Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default "Go Down Swinging" speculation

We've had two consecutive issues hinting that something bad's going to happen to Spider-Man in "Go Down Swinging" partly as a result of Norman Osborn getting the Carnage symbiote.

So, what might it be? Could the story have consequences after Slott's run?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Aunt May could finally die and it sticks this time but what would be even worse if it was somehow Mary Jane cause she is in this crossover we just don't know how long shes in it

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We've had two consecutive issues hinting that something bad's going to happen to Spider-Man in "Go Down Swinging" partly as a result of Norman Osborn getting the Carnage symbiote.

So, what might it be? Could the story have consequences after Slott's run?
    Most of Peter's battles with Osborn carry a heavy Price.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Aunt May could finally die and it sticks this time but what would be even worse if it was somehow Mary Jane cause she is in this crossover we just don't know how long shes in it
    Osborn already killed Gwen. Killing MJ would be a redundancy.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Osborn already killed Gwen. Killing MJ would be a redundancy.
    Didn't stop him from trying at least once, maybe twice. Particularly in Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man. And if Osborn rediscovers Spider-Man's true identity, well, he'd probably go after all of Peter's loved ones (and allies), not just MJ. Speaking of Osborns, this could be where Harry finds out about Liz colluding with Norman to create and run Alchemax for him, which would be a real heartbreaker for him, given how hard he's worked to escape the shadow of his father and rebuild his relationship with Liz and their son Normie.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Aunt May's death would hurt Peter more than MJ's death.

Mighty Member

I posted this elsewhere:
    I was thinking of something with Harry, Normie, or Stanley Osborn. Norman's quest is clearly supposed to, at every stage, backfire on him. Getting the symbiote and then (unintentionally) killing/maiming a descendant would be in line with that while also really screwing with Peter and also hearken back to DeMatteis's run on Spec w/Harry. Liz could be an intentional target and one or more of the other Osborns would be collateral damage.

May and MJ seem safe. May is a different character now (less damsel in distress) so they don't need to do anything too dramatic with her now. Mary Jane is still on the outskirts of Peter's world and now Tony's, so they can still do things with her character.

I think Norman may finally kill Harry. Harry's already well over his father's psycho ****, and seeing him with the Carnage symbiote may prompt him to act against him as the Goblin again. I don't even think Norman would do it deliberately, the symbiote may just override control and hit him fatally.
    Harry isn't doing anything important and objectively hasn't done anything of note since his resurrection. Seriously, what has he done since he came back? He was the American Son for ten minutes, dated Menace for a couple weeks, and helped cure Molten Man. That's it?? His status as Pete's bestie is also in question since Peter spends more down time with other people. He isn't even an Osborn anymore legally. It just seems super safe to kill him off again imo~

Honestly though, with the exception of background characters I don't think anybody will actually die this story.

BANNED

I worry for Anna Maria a lot. We haven't seen much of her recently, but I know Slott won't have forgotten her.

Judging by the cover for #799 (I know covers are unreliable, but let's pretend this one isn't), it looks like Red Goblin is going after Pete's bros. Although Clash is a pretty minor character and has taken a nasty turn since his failed rehabilitation, his death could weigh pretty heavy on Pete under the right circumstances.

I doubt Norman will be able to control the Carnage Symbiote for long, no one else ever has. Even Kasady admitted to Ben Reilly once that he often just lets the Symbiote do whatever it wants. No doubt it will go on a rampage with tragic results.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    I worry for Anna Maria a lot. We haven't seen much of her recently, but I know Slott won't have forgotten her.

Judging by the cover for #799 (I know covers are unreliable, but let's pretend this one isn't), it looks like Red Goblin is going after Pete's bros. Although Clash is a pretty minor character and has taken a nasty turn since his failed rehabilitation, his death could weigh pretty heavy on Pete under the right circumstances.
    If I recall, Anna Maria did show up in Amazing 794 and accepted a job offer from Max Modell to join him at Horizon University. Since Horizon is in San Francisco, that should keep her outside Spider-Man's direct radius and thus out of Norman Osborn's line of fire --- I hope. As for Clash and/or Harry dying at Osborn's hands, either one would screw Peter up pretty badly, since he already feels guilty about not being as good a friend to both of them as he could have been and them dying would close the door on any chance to make up for that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

If someone is going to die----and, really, that's what happens with these big story arcs----I think Harry is the likely candidate. He hasn't been utilized effectively at all since his return a decade ago until very recently when he worked for Peter at PI. His death would certainly impact Peter quite a bit and also add a twist to the Peter/Norman dynamic if Peter were to blame Norman for Harry's death.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    If someone is going to die----and, really, that's what happens with these big story arcs----I think Harry is the likely candidate. He hasn't been utilized effectively at all since his return a decade ago until very recently when he worked for Peter at PI. His death would certainly impact Peter quite a bit and also add a twist to the Peter/Norman dynamic if Peter were to blame Norman for Harry's death.
    If he's killed, can't wait for him to be resurrected with bad explanations again over 10 years from now .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    If he's killed, can't wait for him to be resurrected with bad explanations again over 10 years from now .
    It'll be way less than 10 years. When was the last time Demogoblin appeared? I'm predicting resurrected Harry as the new demonic goblin in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    It is worth noting Spider-Man runs rarely end with death, except for some villains (the Jackal, Bart Hamilton, the Burglar.)

There would also be the weirdness of leaving the next writer to deal with the consequences of major developments.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets