Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel Announces New Exclusive Agreement with Brian Michael Bendis

Fresh off news of his departure from the X-Men titles, Marvel has announced that Brian Michael Bendis has renewed his exclusive deal with the company.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member Sad Superman's Avatar

I don't love all of his work but it's clear that he's incredibly passionate about this industry and that's really fun to see. I can't wait to see what he does next.

Great news. As opposed to the popular opinion, I actually really like his work.

I'm gonna guess he's the head of the Netflix devision now.

Just get Bendis off the Guardians of the galaxy title and give it to Dan Abnett he's doing a great job in Guardians 3000.
    But I love his work on Ultimate Spider-man so hoping to see some good stuff from what he does next during and after Secret Wars.
    Last edited by Alucard2099; 02-04-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Great news. As opposed to the popular opinion, I actually really like his work.
    Given the sales figures, that "popular opinion" isn't actually that popular.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Astonishing Member

I'm actually pretty disappointed actually, I mean unless he really is actually getting more work on the Marvel Studio side of things.

I would have liked to see him get a go at a DC project or two. I'm pretty sure they would have snapped him up for something if they could.

Extraordinary Member

Darn, I was hoping he'd take his creator-owned work to Image, because that would mean Image had officially become uncool.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think there's a lot of DC characters he'd be appropriate for. His style doesn't fit all Marvel characters but it fits some of them. DC characters tend to demand a more traditional comic book style of dialogue, unlike Peter Parker or Miles Morales.

It seems like he may be heading in the same direction as DC's star writer, Geoff Johns: not giving up on comics, but writing fewer of them as he gets more involved in the company's other entertainment branches.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I'm not a massive Bendis fan but it's obviously good news for Marvel. Having written Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, Daredevil and Guardians I thought he might have pursued more indie work or even switch to DC.

Amazing Member

I'll be sad to see him leave the X-comics, his side-by-side work with All-New and Uncanny has been pretty good, not to mention the Guardians crossover Trial of Jean Grey. I'm wondering if All-New will wrap up completely, though - or if it's been consistent in sales enough for Marvel to get another writer in for it. I love Dan Abnett's Guardians writing but I'm happy Bendis is carrying on with GotG for now; he's invested a lot into it. A passionate writer who can't please everyone but his numbers are never poor.

BANNED

He sells, that's it.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I'm gonna guess he's the head of the Netflix devision now.
    Despite the fact that he consults on the movies, he's maintained he hasn't been involved so far with AKA Jessica Jones, at least. IDK if he's looked at Daredevil or the other stuff. I think the Powers show is keeping him busy.

I do hope that this means a new volume of Alias. (With a MAX rating! And with the same lettering like it used to have!)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I do hope that this means a new volume of Alias. (With a MAX rating! And with the same lettering like it used to have!)
    Didn't Alias go back and forth between different kinds of lettering? All Marvel's books were forced to switch to upper/lower case lettering in 2002-3 by Bill Jemas's orders, but when Jemas left, almost everything went back to all-caps except the Ultimate line.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Didn't Alias go back and forth between different kinds of lettering? All Marvel's books were forced to switch to upper/lower case lettering in 2002-3 by Bill Jemas's orders, but when Jemas left, almost everything went back to all-caps except the Ultimate line.
    Yeah, it did. I think it just went from all-caps to lowercase the one time, though. I just said that because in the Alias story in the Anniversary Special, they used the same bland all-caps font Marvel uses for most of it's books these day. It didn't work as well with the Gaydos/Hollingsworth art as either the stylized all-caps lettering at the beginning of Alias's run nor the lower case lettering.

edit: I went back and looked and the fonts are slightly different between Alias #1 and the special but not extremely different. I just can't finger what feels so off about the newer one to me. Maybe it's the spacing?
    Last edited by responsarbre; 02-04-2015 at 02:53 PM.