Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by prismablue View Post
    That's a self fulfilling prophecy. With marvel's media machine behind it good new characters could sell when weaved into the marvel u.
    We've seen characters that people don't even like get weaved into the Marvel Universe.

I do believe that new characters can sell, but same people who are upset about what Marvel is doing now would still have a problem with new minority characters. The same tried language about things being "forced", "PC", "shoved down their throats" would be trotted out.

That's why myself and others have been saying for years that Marvel's best bet is to actively go after new fans rather than trying to appeal to those who are against diversity no matter how it's done.

Wacky theory time: New Thor is Steve Rogers turned into a girl as it was the only way to make him young again and save his life.

At this point I wouldn't put it past them.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by prismablue View Post
    That's a self fulfilling prophecy. With marvel's media machine behind it good new characters could sell when weaved into the marvel u.
    It's tough to tell. The Next Avengers animated movie didn't make much money, and it was using new characters. So would a Robbie Reyes movie do any better? Or would it actually wind up doing significantly worse? How well would a Young Avengers animated film sell? New characters could be added to things like the Avengers Alliance game, or that Marvel Heroes Bejeweled knock-off, but I don't think that would bring any more interest to the characters, and would probably just annoy people who'd rather see characters they know be added, instead. "Who's this Wiccan guy, and why haven't they added Beast yet?"

As far as just putting new characters into more comics, even that's a risky proposition. For one thing, you need to get writers wanting to use the characters. I can imagine Ms. Marvel popping up in plenty of places, because I can imagine a lot of writers being totally in love with her. But someone like Finesse from Avengers Academy? I doubt she's got a particularly large fan base even among other Marvel writers. And you also don't want to turn off readers - again, "Who's this Finesse chick, and why is Iron Man teaming up with her instead of with the Wasp?"

I think there's a niche group of readers who love new characters, with the majority of readers not caring about them, and just wanting to read the characters created in the '60s and '70s. I mean, hell, the top-selling X-title is All-New X-Men, a book literally about the '60s X-Men.

So I think saying that Marvel just needs to do more to promote new characters, while true, is also a bit simplistic. I think it goes beyond simply "be better at promotion."

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrebomb View Post
    What is with all the "secrecy" of her identity? They want to shove her down our throats, but they don't want to tell us who she is? Oh, right. She's Thor. Just some nonentity that can pick up that other guy's hammer.
    Yeah, that annoys me, too. It's a mystery for the sake of being a mystery. It's a stupid idea. I would have no problem if they didn't want to spoil anything before the first issue comes out, but they're saying that the entire first arc is going to keep her identity a mystery, and that feels like a stupid idea.

Can we please stop using the whole "shove down our throats" phrasing? Marvel isn't forcing us to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

Yeah, that annoys me, too. It's a mystery for the sake of being a mystery. It's a stupid idea. I would have no problem if they didn't want to spoil anything before the first issue comes out, but they're saying that the entire first arc is going to keep her identity a mystery, and that feels like a stupid idea.
    I can think of plenty of good story-telling reasons her identity would be kept a secret. It's not exactly a new trope in superhero comics. The stupid thing is to take a character who would do best with a slow reveal, and shout about her months before she even makes her debut. But Marvel really wants to make sure we all know how progressive they are!
    SHSO: Polite Earthen Despair

I can think of plenty of good story-telling reasons her identity would be kept a secret. It's not exactly a new trope in superhero comics. The stupid thing is to take a character who would do best with a slow reveal, and shout about her months before she even makes her debut. But Marvel really wants to make sure we all know how progressive they are!
    They did the exact same thing with Red Hulk. They also did it the Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by tacobongo View Post
    Can we please stop using the whole "shove down our throats" phrasing? Marvel isn't forcing us to do anything.

but stuff I don't like is in the book and then I read the book and see the stuff I don't like arrrgggghhh the torture. If only my head could turn a few degrees and pick another choice to read. Damn you Marvel and your evil

Ultimate Member

"What Ms. Marvel's rare 6th printing means for diversity in comics'

"Kamala Khan has enraptured the world as many times as she's saved it. Now, the plucky Pakistani-American teen who made history as the new Ms Marvel, comics' first ever lead Muslim superhero, is getting a rare sixth printing—and heralding a new era of diversity in comics...

...to put things in perspective, sixth printings are major milestones in the world of comics. Spider-Man Issue #583, the one with President Obama on the cover, only made it to a fifth printing despite making international headlines. Kamala now joins an elite lineup of bestselling comics that have performed beyond all expectations.

Many of these titles are genre classics and major issues in their respective franchises, including a number of prestigious Marvel titles:

-Wolverine, 1982
    -The New Mutants, Marvel graphic novel (1982)
    -Essential Spider-Man, Vol. 1 (1996)
    -Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 (1998)
    -Annihilation: Conquest, Book 2 (2007)
    -Avengers vs X-Men #1 (2012)

On the DC side, there are familiar faces as well:

-Batman Issue #416, "White Gold and Truth" (1988)
    -Superman / Batman, Issue #1, "Public Enemies" (2003)
    -Detective Comics #1 (2011)
    -Justice League #1 (2012)

Image Comics also has a roster of best-selling titles to make the sixth-printing milestone, including the first issue of Matt Fraction's The Sex Criminals and most issues of The Walking Dead. Other comics to get the lauded sixth printing include classics like Vertigo's Absolute Sandman as well as acclaimed translated titles like Dark Horse's Blacksad.

Of course, each of these comics feature men as the lead characters. Although female superheroes (and occasionally villains) have always been popular, they don't see the kind of mass popularity that their male counterparts have. At NewKadia, which sells back-issue comics series, Wonder Woman currently clocks in at #20, coming in behind arguably less culturally iconic male superheroes like Thor and Daredevil. After Wonder Woman, only Lois Lane and Archie vintage sweethearts Betty and Veronica appear in the top 100 sellers under their own titles.

That Ms Marvel is getting a sixth printing speaks to the increasing diversity of comics fandom as well as the growing number of women and supporters of multi-cultural storylines who are entering the fold..."

kamala.jpg

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/ms-marv...ixth-printing/

Invincible Member

Marvel is promoting the change because the general public has sorta heard of Thor they want people to buy the Thor comic. Why oh why do people keep saying that this is Marvel making some sort of feminist statement when they already have comics starring non-legacy/non-replacement females?

Why would Marvel think people in the real world is going to think that the temp hero is more "progressive" than BW or Electra? And if they were looking to be more progressive, wouldn't they be better off advertising in Mother Jones or something?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    That's not so much a promotion as fan art by a dude who's already well-known for not having the greatest outlook on women.
    Cho's an unabashed cheesecake artist, but I don't know that he has a problem with women...

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

"Kamala Khan has enraptured the world as many times as she's saved it. Now, the plucky Pakistani-American teen who made history as the new Ms Marvel, comics' first ever lead Muslim superhero, is getting a rare sixth printing—and heralding a new era of diversity in comics...

...to put things in perspective, sixth printings are major milestones in the world of comics. Spider-Man Issue #583, the one with President Obama on the cover, only made it to a fifth printing despite making international headlines. Kamala now joins an elite lineup of bestselling comics that have performed beyond all expectations.

Many of these titles are genre classics and major issues in their respective franchises, including a number of prestigious Marvel titles:

-Wolverine, 1982

Image Comics also has a roster of best-selling titles to make the sixth-printing milestone, including the first issue of Matt Fraction's The Sex Criminals and most issues of The Walking Dead. Other comics to get the lauded sixth printing include classics like Vertigo's Absolute Sandman as well as acclaimed translated titles like Dark Horse's Blacksad.

Of course, each of these comics feature men as the lead characters. Although female superheroes (and occasionally villains) have always been popular, they don't see the kind of mass popularity that their male counterparts have. At NewKadia, which sells back-issue comics series, Wonder Woman currently clocks in at #20, coming in behind arguably less culturally iconic male superheroes like Thor and Daredevil. After Wonder Woman, only Lois Lane and Archie vintage sweethearts Betty and Veronica appear in the top 100 sellers under their own titles.

That Ms Marvel is getting a sixth printing speaks to the increasing diversity of comics fandom as well as the growing number of women and supporters of multi-cultural storylines who are entering the fold..."

kamala.jpg

But, But...nobody wants these minority characters they keep shoving down our throats! Marvel/DC should stop trying to look PC! (sarcasm)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by tacobongo View Post
    Well according to the complainers-they are forcing us.

Any minority that is not background fodder is forcing something down our throats.

Miles Morales, Ms Marvel, Mighty Avengers & Storm with books on the same shelf as Wolverine is forcing.

Just trying to get new readers (or trying to bring back ones) with minorities is forcing something.

What they view as forcing is what I call trying to get new readers and stay alive in an industry that suffering an image problem and this outcry of complaints is not helping.

Marvel is promoting the change because the general public has sorta heard of Thor they want people to buy the Thor comic.
    And to avoid a John Stewart situation. You have Thor in a movie and tv show someone goes to the comic book store and see the female one. Same mess happened many times when Justice League was on.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But, But...nobody wants these minority characters they keep shoving down our throats! Marvel/DC should stop trying to look PC! (sarcasm)
    If she is hitting a sixth printing.either stores are selling out or that book is grossly being under ordered (on purpose). On purpose means you can jack up the price of the first printing for cash or you are trying to make that book fail and it's not working.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If she is hitting a sixth printing.either stores are selling out or that book is grossly being under ordered (on purpose). On purpose means you can jack up the price of the first printing for cash or you are trying to make that book fail and it's not working.
    When I see people saying stuff like Mighty A is always sold out at their LCS, I usually think, "I bet that store under ordered."

But I still think a 6th printing is good news for Ms Marvel and the case for new characters, female heroes, and minority leads. It shows that it's possible for these titles to be a success. Now the big question is, will the big 2 take a chance on more of these books, or will the do like Hollywood and just view it as a fluke?

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

-Wolverine, 1982

kamala.jpg

While I am not disputing the book is doing well and that is great, how are you making the leap to a new age of diversity? You are making connections that do not seem to be proven,