Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    How many of them actually said anything?
    All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I assume it might make filming one a tad difficult the later into the pregnancy she gets.

Afterward, and considering Marvel just released a bunch of dates for future films, she might have one in the pipe.
    She was filming Avengers 2 while pregnant.

By the time another film could even go into production she'll have given birth already.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Which Minority character do you want to see or think can handle a movie on his/her own? Besides Black Panther I don't think anyone else can. Maybe Luke Cage.

When you have The Incredible Hulk failing in his last two attempts on the big screen, and his is arguably in the top 5 most recognizable Marvel characters, there's just not a lot of hope for minority superheroes.
    I think the Hulk movies failed (for a certain value of "failed") because they just weren't really great movies. I think a good movie will get viewers, no matter who it is.

Black Panther is an obvious choice. A War Machine solo. A Falcon solo film. A Nick Fury solo film, showing some earlier adventures he had. They could do Monica Rambeau. Frankly, they could do anyone they chose to. They could make a Firebird movie, and if it's well-made, people will watch it. That's the real lesson we should take home: If people think the movie is good, they will watch it, no matter who it's about. If they don't think it's good, they won't watch it, also no matter who it's about.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    In what math is 60 million ten times 33 million?

Agent of Shild is not on a basic cable channel it is on a network those are two different things. Also 6 million is an incorrect number.

and 60 million people do not go to a movie in the US ever. The biggest grosses based on the average ticket price of $8 (who knew it dropped so much) do not calculate to 60 million viewers and the numbers you do get repeat ticket buyers not unique buyers/viewers.

Do you really thing subscribers are the only revenue source for a netfix/streaming show? In this day and age you cannot be that naïve. Of course the number of viewers matter. More viewers, more unique viewers matters a lot. And all of this is only if you care about the bottom line which to be honest I do not I am not a shareholder so it means nothing to me.

The cultural penetration of online streaming is on the up tick movie releases not so much.
    Just because 33 million households subscribe to Netflix does not mean every single household will watch the Marvel shows. How many homes is ABC in? I'd be willing to bet more than 33 million. I would bet that the shows will be lucky to hit 6 million viewers.

Yes, the movies get a lot of repeat viewers. And those people pay every time they watch the movie, so it's more money in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    They made Blade into a successful film franchise. And if someone had said 10 years ago that a GOTG movie was going ot be made and expected to be a hit you'd laugh at them.

A loose adaptation of Big Hero Six is being set up to be another Disney hit.

It's hard to say what wont work a major motion pictures when they've been able to turn relatively obscure characters into big franchises.
    I read a lot of comics and if it wasn't for the movie I wouldn't have known Big Hero 6 even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    All of them.
    They all spoke, and there were more POC in that one film than the entirety of the MCU, but lets not act like they were anything more than cannon fodder.

Ultimate Member

They made Blade into a successful film franchise. And if someone had said 10 years ago that a GOTG movie was going ot be made and expected to be a hit you'd laugh at them.

A loose adaptation of Big Hero Six is being set up to be another Disney hit.

It's hard to say what wont work a major motion pictures when they've been able to turn relatively obscure characters into big franchises.
    Marvel is playing this right.

Even if the comic book film market eventually burns out, nobody can say they didn't handle the "boom" like pros and make some pretty good movies in the process.

If they can use that cash to keep putting out so many new (and diverse) titles worth checking out (Ms. Marvel, Storm, Ghost Rider, Elektra, She-Hulk, X-Men, Black Widow, etc) then I am all for it.

Maybe they can eventually get around to making a Binary movie and a good X-Men RPG as well.

--------

"‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Will Make at Least $500 Million"

"Mark it down. I'm saying right here, right now that Guardians of the Galaxy will earn at least $500 million in worldwide box office receipts and unleash a new franchise for Walt Disney's (NYSE: DIS ) Marvel Studios.

Sound crazy? Consider the signs. The Guardians of the Galaxy comic book series has sold well. Trailers have drawn raves and social media interest is high. Now pre-release data sourced by TheWrap says Marvel's space epic is tracking for $60 million when it opens the weekend of August 1. That's about in line with domestic openings for Marvel franchise-starters Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor.

Skeptics will note that neither film earned $500 million worldwide. Worse, The Incredible Hulk opened at $55 million in June 2008, five weeks after Iron Man, but failed to crack $300 million worldwide. Yet these films also came before The Avengers changed our notion of what a Marvel movie could be. Those that followed have earned substantially more than $500 million worldwide..."

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...t-500-mil.aspx
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-20-2014 at 08:59 PM.

BANNED

She was filming Avengers 2 while pregnant.

By the time another film could even go into production she'll have given birth already.
    And Whedon said they were "working around" the pregnancy. Which probably means a great deal of editing and shooting above the belly. Not exactly how you want to film a solo about an acrobatic super-spy.

Like I said, Black Widow might be in the pipe. She'll already have some more action hero cred going with LUCY which is about to release. And after Avengers 2, I think she'll want to do the mom thing with her newborn instead of being off filming another movie. Just might take a bit longer to get to her.

BANNED

She's currently pregnant.
    That really has no bearing on the past 9 Marvel movies made. She made Lucy. That could have been a Black Widow film.

'

You're just flat out wrong on this one....
    No, I'm not.

I've saw plenty of that on the old boards in relation to Mighty Avengers, New Avengers, and Avengers.

In fact from the start of New Avenges I clearly remember people saying the group needed more female representation and folks specifically mentioning Emma Frost as a candidate.

With Avengers I remember people saying it was failure on Hickman's part have such a large cast and not one of them be a LGBTQ character.
    Needed more female representation and needs more LGBTQ isn't the same as saying the group isn't diverse. That's what Tiamatty did, and that's what I've seen numerous times about the X-Men and the Young Avengers. I've no problem with people wanting more of their specific representation. What I have a problem with is people acting like their singular minority is ALL diversity, and everything else doesn't count.

IIRC, that wasn't the case about Hickman's Avengers -- as there allegedly is an LGBTQ person on the roster. It was more about Hickman not saying WHO was LGBT, and keeping him in the closet.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    In a business model, when is pandering ever a bad thing, anyway?
    It's not, in fact they call it "targeted marketing" and it's the future.

For instance you wouldn't say in X-Men: DOFP that Kitty Pryde and Magneto count as LGBTQ characters because the actors portraying them are gay.
    Exactly, in fact in terms of LGBT diversity we still haven't had any from the Marvel movie properties. Closest would be Victoria Hand who was out in the comics but not in AoS even though her actress is out. But the character is dead anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I've never gone to a big comic-con in the States. So are there actually a lot of minorities attending those conventions? Or is it mainly white? Serious question.
    I don't know the percentages but I definitely see persons of color in cosplay pics.

They all spoke, and there were more POC in that one film than the entirety of the MCU, but lets not act like they were anything more than cannon fodder.
    Now that you mention it, after the world is saved, we don't see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    It's extremely disheartening to see people who allegedly support diversity, once again discounting women and equating diversity only with race.
    Again, the diversity is only in the aliens. Still our human hero is a white male. It's like when Marvel decided to do a robot team of heroes "Avengers AI" but they were lead by Hank Pym because even freaking robots need a white male to lead them.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Again, the diversity is only in the aliens. Still our human hero is a white male. It's like when Marvel decided to do a robot team of heroes "Avengers AI" but they were lead by Hank Pym because even freaking robots need a white male to lead them.
    Hank was not exactly the leader there Visio was. Hank was in more of a support role.

BANNED

That really has no bearing on the past 9 Marvel movies made. She made Lucy. That could have been a Black Widow film.

No, I'm not.

Needed more female representation and needs more LGBTQ isn't the same as saying the group isn't diverse. That's what Tiamatty did, and that's what I've seen numerous times about the X-Men and the Young Avengers. I've no problem with people wanting more of their specific representation. What I have a problem with is people acting like their singular minority is ALL diversity, and everything else doesn't count.

IIRC, that wasn't the case about Hickman's Avengers -- as there allegedly is an LGBTQ person on the roster. It was more about Hickman not saying WHO was LGBT, and keeping him in the closet.
    Some of those films were sequels, to be fair. And for characters much bigger than Black Widow.

Yes, LUCY could have been a BW movie. But it wasn't. Mainly because it's not even a Disney production.

But in the comics Star-Lord is a half-human, half-spartoi and he has got a black-skinned full spartoi half-sister!

People were outright saying the New Avengers roster wasn't diverse because it was all male.

As for Avengers I clearly remember someone saying the book failed a diversity because there were no LGBTQ characters in the book. It was a multi page topic of discussion in the marvel has a diversity problem thread.

You'll still occasionally see people pop into the Mighty Avengers appreciation thread saying the book isn't diverse.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean people haven't been complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I think the Hulk movies failed (for a certain value of "failed") because they just weren't really great movies. I think a good movie will get viewers, no matter who it is.

Black Panther is an obvious choice. A War Machine solo. A Falcon solo film. A Nick Fury solo film, showing some earlier adventures he had. They could do Monica Rambeau. Frankly, they could do anyone they chose to. They could make a Firebird movie, and if it's well-made, people will watch it. That's the real lesson we should take home: If people think the movie is good, they will watch it, no matter who it's about. If they don't think it's good, they won't watch it, also no matter who it's about.

Just because 33 million households subscribe to Netflix does not mean every single household will watch the Marvel shows. How many homes is ABC in? I'd be willing to bet more than 33 million. I would bet that the shows will be lucky to hit 6 million viewers.

Yes, the movies get a lot of repeat viewers. And those people pay every time they watch the movie, so it's more money in the bank.

ABC is in every house with a TV that is plugged in and its lowest rated shows are seen by more unique viewers than 90% of the movies released.

No not every household that subscribes will watch but as I said not every subscriber represents one viewer as each ticket sold does.

If you care about grosses and how much a movie or show makes don't respond I really have no interest in is how many millions a corporation makes and what department makes more.

If the topic is cultural penetration a show with 10ish episodes that is discussed on websites, talked about on poscasts, tweeted about, mentioned on tumbler, blogs for weeks and then again during year as TV seasons come and go.

In other words would you rather have your character be the next Walter White, or Don Drapper or would you want him to be what ever Mark Wahlberg's name in the Transformers is? Would you rather be talked about for years or moved past after a week or two in the theaters. Which has more cultural penetration in the long term?

BANNED

Exactly, in fact in terms of LGBT diversity we still haven't had any from the Marvel movie properties. Closest would be Victoria Hand who was out in the comics but not in AoS even though her actress is out. But the character is dead anyhow.
    I keep hoping she comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980
    I've never gone to a big comic-con in the States. So are there actually a lot of minorities attending those conventions? Or is it mainly white? Serious question.
    I don't know the percentages but I definitely see persons of color in cosplay pics.
    And other minorities, like women, are cosplaying there also.

FACEPALM.

Let me get this straight. We're counting the male aliens as men, to prove GotG doesn't have diversity, but we aren't counting the female alien as female -- hence zero diversity? Is that really the argument folks are making?

Some of those films were sequels, to be fair. And for characters much bigger than Black Widow.

Yes, LUCY could have been a BW movie. But it wasn't. Mainly because it's not even a Disney production.
    That's not the point. You said ScarJo's pregnancy precluded a BW film, and I pointed out she had time to do BW like film, around the pregnancy -- had Marvel wanted to do BW movie.