Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Saying "all lives matter" is sort of the equivalent of saying "let them eat cake".
    I don't get what you are saying, 'let them eat cake' is a term that shows ignorance to the plight of those you are unfamiliar with are you suggesting that I am ignorant? IEven if that was the case why shouldn't all lives matter?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-09-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    You should see the videos online about the output from Marvel America Chavez actually advocate Latino segregation as something progressive who wants to read that.
    I haven’t seen those videos, but anyone advocating segregation is the opposite of an SJW. That said I’ve seen people on the internet claim others are saying things and then as evidence provide links where they clearly don’t say those things - so I’d have to see it for myself to be sure.
    I referring to the fact that it's God who keeps everything in order
    The laws of science account for the vacuum of space pretty well. Now you may believe that God created those laws of science, but that’s a different thing.

I don't get what you are saying, 'let them eat cake' is a term that shows ignorance to the plight of those you are unfamiliar with are you suggesting that I am ignorant? IEven if that was the case why shouldn't all lives matter?
    The “black lives matter” movement isn’t suggesting that white lives don’t matter. Its whole point is that all lives matter - including black ones. To respond to that with “all lives matter” is to deliberately miss the point.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I haven’t seen those videos, but anyone advocating segregation is the opposite of an SJW. That said I’ve seen people on the internet claim others are saying things and then as evidence provide links where they clearly don’t say those things - so I’d have to see it for myself to be sure.
    That's what Gabby Rivera the writer of America Chavez's comic showed in the comic.

The laws of science account for the vacuum of space pretty well. Now you may believe that God created those laws of science, but that’s a different thing.
    Of course I believe God established many of those laws laws aren't passed without a person approving them.

The “black lives matter” movement isn’t suggesting that white lives don’t matter. Its whole point is that all lives matter - including black ones. To respond to that with “all lives matter” is to deliberately miss the point.
    I thought it had evolved into something beyond that?

Invincible Member

I thought it had evolved into something beyond that?
    What did you think it had evolved into?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What did you think it had evolved into?
    I thought the movement lost sight of it's purpose. So I said the wrong thing I should have said devolved.

BANNED

I thought the movement lost sight of it's purpose.
    You thought wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You thought wrong.
    Right my mistake then. Any who if Marvel and DC don't find a way to pull up and reinvigorate interest in their properties goodbye adaptations and merchandise.

Invincible Member

Right my mistake then. Any who if Marvel and DC don't find a way to pull up and reinvigorate interest in their properties goodbye adaptations and merchandise.
    I dunno. I think there's great interest in properties spun of from comic books, there's just less interest in the monthly comics themselves. For instance, the Black Panther comic sells at about 30k a month, but the movie is predicted to make $130mil. Even if it falls short, it still shows interest on the part of the general audience that excedes that of teh comics audience.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't know about the memories, but the business practices of Marvel and DC are pretty much why the American comic book industry is in relatively poor shape compared to Europe's or Japan's.
    But does that even matter any more? For Marvel and DC, the real money is made merchandising and other media, it doesn't matter that much how the comics are doing. Marvel could take the profits from one of their movies and use it fund the comic book division for several years if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I dunno. I think there's great interest in properties spun of from comic books, there's just less interest in the monthly comics themselves. For instance, the Black Panther comic sells at about 30k a month, but the movie is predicted to make $130mil. Even if it falls short, it still shows interest on the part of the general audience that exceeds that of the comics audience.
    But if the comics themselves do not make much bang for their buck the publishing division might have to be closed down then Marvel and DC will have to either sell their properties or convert themselves into studios for animation and live action shows. But doing that is a risk on it's own because even their adaptions are not immune to the same loss of interest that affect well everything that's the flavour of the moment. If this keeps up it will be just like bad World War II ended and people wanted more calm and stability in their lives so people loss interest in the superheroes fight against evil. So to stay afloat companies published different comics that were dedicated to different genres like romance and horror and the content was quite graphic. Which made things worse when psychiatrist Dr. Fredrick Wertham called comic books the source of the moral cancer that was rotting America and everyone even the US government turned against them and so the comic book industry had to censor themselves. Apart from the graphic scenes it was also because he examined juvenile delinquents on what they read and they said comic books not to mention the comics themselves had some very graphic content even back then. And so the industry hit an all time low and writers and artists lost their jobs. While DC has found some ways to draw attention to their comics by advertising the New Age of DC Superheroes on the telly and movie theaters it might be too little too late.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

Except comic books that obscure comic books that were not super popular have made insane amounts of money at the Box Office. Was Guardians of the Galaxy a huge deal before the movie came out? A comic book may not sell well and could still make crazy money at the box office, so yeah, the other media and the merchandising matters more then the comic books, that is where DC and Marvel make their money. Print is dying anyway, newspapers and magazine are going out of business, psychical comic books will suffer the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Except comic books that obscure comic books that were not super popular have made insane amounts of money at the Box Office. Was Guardians of the Galaxy a huge deal before the movie came out? A comic book may not sell well and could still make crazy money at the box office, so yeah, the other media and the merchandising matters more then the comic books, that is where DC and Marvel make their money. Print is dying anyway, newspapers and magazine are going out of business, psychical comic books will suffer the same fate.
    Somehow I beg to differ that print is dying out because there is still interest in printed material and it is necessary actually. And that's because the movie gave Guardians of the Galaxy a new fresh image just like writer Chris Claremont gave the X-Men a new more socially relevant image. MArvel's publishing division should have thought about it themselves but they didn't. So it's on them.

Astonishing Member

But if the comics themselves do not make much bang for their buck the publishing division might have to be closed down then Marvel and DC will have to either sell their properties or convert themselves into studios for animation and live action shows. But doing that is a risk on it's own because even their adaptions are not immune to the same loss of interest that affect well everything that's the flavour of the moment. If this keeps up it will be just like bad World War II ended and people wanted more calm and stability in their lives so people loss interest in the superheroes's fight against evil. And it got even worst when psychiatrist Dr. Fredrick Wertham called comic books the source of the moral cancer that was rotting America and everyone even the US government turned against them and so the comic book industry had to censor themselves. Because he examined juvenile delinquents on what they read and they said comic books not to mention the comics themselves had some very graphic content even back then. And so the industry hit an all time low and writers and artists lost their jobs. While DC has found some ways to draw attention to their comics by advertising the New Age of DC Superheroes on the telly and movie theaters it might be too little too late.
    Except Marvel has been making billions of dollars at the movies alone for 10 years now and that's just the movies. Again, besides a small group of fans, did anyone know about the Guardians of the Galaxy before 2014, now its a house hold name. Marvel is likely far more profitable now then it has in the past, could Marvel have a 4 billion asking price in the past. Its also controlled by the most powerful entertainment company out there, who has been selling adaptions for 80 years now, Marvel is not going away any time soon.

I think some fans do not want to admit that for Marvel and DC, their bread and butter is no longer comics and they are more general entertainment companies now.