Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It can get annoying?

Yeah, annoying.

Really?

really.

Annoying?

Yeah, really annoying.

I guess I never thought about it like that.

Maybe you should.
    Lmao that's it. I honestly didn't notice it so much in his Daredevil run, but his Ultimate Spider-man run was notoriously all that~

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by la-femme-amelie View Post
    so much this. it's funny and effective if used selectively but it can get annoying fast.
    I survived years of Claremont's catch phrases, phonetic accents, and characters' endless angsty monologues. I survived reading Don McGregor's purple prose. I survived Walls of Text, Talking is a Free Action, and Expospeak. Bendis at his worst is a snap compared to those.

Claremont's characters were actually saying something. there was often a message being conveyed. Bendis dialogue is just there so he can put his name on the cover. the artists are doing the heavy lifting. revisit the Sentry arc. I was able to understand what was going on without actually reading the text.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Claremont's characters were actually saying something. there was often a message being conveyed. Bendis dialogue is just there so he can put his name on the cover. the artists are doing the heavy lifting. revisit the Sentry arc. I was able to understand what was going on without actually reading the text.
    As far as Claremont goes, I got tired around the 1000th "I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice." And the 1000th time he spelled I as "Ah" to indicate a Kentucky accent for Cannonball.

As far as understanding the story from the art, I don't consider that a weakness. If the art clearly shows that story (as the art should) then the dialogue can be used as flavor instead of explaining what is happening since the art isn't showing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    As far as Claremont goes, I got tired around the 1000th "I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice." And the 1000th time he spelled I as "Ah" to indicate a Kentucky accent for Cannonball.
    one is a character's catchphrase. only Logan used it. Bendis has every character say 'oy' whether they grew up in New York or didn't. same speech pattern; every character. it's as lazy as it gets.

As far as understanding the story from the art, I don't consider that a weakness.
    you might if you were the artist and were making half of Bendis' paycheck.

one is a character's catchphrase. only Logan used it. Bendis has every character say 'oy' whether they grew up in New York or didn't. same speech pattern; every character. it's as lazy as it gets.

It wasn't always that way. In his early Avengers issues the dialogue was quite engaging. The scene where the Avengers begin to question whether they failed Wanda, was well done with the artist moving the characters around the panels. I began to hate when it was the same drawing for 20 panels in one page saying slightly different sentences.

Astonishing Member

Dozens of Claremont characters had catchphrases. And they showed up everytime. it gets really, really, tiring.

If the artist not being compensated equitably is an issue for you, can you enjoy any silver age, bronze age, or 80s and 90s work for hire comics? If that is a deal breaker for you it must mean you hate all of Jack Kirby's through McFarlane/Jim Lee's work considering how they were cut out the profits.

Dozens of Claremont characters had catchphrases. And they showed up everytime. it gets really, really, tiring.
    he made the X-Men popular. part of it was the branding. *snikt* makes you think of______? *bub* makes you think of________? *by the goddess*_______? etc. he tried to set them all up as individuals. Bendis didn't like the Avengers or care about making them individuals; preferring to just place characters he did like into the team; giving them the bulk of the focus. part of it is that Bendis didn't create any of these characters; outside of Jessica Jones. he kind of sucks at creating characters. does anyone miss Nohvarr's girlfriend? how about Michael Pointer? i'll take a Stevie Hunter or a Moira Mactaggert over them any day of the week. and don't get me wrong. Claremont lost a lot of his magic in his later years. he's told some bendis level stories.

If the artist not being compensated equitably is an issue for you, can you enjoy any silver age, bronze age, or 80s and 90s work for hire comics? If that is a deal breaker for you it must mean you hate all of Jack Kirby's through McFarlane/Jim Lee's work considering how they were cut out the profits.
    huh? I'm not sure that what you just said really makes sense. Bendis isn't Jack Kirby in the analogy. my issue is Bendis' laziness. I think he didn't pull his own weight in the creative process. and, coincidentally, I'm not a big fanboy of the silver age stuff (I did like EC horror comics though).

As far as understanding the story from the art, I don't consider that a weakness. If the art clearly shows that story (as the art should) then the dialogue can be used as flavor instead of explaining what is happening since the art isn't showing it.
    Do you prefer Wolverine to talk this way?

I swear, he almost becomes Jerry Lewis for a minute there.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

What issue was this?
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

It was an issue of The Pulse. 8 or 9. Somewhere around.

On top of Wolverine talking in a way Wolverine would never talk, and describing what happened to him as rape to an actual rape victim, Wolverine then goes on to say that Luke Cage is one of the only four good people he knows, because EVERYBODY in Bendisworld loves Luke Cage!

What the ****.

Seriously, I'm really scared for Superman since Bendis is getting both Superman and Action Comics...

Please remember that in the 90s:
    1. Tony Stark was killed off and replaced by a teen version. pretty much the same thing with Riri.
    2. At different times, Captain America was a werewolf, cross dresser, wore a suit of powered armor, and worst of all was redesigned by Rob Liefeld.
    Better than a Nazi or replaced completely by bucky and falcon
    3. Peter Parker was the clone and lost his powers while Ben Reilly was the one true Spider-Man. Better than being replaced by Doc Ock
    4. X-Men were treated with such respect that the Chris Claremont and Louise Simonson were pushed out in favor of the artists who left less than 2 years later.
    Better than... screw it, X-Men have been a garbage fire for pretty much everything SINCE they dominated the 90's...
    5. The Fantastic Four had Reed Richards and Dr. Doom killed, with Ant Man leading the team in Reed's absence. Sounds like Future Foundation... only now Reed and Sue are both 'dead'.

7. Had writers like Howard Mackie and Terry Kavanaugh on their high profile titles.
    8. Howard Mackie and Terry Kavanaugh were main writers for Spider-Man. I really can't stress that enough.
    I don't know... Mackie at least was a pretty big name after making Ghost Rider a household name... don't remember his Spider-man work though.

9. Avengers had multiple books. When they went down to one book, we got the Crossing. Same as ever.
    11. Multiple X-Men main and supporting characters being forgotten in a rush to showcase "hot" characters like Gambit. Same as ever
    12. Wolverine losing his adamantium and devolving into a dog person. Same as ever... only now he's dead and replaced with an old version of himself and a female clone...
    13. Cable dying in the Executioner's Song. Wish that had stuck actually.
    14. Introducing the Maestro, a Bruce Banner/Hulk who is evil. Future Imperfect was an awesome storyline. Maestro has been overdone... and again, still being used now...

15. Thor being replaced by Eric Masterson
    Same as now... except Masterson was a better story. The whole 'mortal with the power of a GOD' was a great twist as opposed to Jane just being naturally awesome at everything.,

16. The Spider-Man line being bogged down by a storyline most readers hated that lasted for YEARSSame...
    17. Long running titles like X-Factor and Excalibur see a revolving door of increasingly worse writers until they are cancelled.
    18. The Inhumans moving from the moon to the Earth so they can be a bigger part of the MU.Same principle.

May the dark days of the 90s never return.[/QUOTE]

I think the main point is that the 'dark days of the 90's'... NEVER left. Big pouches have been replaced with busy armor/costume lines... but the gimmicks are the same as ever. Fake deaths, character switches, Enhanced covers and multiple varients. Heck, there are MORE variants now than there ever were in the 90's. Oh and the prices have skyrocketed. Everything that we complained about in the 90's, is still here just worse.

Even the cries of nostalgia are the same. Cap's armor, Evil Tony, mutated Wasp, Spider-clone... they were all legitimate pushes to take established characters in new an interesting directions... until the screams for the status quo got load enough and everything snapped back.

There were a LOT of great things in the 90's.. and frankly the whole collapse of quality was really just a COUPLE of years that spoiled people's opinions of the whole decade.

The 90's
    Last edited by phantom1592; 02-16-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    3. Peter Parker was the clone and lost his powers while Ben Reilly was the one true Spider-Man. Better than being replaced by Doc Ock
    nothing is better than Otto Octavius becoming Spider-man.