Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is Marvel's "Minority"/PC Month trying too hard?

So far this month:
    Thor now uses the Ladies Room
    Captain America became Captain African American
    Nick Fury became a geriatric and his jobs will be filled by Shaft and PTSD patient
    Deadpool showed us that the offspring of a Canadian and a Latina is Rudy from the Cosby show
    The one established female African character gets her own solo title
    A teenaged girl of middle eastern decent hangs out with "that guy they marketed so hard they have to kill him off for a while now" and becomes a Moon Person
    A rodent that you can't call a rodent became an insatiable womanizer
    And the rich guy in the Iron suit is set to become a bigger d-bag than Kanye West

To be fair I'm not calling these bad ideas... I'm just wondering what's next? Is Silver Surfer going to give his surfboard to an Asian? At some point doesn't the pandering become so obvious that it loses the desired effect?
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Don't forget about latino ghost driver. I'm still waiting for an asian male superhero (other than shang chi)

Are asians stereotypically good surfers?

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Are asians stereotypically good surfers?
    I'm not sure, but the Japanese pop-star in Invaders is too stereotypical to last long.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

I have to agree. Its nice that Marvel is trying to have more varied characters than just white dudes, but on the other hand its hard to take them seriously when it all happens in rather short time frame and Marvel being very public about it. Feels like they are more interested getting nice PR than in actually promoting female or black characters.

Like, if Marvel really cared about Falcon then probably we would have gotten Falcon series with big marketing push and top tier creative team. But no, we get him as replacement Cap because thats going to generate way more buzz and move more copies than actually good series with Falcon as the star.

Worst part is that we all know that Steve is going to be Cap again in a couple of years (if not sooner for next Avengers movie) and Falcon will move back to same spot that he currently occupies - supporting character of Captain America. So what is the goal here actually? To promote black character or just to create some hype in between movies? Wouldn't surprise me if 3-4 years later we are going to get another replacement story where Cap is replaced by some female.

Defy "trying too hard".

Because Ms. Marvel is doing perfectly fine, and her actually being with Wolverine makes sense, story-wise.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I have to agree. Its nice that Marvel is trying to have more varied characters than just white dudes, but on the other hand its hard to take them seriously when it all happens in rather short time frame and Marvel being very public about it. Feels like they are more interested getting nice PR than in actually promoting female or black characters.

Like, if Marvel really cared about Falcon then probably we would have gotten Falcon series with big marketing push and top tier creative team. But no, we get him as replacement Cap because thats going to generate way more buzz and move more copies than actually good series with Falcon as the star.

Worst part is that we all know that Steve is going to be Cap again in a couple of years (if not sooner for next Avengers movie) and Falcon will move back to same spot that he currently occupies - supporting character of Captain America. So what is the goal here actually? To promote black character or just to create some hype in between movies? Wouldn't surprise me if 3-4 years later we are going to get another replacement story where Cap is replaced by some female.
    the way I feel too, a stunt which will be revoked as soon as Cap 3 is on the horizon. It is unfortunate a character as good as Sam is being thrown into this as a temporary PR Move....so much is being forced right now. Shrugs.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Brilliantly said. This whole Sam as Cap business is so much garbage, I can smell the stench all way from Philadelphia.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

This basically sums it up perfectly. It'd be better just to have a Falcon series now at the height of his popularity since the movie. You know give him some good rogues, a good writer, and really make his character shine, but now he'll just fight Cap villains and when Rogers takes the role back I believe it'll be a disservice to his character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I'm not sure, but the Japanese pop-star in Invaders is too stereotypical to last long.
    Oh my, when I saw that I was a little...wow'd. With Namor going rogue again, and Captain America and Bucky becoming something "new" I think November will be the final issue anyhow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janobi View Post
    Don't forget about latino ghost driver. I'm still waiting for an asian male superhero (other than shang chi)
    There will be a transgendered superhero starring in their own comic before that happens.

My question is this:

When the population of Latinos outnumbers that of Whites in America in a few decades, will we see a white Captain America for "PC/Minority" month?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    My question is this:

When the population of Latinos outnumbers that of Whites in America in a few decades, will we see a white Captain America for "PC/Minority" month?
    wow never heard of a white Latino?

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    wow never heard of a white Latino?
    I have. Do you have a point? Read some news articles before you post nonsense.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janobi View Post
    I've got one (Miles Tran) in my link below (Primus) -- assuming you don't have a problem with him being Vietnamese-American and kind of a bastard.

We had Kenji for a while but the X-Office killed him off to promote Hope. I think Brian Wood was trying to kick-start it with Shogo (Jubiliee's kid) and his relationship with Storm's daughter from the future -- I guess we'll see how that plays out as the story continues.

Quote Originally Posted by MB99 View Post
    Joe doesn't actually say this part. He just said "I don't see color". As for the rest about no serious discussion about the story, I don't see how we can really blame Joe for that. It's Colbert's show and he dictates the conversation and since he runs a comedy show he uses up the time making jokes. There is almost never a serious conversation on the Colbert Report
    Posting for reference... Joe Q looks like he is eating well...

"Watch Stephen Colbert lose out on becoming the next Captain America"

http://theweek.com/article/index/264...aptain-america
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-18-2014 at 06:53 PM.