Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I don't think it is the core of their business anymore.
    I agree. Those movies and Tv shows are based on the comics but they don't follow exactly the comic stories.
    Also, I have no problem changing the race or sex of the Comic characters for the movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I agree. Those movies and Tv shows are based on the comics but they don't follow exactly the comic stories.
    Also, I have no problem changing the race or sex of the Comic characters for the movies.
    No problem maybe unless your favorite character gets the change on race or sex.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Marvel has succeeded in adapting more so than DC because the grim tone was such a turn off. But some are noticing flaws in the Marvel especially since lately they have been going too off the rails with them. I saw in Spider-Man as most of his classic supporting cast was changed to look like Miles Morales's one that was a sore point there for people who know the comics and those who don't even read the comics according to a source I know. And I'm not going to forget what they did to the Ancient One and Baron Mordo who were both race lifted as well as Valkyrie and Heimdall. Not to mention that Marvel is overusing bathos or comedic breaks in a serious situation. And I suspect that this is because they think the jokes are what sell their movies. And when you over do something like jokes it might be a sign of lack of confidence your writing abilities. I feel like there is certain cockiness in Marvel right now like they can't do wrong with their movies. And it might be detrimental to them and it might not help if public tastes change when the people get tired of the superhero films just like all the times when a certain genre is popular in Hollywood. Comic book shops used to be everywhere in the past but it's obvious thanks to monopolies and the poor advertising they are no longer profitable and have dwindled. And if they die out Marvel and DC if they still care about publishing will have to distribute through other outlets.
    Dont blame them for having less comic shops. It's due to going digital that's why music record stores and bookstores are also dwindling in numbers,

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    The changes though are kind of dangerous especially when a lot of these characters are well known. And fans are expecting some level of faithfulness.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-11-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I don't think it is the core of their business anymore.
    Then why do they continue to publish then? In fact once the Guardians of the Galaxy movie line up was well received they even changed the comic line up to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    Re: OP.

No.

In fact, they're most likely detrimental.
    Care to elaborate on why?

Then why do they continue to publish then? In fact once the Guardians of the Galaxy movie line up was well received they even changed the comic line up to match it.
    They also made the Supergirl comic books more in line with the Supergirl TV show, even to having a similar costume, getting rid of the New 52 Supergirl costumes. DC had cancelled the Supergirl comic books
    at Supergirl New 52 #40 and when the TV show came out DC sort of had egg on their face by not having a Supergirl comic book. Now the Supergirl comic book outsells several other DC comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    They also made the Supergirl comic books more in line with the Supergirl TV show, even to having a similar costume, getting rid of the New 52 Supergirl costumes. DC had cancelled the Supergirl comic books at Supergirl New 52 #40 and when the TV show came out DC sort of had egg on their face by not having a Supergirl comic book. Now the Supergirl comic book outsells several other DC comic books.
    So I reiterate why do people think comics are no longer their core business and that they can survive without being a publishing house? Because as it stands comics continue to exist in either company yet everyone thinks they don't matter to them. And if they ddin't matter to them why continue to create these comic book worlds that are so confusing it's like trying to wade through sludge? But it doesn't change my mind that the memories of Marvel and DC are not important to the future of comics.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-11-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Dont blame them for having less comic shops. It's due to going digital that's why music record stores and bookstores are also dwindling in numbers,
    Fifty shops have closed down in the couple of months too. If not the companies who have writers who are either mediocre or simply go around attacking fans online then who's to blame?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    They also made the Supergirl comic books more in line with the Supergirl TV show, even to having a similar costume, getting rid of the New 52 Supergirl costumes. DC had cancelled the Supergirl comic books
    at Supergirl New 52 #40 and when the TV show came out DC sort of had egg on their face by not having a Supergirl comic book. Now the Supergirl comic book outsells several other DC comic books.
    Well it's not the first time they have done-see Static Shock & Black Lightning. No minis don't count I mean an ongoing.

To get enough issues for trades versus just doing an OGN. It gives that comic book store a book to sell and give those who don't do trades a shot at the book.

According to some folks it's because of POC, women and LGBT but facts never get in the way of bashing books that you don't want made.

Maybe they could maybe they couldn't because at least DC is finally making some effort to change some of their practices like their new attempt to appeal to the younger crowd via DC Ink and Zoom and the Ne Age of DC Superheroes push on the screens. But it all might be too late.
    They have been doing this for years. The million dollar issue is what that younger crowd likes is NOT the same as the older one in a LOT of cases. So we see a war at the big two over who gets used.

Look at the Marvel backlash isn't it funny so many of those hated books are doing well as trades?

At one point on Amazon the top 100 super hero trades for teens were nothing but Black Panther, Ms Marvel, Jane Foster, Cho Hulk, GOTG & Miles Morales. They all beat BATMAN and all of DC's Rebirth.

The issue is those kids (nor their parents) are going to bother with a comic book store when Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target & Barnes & Nobles are around.

Doing OGN with Ms Marvel and friends only hurts those comic book stores even more. Few books and if one can trade wait on Ms Marvel-won't they do that with others?

DC and Marvel are the reasons why comics are still alive, especially Marvrl.
    They are part of the reason why it is in trouble.

Indy books and even POC, LGBT & women lead books make a store ORDER a set number to sell.

Those two certain books get over ordered and thus you have bins filled with unsold books ranging from Batman to X-Men to Avengers.

That is bad business. You should only order enough to SELL OUT. If you average 10 unsold of say Batman-your orders need to be lower.

2-3 unsold copies of Moon Girl does not kill a store. It's the large numbers that Batman and others toss out.

Because when those trades come out no one is going to bother with those unsold floppies unless they are at a discount.

Also let look at the sold out issue-I hear (insert DC/Marvel) book is sold out and hello second print. Yet when I go to a store guess whose first print is there? Saw that a lot with Star Wars #1 and Spider-Gwen 24.

Ultimate Member

Fifty shops have closed down in the couple of months too. If not the companies who have writers who are either mediocre or simply go around attacking fans online then who's to blame?

First off lets talk about the "fans" who attack creators because of race, sex or sexuality. The main ones who do it attack folks who have NOT bothered anybody.

Which is why you get the likes of Mark Waid furious and going off back in return.

Those creators are tired of being attack for no reason at all by those who have NEVER and I do mean NEVER read their books. How can I say America Chavez is a bad book if I never READ it let alone look at the preview?

Part of Nick Spencer's rant is to many attacks on books that have not been READ.

We got guys making multiple videos attacking films and comics that no one has made them read or watch.

If a book stars a POC, LGBT or women and not written by a white guy not named Bendis or Spencer or Wilson-it gets called SJW and the line starts with attacks and bashing.

I have heard more attacks on the women employee of Marvel that would get you FIRED from a fortune 500 company and SUED.

There is a DIFFERENCE between not liking what I wrote because you READ it versus you getting pitch forks and coming after me.

Because when CONFRONTED with what is it about these books that you have READ that made you dislike them-all you get is SILENCE.

Real example-a guy made a video insulting every female editor at Marvel saying they ruin books and only got hired as Affirmative Action hires and have no education. And ALL assistant editors at Marvel as unqualified females.

Guess who went SILENT when I pointed out to the Marvel book NOT edited by women, the MALE assistant editors at Marvel and the JOB requirements to be an editor at Marvel (any college degree and SOME knowledge in comics is needed).

He also Marvel books are Packed with typos. Yet he could not provide examples. Because he has NOT read a Marvel book in 20 years.

Stores are closing for reasons BEYOND Marvel or DC.

Look at what they SELL-a LOT of that stuff can be bought at LOWER prices at Wal-mart and Target.

Comic book store have lost the being an place to buy this or that. Same thing that is killing Toys R Us.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Im not joking, i wouldnt get to comics without them.
    Well, we have a pretty decent indigenous comic book industry, and before the movies, Marvel, DC, and superheroes in general were fairly obscure. They mostly existed in cartoon form on tv.

Invincible Member

I'd blame the changing marketplace ( and sometimes the specific retailers).

Tower Records shut down but it's not because people stopped liking music.

So I reiterate why do people think comics are no longer their core business and that they can survive without being a publishing house? Because as it stands comics continue to exist in either company yet everyone thinks they don't matter to them. And if they ddin't matter to them why continue to create these comic book worlds that are so confusing it's like trying to wade through sludge? But it doesn't change my mind that the memories of Marvel and DC are not important to the future of comics.
    The comic books aren't the core business for the simple numbers. Suicide Squad grossed more alone than DC and Marvel entire comic lines do in years. It happens and comic superheroes are far from the only property this has happened to.

Nobody is saying the comics don't matter. But there are more pairs of Wonder Woman underoos than the copies of latest issue of Wonder Woman. The comics will continue. They're selling far less than they did decades ago, but they're still selling. I still buy and read James Bond novels when they come out.

Can comics survive without Marvel and DC? Sure, in North America (US and Canada) that would change the market considerably. But the comic books aren't going away. If it takes a few thousand dollars to spit out a book to maintain a copyright worth nine figure grosses on the silver screen, WB and Disney will spit out the paper. And some of us will still line up and give them our $4 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The comic books aren't the core business for the simple numbers. Suicide Squad grossed more alone than DC and Marvel entire comic lines do in years. It happens and comic superheroes are far from the only property this has happened to.

Nobody is saying the comics don't matter. But there are more pairs of Wonder Woman underoos than the copies of latest issue of Wonder Woman. The comics will continue. They're selling far less than they did decades ago, but they're still selling. I still buy and read James Bond novels when they come out.

Can comics survive without Marvel and DC? Sure, in North America (US and Canada) that would change the market considerably. But the comic books aren't going away. If it takes a few thousand dollars to spit out a book to maintain a copyright worth nine figure grosses on the silver screen, WB and Disney will spit out the paper. And some of us will still line up and give them our $4 for it.
    At this point I'm beginning to wonder if they no longer sell well why does Marvel and DC keep tormenting their readers with new number ones and cosmic changing events that don't deliver. Just cut them out and become a studio because that's where all the money appears to be at and comics to them are chump change. But thena gain they don't get the bulk of the merchandising and Of course comics will survive without Marvel and DC but that's going to be hard to explain to those fans who think of them as their source of comfort. Me I just read for the heck of it.