Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Oh my Gosh Its like Marvel never changed up things before--

BANNED

I'm not going to read this thread, because the answer is "No. Never hard enough."

BANNED

Can you image if this came out now--Some readers would swear it was PC gone wild.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Nice job Marvel !!! It's always cool to have more diversitiy (I can't wait to read this new Thor and Angela).

But in the same time, I'm little sad, because I would have loved to see the comeback of Phyla-vell (like Quasar and not the negative "Martyr") and Moondragon; it was amazing to have a cosmic gay relationship; way better than the previous (and sadly the current) quasar (wendell), who is just another generic boring straight blond white male.
    I was a fan of Moondragon based on the few Avengers comics I picked up -- wouldn't mind seeing more of her in the books.

Karolina (Dean) is a "cosmic" character who happens to be a lesbian as well -- they started something up between her and Julie Power but never really built on it in print; as a fan of Julie since Power Pack and a fan of Karolina since The Runaways I'd like to see them do more with this relationship in the future.

Both have ties to outer space so they definitely could do an arc or two based on that if they wanted.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-19-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I actually feel a little guilty about the fact that I won't be picking the book up. But I don't care about Falcon, I don't care about Captain America, and I don't like Remender's writing. And despite my desire for greater diversity, and despite Immonen being my favourite regular Marvel artist (Rios and Hans are my favourites overall, but they don't get regular work), I'm not going to pick up a book that I don't really expect to enjoy.
    While I've never followed Falcon, I have always found something about him interesting/curious. I like his costume, his power; I always thought he'd be great to pair with Songbird, and he's sexy as hell. So I'll be giving the series a try, the artist is fab, and Remender... okay, he doesn't get the minority metaphor with the X-men (to an offensive degree, frankly) BUT his greatest strength is making new villains. My god he is one of the best at creating new awesome villains. And ALL successful solo stars need big, awesome, epic villains. Heroes are only ever as a good as the foes they face. So I think Remender will do a great job giving Sam his own villains, his own gallery of foes, and not just use Steve's hand-me-downs. So it's a good match.

As for Angela... I too will try that; love the gold outfit, any link to Loki is cool, and I try to give all minority solo series a shot if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    An Asian male superhero? Nobody cares about the Asian demographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Right -- that's why every film studio is trying to throw Chinese locations and actors into their big-budget action movies... because they don't care about the Asian demographic.
    Yes and no. Often it will be Asian locations and Asian styles... with a Caucasian, Western lead. In comics the only Asian males I can think of (of note) are Daken, Shang-Chi, Sunfire and Jimmy Woo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Thanks. What are these boards coming to when a guy like me gets banned just for acting like a dick? Madness!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-19-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    That is not Marvel's fault. First you blame Marvel for only promoting "he's black, she's female" and when proved they didn't, you now blame the View and Colbert. How is Marvel meant to control what the View and Colbert say??? And how can you (on any level) blame them for what others say?
    Actually what I did was agree that media might share a large part of the responsibility for the issues I have with this. I am willing to admit when someone else proves me wrong. I still think that the media didn't look at a bunch of press releases and decide that race and gender was the most important part of them alone. I think Marvel bears some of the blame for using race and gender to create a controversy and news. I think that Sam was simply a part of the story and Marvel knew that they could count on the media to jump on the black part. With the exception of their own website the news has been about Sam's race and not the story. They are capable of sending the writer out to do interviews with other sources but they didn't. They reveled in the attention. With Angela, they actually made a point of releasing it as "Thor is female now". Not only have they avoided all story, not even explaining that Thor's powers were moving to someone else. For days people were asking if her name was going to be Thor.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

BANNED

excelsiorprime just utterly devestated this thread

BANNED

BY the way, what does PC mean?

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    BY the way, what does PC mean?
    "Politically Correct"

I can say as someone whom Marvel is trying to "appeal" to that it absolutely comes off as supremely distasteful. To unanimously push these things so hard comes off as racist/prejudice in itself. It's grotesque. It's nothing but Marvel trying to show how "progressive" they are and then magnify it by putting it on mainstream television.

Marvel should focus on telling good stories. If that story involves a white male, then so be it. But don't try and railroad "minorities" into it just because, that's cheap.

There are plenty of great character minorities you can build up without doing something idiotic like transforming Thor into a female just because. Falcon replacing Cap would've been great if it was for a plausible reason. Have Cap have a practical injury and have Sam replace him while he heals up. But if they didn't do it the way they did, they couldn't lie to everyone and try to pass Sam off as the "new, official, lasting" Cap and their "equality" (readrejudice) movement wouldn't look as good. So instead we have so,e ridiculous, corny contrived and completely overdone canon-breaking story which is just absolutely ridiculous in every manner so Marvel can satisfy the PC masses.

Signed, an "equality" target

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I was a fan of Moondragon based on the few Avengers comics I picked up -- wouldn't mind seeing more of her in the books.

Karolina (Dean) is a "cosmic" character who happens to be a lesbian as well -- they started something up between her and Julie Power but never really built on it in print; as a fan of Julie since Power Pack and a fan of Karolina since The Runaways I'd like to see them do more with this relationship in the future.

Both have ties to outer space so they definitely could do an arc or two based on that if they wanted.
    Yeah, that could be cool too, but I prefer to see Moondragon with Phyla (we can have more than one lesbians couple, specially in cosmic stories), it was nice to see the daughters of Mar-vell and Drax together.

And visually, Phyla Quasar was amazing, with the lighting sword, the red costume etc..., to have her like the protector of the Universe, a lesbian character, give a strong message of hope, way more that the mediocre name "martyr" who have a very dark and negative image (I can't forgive DnA for what they have done to the onely lesbian character of GotG, in factMoondragon is "bi").

She is also now way more well known to be Quasar than wendell, recently, she was Quasar in the very good Avengers EMH cartoon, but now also in the mobile game of the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I hope Marvel or Bendis (or someone else) give her a second chance in this role.
    Last edited by Bolo; 07-19-2014 at 11:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    "Politically Correct"
    I see. Thanks a lot. I couldn't think of anything else but "personal computer"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I can say as someone whom Marvel is trying to "appeal" to that it absolutely comes off as supremely distasteful. To unanimously push these things so hard comes off as racist/prejudice in itself. It's grotesque. It's nothing but Marvel trying to show how "progressive" they are and then magnify it by putting it on mainstream television.

Marvel should focus on telling good stories. If that story involves a white male, then so be it. But don't try and railroad "minorities" into it just because, that's cheap.
    And yet, if they just focus on telling good stories, and that happens to involve non-white or non-male leads, then "so be it" is no longer applicable. In fact, apparently the only stories that could concievably be told with a minority lead are to "railroad" a political agenda.

There is something grotesque going on here, but it's not what Marvel is doing.
    Last edited by heiro5; 07-19-2014 at 12:45 PM.

BANNED

A bit hyperbolic don't you think?

I see nothing "cheap" about the moves Marvel are making at this point and really feel that at the end of the day, it probably makes more sense to actually read the books when they come out rather than wildly speculalting about them.

There are plenty of great character minorities you can build up without doing something idiotic like transforming Thor into a female just because. Falcon replacing Cap would've been great if it was for a plausible reason. Have Cap have a practical injury and have Sam replace him while he heals up. But if they didn't do it the way they did, they couldn't lie to everyone and try to pass Sam off as the "new, official, lasting" Cap and their "equality" (readrejudice) movement wouldn't look as good. So instead we have so,e ridiculous, corny contrived and completely overdone canon-breaking story which is just absolutely ridiculous in every manner so Marvel can satisfy the PC masses.
    Once again, how can you jump to such wild conclusions and make bold prouncements on material that hasn't even been published yet?

For all any of us know, the changes taking place with Thor may very well make all the sense in the world once the first few isues come out and ass far as Sam Wilson as Captain America, though I would have much prefered it for Steve's replacement to either be Josiah X or Eli Bradley, I'm more than prepared to see what lies ahead for Sam in his new role.