Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    White- 74%
    Hispanic/latino- 17%
    Black- 13%
    Asian- 5%
    Other- 9%
    These numbers change dramatically when you start to look at them in context of age.

It shouldn’t matter. Let characters succeed or fail on their own merit. That said, Cyborg is good. I just think he doesn’t work well with the Justice League. Grevioux’s issues were very good and I look forward to seeing what Wolfman does with the title. Static would also do good to get something as close to the animated series as possible. An Icon series would also be great. Vibe is a good character, but he probably works better on a team book.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    I have to say when reading characters of color there is one thing that bugs me that both DC and Marvel do. Most characters of color have similar backgrounds and similar stories told about them. Every Black character seems to be from Harlem, Detroit or Chicago or is from Africa. I am frustrated with the lack of characters of color but also annoyed simultaneously with the continual same character beats and tropes used in their representations.
    Also, I think it depends who you count as a minority character I always counted Damian Wayne when I thought of minority characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    While there is certainly a place and a need for heroes to represent their communities, etc. I am also frustrated by the lack of breadth when it comes to heroes of color. While it's important for these heroes to bring their point of view to a story and add their culture to the great tapestry of heroes, I personally want to see heroes of color stand right next to white heroes who protect the entire world, or the universe. Marvel's "Ultimates" had that for a bit, but at some point having heroes of color only "looking after their own" becomes its own kind of segregation - heroes of all color should be seen as altruistic enoughand powerful enough to stand for all humanity. And yes, there are a bunch of examples, but in terms of percentages, it still seems unbalanced to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    QFT. There really needs to be more to heroes of color then them "looking after their own". They do need to be seen handling things on a wider scale. The problem, as I see it anyway, is that there is this underlying perception that ONLY a hero of color is capable of understanding the problems of his own neighborhood. If a white hero tried to come into that same neighborhood they would either be looked upon by readers as trying to be the "White Savior" or they would be looked upon as having "White Privilege" which means they aren't capable of understanding the situation on the same level as the hero of color would.

Until both of these perceptions are dealt with in some way I expect that most heroes of color are going to continue to be similarly type cast. What we need to start seeing in order to change this attitude is heroes of both races treating each other as equals and with respect.
    This hasn’t been the case in decades if it were ever the case at all.
    John Stewart, Black Lightning, Vixen, Kimiyo Hoshi, Vibe and Steel were members of different iterations of the Justice League.
    Stewart is also a long time member of the Green Lanterns.
    The Titans has featured numerous characters of color like Cyborg, Pantha, Hot Spot, Bushido, Lorena Marquez and Jackson Hyde.
    The Falcon was a partner for Steve Rogers and a member of the Avengers. Luke served as a member and later leader of the team. Monica Rambeau was also a leader. And of course, there’s Al Ewing’s Ultimates.
    So I don’t know where this idea that characters of color only look out for their neighborhoods comes from. It has never been the case.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Titans has featured numerous characters of color like Cyborg, Pantha, Hot Spot, Bushido, Lorena Marquez and Jackson Hyde.
    Some of them are really obscure and Patha is an odd example sine afaik her ethnicity was only revealed at a point when the character was already dead.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    There's a little chicken and egg going on here too, as in do minority books not sell well typically at DC because they don't put many out, or do they not put many out because they don't sell well?
    But how long and how mayn comics should DC put out that don't sell?
    I mean they tried for years to push Cyborg and Blue Beetle for example, and both were still the lowest selling books in Rebirth.

Extraordinary Member

Becasue culturally they did not have to, but the world has changed and they cant ignore them so much now
    same as marvel

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But how long and how mayn comics should DC put out that don't sell?
    I mean they tried for years to push Cyborg and Blue Beetle for example, and both were still the lowest selling books in Rebirth.
    Your right Cyborg was put on the league just for diversity
    They should have kept black lightning, vixen or even Icon

Static needs to return to the Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post

Static needs to return to the Titans
    Eh. I think Cyborg needs to return to the Titans, but Static is more like Spider-Man in that he works better solo. And any of those guys on the League would be cool. I just want the founding members to be the traditional founding members.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member

I must say, I've always seen Cyborg as being a core member of the Titans

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    These numbers change dramatically when you start to look at them in context of age.
    Yeah, the number of Hispanic people is growing far faster than any other demographic. As at 2015, roughly 25% of all children born were Hispanic.

That being said, Hispanic people are also made up of different races, so it's a bit complex.

Some of them are really obscure and Patha is an odd example sine afaik her ethnicity was only revealed at a point when the character was already dead.
    They still exist.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It is not like those are particularly successful, Black Lighting's current mini is also not really selling, sales for the December issue were allready around 10K, and below the ones of even Deadman's and Ragman's minis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They still exist.
    But Bushido had iirc only in one annual a bigger role, and Hot Spot (didn't even go by that name iirc) was only on the 96 Teen Titans (who have appart from the name not much to do with the rest of the franchise).

But Bushido had iirc only in one annual a bigger role, and Hot Spot (didn't even go by that name iirc) was only on the 96 Teen Titans (who have appart from the name not much to do with the rest of the franchise).
    There's still Cyborg and Bumblebee who get a fair amount of fame. Hot Spot was also in the show. Again, my point is that they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    TBF though, DC has set a precedence that despite their overreliance on the same old iconic figures, those iconic figures don't necessarily have to be white in all their appearances. Dating as way back as the mid-late 60's

Race swapping of popular characters has always been in DC's genes.
    Especially Catwoman. LOL