Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    They all spoke, and there were more POC in that one film than the entirety of the MCU, but lets not act like they were anything more than cannon fodder.
    Yeah, Halle Berry has been pure cannon fodder in the X-men movies. Yep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    How is that goal post moving? I'm not the one who brought it up or even argued that point. I was partially agree and disagree with both of them.
    At least you acknowledged that you were wrong about none of the PoC X-men speaking. Have you not gotten to see the movie yet? That's a pretty silly thing for you to be wrong about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    But in the comics Star-Lord is a half-human, half-spartoi and he has got a black-skinned full spartoi half-sister!
    Clearly I need to add Starlord to my pulls. I havent been following any of the new GoTG stuff. I have gotten any since Abnett and LAnning

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    That really has no bearing on the past 9 Marvel movies made. She made Lucy. That could have been a Black Widow film.

No, I'm not.

Needed more female representation and needs more LGBTQ isn't the same as saying the group isn't diverse. That's what Tiamatty did, and that's what I've seen numerous times about the X-Men and the Young Avengers. I've no problem with people wanting more of their specific representation. What I have a problem with is people acting like their singular minority is ALL diversity, and everything else doesn't count.

IIRC, that wasn't the case about Hickman's Avengers -- as there allegedly is an LGBTQ person on the roster. It was more about Hickman not saying WHO was LGBT, and keeping him in the closet.
    Point made.

now when I say such and such could be MORE diverse. Do you think I will still read. "No need to add any ___ it is diverse already."

I think I will.

Which is My point.

You can't condone it on one side of the coin and then not on the other...Its the same coin.

If there were a book with all racial minorities and a gay person or woman wanted a character like them on the team..would I be right in saying..hey my book is diverse. No need to add a woman or gay character.

Doesn't that seem disingenuous to you?
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 07-20-2014 at 09:54 PM.

If I showed my younger cousins these falcon as Cap books they might want to dress up as Cpt. America for Halloween... Marvel you f****ing a**holes. Anyway I feel it's a misnomer to label white women minorities the same way I'm a minority as a black male. When Susan B Anthony and others were crusading for women's right to vote in the early 20th century in this country you think they were talking all women, trust me they were not. When Feminism took hold in the 1960's women wanted equal access to the workplace as men, But what kind of women and what kind of workplace did Feminism try to uplift. It was white college educated women who were bored with there lives and felt like being a housewife or secretary to a banker was to demeaning, they wanted to be the bankers. You know what kind of women where this conversation meant nothing up until about 20 years ago, women of color. My grandmother did the exact same exact work my grandfather did, being a f****ing sharecropper not five miles away from the plantation where their grandparents were slaves. You see how Feminism did nothing to address women like my grandmother because she didn't have a choice if she was going to work our not she had 11 mouths to feed. My grandmother didn't have the luxury of having a choice if she was going to be a housewife or have a career and career is a strong word since it was hard enough for black men to have equal access to job opportunities at the onset of Feminism so forget about black women. In summary I wouldn't call the whole gender of women a minority they are more then half the population by that very definition they are not minorities. Now women have been oppressed by the white male homogeneity in this country and so has every racial minority group so I could see how someone could confuse the two but they are not one in the same.

P.S sorry for the rant

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dabpool View Post
    If I showed my younger cousins these falcon as Cap books they might want to dress up as Cpt. America for Halloween... Marvel you f****ing a**holes. Anyway I feel it's a misnomer to label white women minorities the same way I'm a minority as a black male. When Susan B Anthony and others were crusading for women's right to vote in the early 20th century in this country you think they were talking all women, trust me they were not. When Feminism took hold in the 1960's women wanted equal access to the workplace as men, But what kind of women and what kind of workplace did Feminism try to uplift. It was white college educated women who were bored with there lives and felt like being a housewife or secretary to a banker was to demeaning, they wanted to be the bankers. You know what kind of women where this conversation meant nothing up until about 20 years ago, women of color. My grandmother did the exact same exact work my grandfather did, being a f****ing sharecropper not five miles away from the plantation where their grandparents were slaves. You see how Feminism did nothing to address women like my grandmother because she didn't have a choice if she was going to work our not she had 11 mouths to feed. My grandmother didn't have the luxury of having a choice if she was going to be a housewife or have a career and career is a strong word since it was hard enough for black men to have equal access to job opportunities at the onset of Feminism so forget about black women. In summary I wouldn't call the whole gender of women a minority they are more then half the population by that very definition they are not minorities. Now women have been oppressed by the white male homogeneity in this country and so has every racial minority group so I could see how someone could confuse the two but they are not one in the same.

P.S sorry for the rant

I think more is being injected into the argument or topic than necessary. really the point is..can racial minorities be involved in the same plot lines as other characters?

As in stepping in and replacing an established hero for a time?

The answer is a simple yes or no. Either you don't mind minorities having the same level of story potential or you do.

The rest is window dressing.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    So far this month:
    Thor now uses the Ladies Room
    Captain America became Captain African American
    Nick Fury became a geriatric and his jobs will be filled by Shaft and PTSD patient
    Deadpool showed us that the offspring of a Canadian and a Latina is Rudy from the Cosby show
    The one established female African character gets her own solo title
    A teenaged girl of middle eastern decent hangs out with "that guy they marketed so hard they have to kill him off for a while now" and becomes a Moon Person
    A rodent that you can't call a rodent became an insatiable womanizer
    And the rich guy in the Iron suit is set to become a bigger d-bag than Kanye West

To be fair I'm not calling these bad ideas... I'm just wondering what's next? Is Silver Surfer going to give his surfboard to an Asian? At some point doesn't the pandering become so obvious that it loses the desired effect?
    Some of these are bad, yes but some of them - really what is the difference between this and when Beta Ray Bill replaced Thor or Rhodey replaced Tony or US Agent was playing at Cap? And they werent really replaced in the long run and it lead to some compelling stories. So why if its a woman and a black man now is it PC? 2 of those previous mentioned are looked back on fondly. I dont think this counts as pc gone wrong. To me its when an established white character skin color is changed not when a role is taken over temporarily or in addition to, IMHO.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-20-2014 at 10:07 PM.

I keep hoping she comes back.
    She's totally going to. I mean, we didn't actually see her die. I'm quite sure we'll see more Victoria Hand next season.

(And hopefully she'll be explicitly queer.)

BANNED

Got to love Tom B

"Tom Brevoort Makes $100 Bets That The New Captain America And Thor Won’t Revert To The Originals In Time For The Release Of Avengers: Age Of Ultron"

Don't believe me Google it. LOL

BANNED

I keep hoping she comes back.

And other minorities, like women, are cosplaying there also.

FACEPALM.

Let me get this straight. We're counting the male aliens as men, to prove GotG doesn't have diversity, but we aren't counting the female alien as female -- hence zero diversity? Is that really the argument folks are making?

That's not the point. You said ScarJo's pregnancy precluded a BW film, and I pointed out she had time to do BW like film, around the pregnancy -- had Marvel wanted to do BW movie.
    Clearly she couldn't since, you know, she was doing LUCY which was probably filmed right before the pregnancy. And now she's filming Avengers 2.

Why LUCY and not BLACK WIDOW? Maybe she wanted to work with that specific director. I don't think her or Marvel are as in a rush as some fans seem to be. It's a-comin', I'm sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tacobongo View Post
    She's totally going to. I mean, we didn't actually see her die. I'm quite sure we'll see more Victoria Hand next season.

(And hopefully she'll be explicitly queer.)
    This is why I have hope. And comics.

Needed more female representation and needs more LGBTQ isn't the same as saying the group isn't diverse. That's what Tiamatty did, and that's what I've seen numerous times about the X-Men and the Young Avengers. I've no problem with people wanting more of their specific representation. What I have a problem with is people acting like their singular minority is ALL diversity, and everything else doesn't count.
    That wasn't what I was trying to say. I'm an advocate for more of all types of diversity, in terms of characters and creators, in both the comics and movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Clearly she couldn't since, you know, she was doing LUCY which was probably filmed right before the pregnancy. And now she's filming Avengers 2.

Why LUCY and not BLACK WIDOW? Maybe she wanted to work with that specific director. I don't think her or Marvel are as in a rush as some fans seem to be. It's a-comin', I'm sure.
    I for one would love to see a Luc Besson Black Widow film.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    That wasn't what I was trying to say. I'm an advocate for more of all types of diversity, in terms of characters and creators, in both the comics and movies.
    Don't sweat it. I and probably other's didnt take your or fel's words that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I for one would love to see a Luc Besson Black Widow film.

Don't sweat it. I and probably other's didnt take your or fel's words that way.

He did one years ago except it was called La Femme Nikita

BANNED

Well, no probably about it. LUCY filmed during late 2013. Doubt it's a big enough gap to squeeze in BW, though.

And yeah, Besson on BW would be rad.