineties animated series

Wonder why Peter is smiling when talking about Norman escaping, maybe he's happy that he gets to beat Norman again?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Older Peter is dressed in his clothes from Season 1 of the 90s animated series, and teenage Peter is dressed in his regular clothes from The Spectacular Spider-Man. Nice homage to the two best animated series Spider-Man has ever had. And was that Jessica (Jones) teenage Peter was talking to earlier?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

COD: Latveria? Is that Doom approved ?

And what would you even do in it? Infiltrate Latveria until you get a final boss battle with Doom where you beat him with QTE's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Wonder why Peter is smiling when talking about Norman escaping, maybe he's happy that he gets to beat Norman again?
    Or he and his younger-self get to team-up to beat the Green Goblin up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Older Peter is dressed in his clothes from Season 1 of the 90s animated series, and teenage Peter is dressed in his regular clothes from The Spectacular Spider-Man. Nice homage to the two best animated series Spider-Man has ever had. And was that Jessica (Jones) teenage Peter was talking to earlier?
    I'm not sure if it was supposed to be Spec. I remember Peter's regular clothes on Spec wasn't a button-down shirt, although admittedly everything else matches.

I think that's supposed to be Jessica given the Goth style and Flash calls her out by name.

Kind of ironic that she tries to be nice to Peter and he lashes out, and the one time he tries to be nice to her she ends up lashing out.

Incredible Member

Nice throw back that older Peter is wearing the same shirt he wore during the first series of Spider-Man the animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    COD: Latveria? Is that Doom approved ?

And what would you even do in it? Infiltrate Latveria until you get a final boss battle with Doom where you beat him with QTE's?
    Not Doom, Doof

Or he and his younger-self get to team-up to beat the Green Goblin up.
    So either way he's smiling at the possibility of beating Norman again lol.

I think that's supposed to be Jessica given the Goth style and Flash calls her out by name.
    Wait, didn't she look like a nerdy girl in high school? Unless she adopted the goth style after the coma?

Kind of ironic that she tries to be nice to Peter and he lashes out, and the one time he tries to be nice to her she ends up lashing out.
    That's sounds so much like Ditko era lol.

Wait, didn't she look like a nerdy girl in high school? Unless she adopted the goth style after the coma?
    The Marvel Database wiki says that she was at Midtown High and already had her powers in ASM #4, but that in Alias she says she woke up from her coma around the time of the Galactus Trilogy, which started in FF #48 which was published in the same month as ASM #34. So the question, is how early are we?
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jessica_Jones_(Earth-616)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Marvel Database wiki says that she was at Midtown High and already had her powers in ASM #4, but that in Alias she says she woke up from her coma around the time of the Galactus Trilogy, which started in FF #48 which was published in the same month as ASM #34. So the question, is how early are we?
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jessica_Jones_(Earth-616)
    ASM#34 was post Master Planner story arc, which means Peter was in college, so Zdarsky must be using whatever source the wiki does since I think Jessica was put in a coma not long after Peter got bitten by the spider. As for how early we are, it's post ASM#23 since both Spideys defeated Norman when he was trying to control other gangs, it's probably post ASM#24 too since Present Spidey mentioned that Mysterio would be the next one to try to defeat Spidey, and if this other timeline is following 616's timeline a bit (Even if they changed it so Annual#1, ASM#23 and ASM#24 happen so close to each other), then Past Spidey is almost graduating high school.

BANNED

Looks like spoilers:
    Teresa has the proof she needed verifying her relation to Peter[, though at this rate I won't be satisfied 'till it's a blood or DNA check. Certificates can be forged
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Looks like spoilers:
    Teresa has the proof she needed verifying her relation to Peter[, though at this rate I won't be satisfied 'till it's a blood or DNA check. Certificates can be forged
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    DNA tests can be forged too, if a certain story involving clones from the 90's is any hint
    end of spoilers

Anyways, about 302 spoilers:
    I knew that past JJ would end up revealing past Peter's secret identity, JJ back then was too much of an asshole, and it seems he realized too late about the horrible consequences of doing so, but I didn't expect it to not go public. It also seems that he was killed.

Funny that Teresa's sub plot with her contacting Fury works well, because in the present when she learned about Peter being her brother, she was sure of it and didn't have to contact Fury, and then when she learned of it again, Fury wasn't available since Original Sin's events had already happened, arguably Original Sin should've revealed the truth for her or Peter though, but eh lol. Now the only thing that still doesn't make sense is how she got that picture again in Spectacular, and most importantly, how Mentalo managed to make a fake copy of it, unless Fisk was aware of her really being Peter's sister and had the files, and Spectacular#3 hinted he knew...

Interesting they showed Mary's maiden name, was it ever shown before?
    end of spoilers

Overall good issue, kinda funny Zdarsky is managing to make clichés I don't like, time travel and secret siblings, and I end up liking this story anyways.

Astonishing Member

yeah enjoyed the issue but man I figured Flash would have more class even as a bully. he wasn't has bad as the other bullies like the minor villain that had thousands of spiders from Garth Ennis only spidey story.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

spoilers:
    DNA tests can be forged too, if a certain story involving clones from the 90's is any hint
    end of spoilers

Anyways, about 302 spoilers:
    I knew that past JJ would end up revealing past Peter's secret identity, JJ back then was too much of an asshole, and it seems he realized too late about the horrible consequences of doing so, but I didn't expect it to not go public. It also seems that he was killed.

Funny that Teresa's sub plot with her contacting Fury works well, because in the present when she learned about Peter being her brother, she was sure of it and didn't have to contact Fury, and then when she learned of it again, Fury wasn't available since Original Sin's events had already happened, arguably Original Sin should've revealed the truth for her or Peter though, but eh lol. Now the only thing that still doesn't make sense is how she got that picture again in Spectacular, and most importantly, how Mentalo managed to make a fake copy of it, unless Fisk was aware of her really being Peter's sister and had the files, and Spectacular#3 hinted he knew...

Interesting they showed Mary's maiden name, was it ever shown before?
    end of spoilers

Overall good issue, kinda funny Zdarsky is managing to make clichés I don't like, time travel and secret siblings, and I end up liking this story anyways.
    I first found Mary Parker's maiden name in the Marvel wiki, and according to that, Peter's maternal grandfather was named William Fitzpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    yeah enjoyed the issue but man I figured Flash would have more class even as a bully. he wasn't has bad as the other bullies like the minor villain that had thousands of spiders from Garth Ennis only spidey story.
    Even Flash seemed to realize that was a step too far, but then this was the same guy who mocked Jessica (as we were discussing her earlier, anyway) for being in a coma when he was a teenager. Suffice to say, he was a real jack@$$ as a teenager, though we should all be glad he moved past that and became a better person.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Nice issue IMO. Couple of timeline issues but this is an alternate universe so they have an excuse. As for everyone who thinks that proves Teresa is Peter's sister, she could be, but I don't think that's proof since just because Peter had a sister in this timeline doesn't mean he does on Earth 616.

I thought it was a good issue, but it is rather similar to what's going on in Amazing Spider-Man spoilers:
    (J. Jonah Jameson accidentally reveals Peter's secret to Norman Osborn)
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I first found Mary Parker's maiden name in the Marvel wiki, and according to that, Peter's maternal grandfather was named William Fitzpatrick.
    Ah, so it was revealed before, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Nice issue IMO. Couple of timeline issues but this is an alternate universe so they have an excuse. As for everyone who thinks that proves Teresa is Peter's sister, she could be, but I don't think that's proof since just because Peter had a sister in this timeline doesn't mean he does on Earth 616.
    spoilers:
    True, but then again, Teresa found in that apartment the same picture she has in 616, so that's just another of the things that make it more and more likely that she really is his sister, won't be surprised if that guy from Family Business ends up showing up later to confirm once and for all lol.

Edit: Wait, nevermind, the picture Teresa has is Mary in a bed while Richard was holding the baby, Spectacular#302's is Mary sitting in a chair with the baby.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I thought it was a good issue, but it is rather similar to what's going on in Amazing Spider-Man spoilers:
    (J. Jonah Jameson accidentally reveals Peter's secret to Norman Osborn)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I guess JJ screwing up like that is a multiversal constant
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 03-28-2018 at 03:40 PM.