Default Should The Joker have an ongoing series again?

Should Joker have an ongoing series again? Here's my arguments for yes.

1. He's had one before in the '70s.
    2. He's a long-running, iconic character who's a household name, synonymous with Batman
    3. Modern TV shows (Dexter, Breaking Bad) have shown us that you can still have an evil character be the protagonist of your narrative.
    4. Harley Quinn has a successful ongoing and she's strongly connected to The Joker.
    5. You can either emphasize the humor of The Joker's murdering ways like with Deadpool.
    6. If you don't like #5 then you can portray The Joker as a man fighting against society and it's rules. (see #3)
    7. The Joker is really,really popular and has been for decades.

Whether it's in good taste or not, i'm sure it would sell. There's no Comics Code anymore, the creative team could go 'all out.'

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I definitely think there is a case that can be made for such a series.

All I will say is that I think it comes down to the creative team and their pitch. I'd support it if the team made a good pitch and explained how it could work for a long time without getting stale or impeding upon other writers using Joker.

I'm generally not one of those types that grumbles about overusing Joker, but even I think a long running Joker series could be a tad pushing it and hurt his appearances elsewhere perhaps.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-07-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yeah I don't think a Joker series would work right now. The climate is different. Maybe a special series like 6 issues but Joker series over the years don't really last long.

I think the telltale version of joker is probably the version you wanna read about in a solo but other versions not so much. Joker is best left as a force of nature and other villians like Two-Face would be better suited for a solo instead.

I have a pitch somewhere on my laptop for a Joker POV miniseries that pits him against the Batfamily, but I haven’t thought of good enough ways past the story I have in mind to make it an ongoing series.

I’d really like to see him as part of a Secret Society of Super-Villains or Legion of Doom title to explore how other villains see him, are afraid of him, are unafraid of him, try to manipulate him to their use, get manipulated to his use, etc. I’d be fascinated by that kind of exploration of him in juxtaposition to interactions with other villains...kind of like how Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and other villains brought things out of him in BTAS.

It is interesting that the Joker has only had one comic book series and that was back in the 1970s and it only lasted for 9 issues while Harley Quinn and Catwoman have had several series with hundreds of books total.

Spectacular Member

Batman: White Knight is sort of a Joker story - but he had to reform for it to work.

I think having a series with Joker as a protagonist and therefore getting to know him better (you can't avoid it) will possibly make him less scary and chaotic... that might not be the way DC wants to go with him.

Joker loves Harley is supposed to be starting some time this year

If the traditional version of Harley is in it and Batman frequently appears, yeah. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Joker loves Harley is supposed to be starting some time this year
    Save for the bleached skin on Harley, those shorts were perfect and IMO need to be the status quo version of Joker and Harley. Dini gets it.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I don't feel the need.
    joker is a character that should be used sparingly and qualitively.

I'd kind of like a Joker solo that had him changing personality practically every issue to accommodate how inconsistently the Joker is portrayed these days .

All-New Member

I don't think it's the right time for Joker to have a series again. The public's preference i think is drawn towards something else right now