Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Re: OP.

No.

In fact, they're most likely detrimental.

I've read this thread with great interest. But if your theory is that Disney and Warner need an ongoing monthly book coming out to be successful , then I don't agree. They just need access to all the stories that have been told from the late 30's until today. The Guardians of the Galaxy movie wasn't a hit because of the ongoing book. The film makers take the concept and characters and create new stories , often ignoring stories told before. Marvel and Dc will not have anyone in their right mind create a new character. I guess you have to look to the other companies where the creators retain the rights for that.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

I make the comparison between the comic industry, to the beer industry... DC and Marvel are like Miller and Budweiser ... the indie companies are like craft beers... while craft beers take more space in the display case, the question is whether the beer distributors could stay open without Bud, Coors or Miller... and Like craft beers, indie comics offer better products.... but the "big two" create the market...

My feeling is that right now, marvel and DC --instead of making comics as their primary product-- now use the source material to support their movie endeavors... the result --IMO-- has been that they've gotten less creative on the print-side...

Another question is.... Do we even need comic shops anymore?.... While I love stopping in to my favorite few shops, and bullshitting with my fellow nerds... Amazon might replace the entire brick and mortar end of the industry... There are always comic shows, conventions, etc where dealers can sell... I buy half my trade paperbacks at shows and cons anyway...

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    What makes you believe they could?

Any realistic solution is incompatible with their business model of floppies uber alles.
    Maybe they could maybe they couldn't because at least DC is finally making some effort to change some of their practices like their new attempt to appeal to the younger crowd via DC Ink and Zoom and the Ne Age of DC Superheroes push on the screens. But it all might be too late.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Maybe they could maybe they couldn't because at least DC is finally making some effort to change some of their practices like their new attempt to appeal to the younger crowd via DC Ink and Zoom and the Ne Age of DC Superheroes push on the screens. But it all might be too late.
    Too late for what? Both DC and Marvel make a mint with content in other media and merchandising.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Too late for what? Both DC and Marvel make a mint with content in other media and merchandising.
    Too late to save their publishing division which is technically the core business.

BANNED

They have been doing that for ages. Both Marvel and DC.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Other media and merchandising isn't part of the comic book industry.

The discussion isn't about the future of Marvel and DC, but the future of comics.

Too late to save their publishing division which is technically the core business.
    I don't think it is. Hasn't been for a while. At least not for Marvel.

BANNED

DC and Marvel are the reasons why comics are still alive, especially Marvrl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    DC and Marvel are the reasons why comics are still alive, especially Marvrl.
    You're joking.

They have been doing that for ages. Both Marvel and DC.
    From what I heard comics are only advertised in the comic ads on screen advertisement is non-existent. DC's manga line the Minx line failed because they executed it poorly And I won't forget the Marvel mangaverse. But now they are going to try again but this better work or else goodbye publishing division. But currently Marvel isn't doing anything like that the new editor in chief flew to the east to recruit new talent leaving everything to suffer from it's already dysfunctional power structure and employees. So at least DC is trying something.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-11-2018 at 01:14 AM.

I don't think it is. Hasn't been for a while. At least not for Marvel.
    Well technically it should be since it was the business that gave them their claim to fame but if they no longer care for it well they should just convert.

BANNED

You're joking.
    Im not joking, i wouldnt get to comics without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    I make the comparison between the comic industry, to the beer industry... DC and Marvel are like Miller and Budweiser ... the indie companies are like craft beers... while craft beers take more space in the display case, the question is whether the beer distributors could stay open without Bud, Coors or Miller... and Like craft beers, indie comics offer better products.... but the "big two" create the market...

My feeling is that right now, marvel and DC --instead of making comics as their primary product-- now use the source material to support their movie endeavors... the result --IMO-- has been that they've gotten less creative on the print-side...

Another question is.... Do we even need comic shops anymore?.... While I love stopping in to my favorite few shops, and bullshitting with my fellow nerds... Amazon might replace the entire brick and mortar end of the industry... There are always comic shows, conventions, etc where dealers can sell... I buy half my trade paperbacks at shows and cons anyway...
    Marvel has succeeded in adapting more so than DC because the grim tone was such a turn off. But some are noticing flaws in the Marvel especially since lately they have been going too off the rails with them. I saw in Spider-Man as most of his classic supporting cast was changed to look like Miles Morales's one that was a sore point there for people who know the comics and those who don't even read the comics according to a source I know. And I'm not going to forget what they did to the Ancient One and Baron Mordo who were both race lifted as well as Valkyrie and Heimdall. Not to mention that Marvel is overusing bathos or comedic breaks in a serious situation. And I suspect that this is because they think the jokes are what sell their movies. And when you over do something like jokes it might be a sign of lack of confidence your writing abilities. I feel like there is certain cockiness in Marvel right now like they can't do wrong with their movies. And it might be detrimental to them and it might not help if public tastes change when the people get tired of the superhero films just like all the times when a certain genre is popular in Hollywood. Comic book shops used to be everywhere in the past but it's obvious thanks to monopolies and the poor advertising they are no longer profitable and have dwindled. And if they die out Marvel and DC if they still care about publishing will have to distribute through other outlets.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-11-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

I don't think it is the core of their business anymore.