Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    That list reads of

“I DON’T LIKE CHANGE! SAME OLD ****! I DON’T LIKE CHANGE! SAME OLD ****!”
    Oh pish posh.

There are MUCH better ways to portray that!

Not that I'm lambasting people's states or anything, but I'm wondering just how much of this desire for the good ol days of the 90's (and 80's for almost everything else that's not comics) is legit passion for the stuff that came out, or if it's just wearing pristine Nostalgia goggles that makes one high and drugged on those childhood memories. Oftentimes whenever I see analyses looking at how stuff of today is of overall better quality or putting the flaws of the entertainment of those two decades under a microscope, there's a legion of people who take umbrage at them.

Marvel has had great comics every year. You just need to find what you like. It’s not that hard.

90s Xmen were FREKIN great. Up until Onslaught.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Eddie Brock also came back as Venom, but I can't help that think that he's being misused. Instead of all these crossovers and events, I want stories that really delve into Eddie and the symbiote. I know that stories like Venomverse and Venomized are because of the 30th anniversary and the new movie, but honestly, if they want to really celebrate Venom, give him an epic, multi-part Carnage story. Give us back some of the old supporting cast like Becky and the Life Foundation symbiotes. The series should focus on Venom stuff, not Venom and half a dozen guest stars.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Some of us didn’t read comics in the 90s, some weren’t even born. The problem with going back is that you end up rehashing the same old stories. This will work for a while but eventually people will get bored and you’ll have do another set of resurrections to bring back all the fans you lost with the first set.

For example you rejoice that wolverine is back, but the only Marvel book I buy is ANW so if ANW is cancelled that basically removes me from Marvel.

A lot of people are happy Bendis is gone but he’s responsible for creating some of the only new characters to have gained a measure of popularity. Without him Marvel are lacking a recklessly creative writer and I don’t know who at Marvel is capable of filling his shoes. This probably doesn’t matter to some as they are happy reading about the same people over and over again.

One More Day and AvX still happened.

Nothing has changed
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    It's one of the most interesting runs IMO all the way up to the Onslaught final issues with Pacheco's art.

People also forget FF #1 by Jim Lee was number one seller in 1996 at over 400,000 copies! Imagine that today!
    One reader's take...

Why would I want to imagine that? I am far happier reading more interesting titles that sell far less than that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I unironically like X-Force, although I might begrudging like it (and I'd argue Nicieza saves it from Liefeld and it vastly improves once Liefeld is off the book).
    Liefeld (as always) basically created some sterotyped version os pre-existing characters. Nicieza was the one who really transformed Cabe and X-Force into real, original characters. I consider him (and never Liefeld) the true creator of Cable and X-Force.

Peace

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So what’s the story behind namor’s ponytail?

At least they didn't had pouches to Namor's trunks or have him wear a bandolier.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Marvel has had great comics every year. You just need to find what you like. It’s not that hard.

90s Xmen were FREKIN great. Up until Onslaught.
    Yeah, there were great stories for a lot of Marvel characters. There were also some bad stories, but I just passed on them once I caught a whiff so I could pay more attention to the stuff I actually liked. The "90s were terrible!" thing is such a vague snapshot.

But I don't see Marvel going back to the 90s now at all. Maybe next year.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I must confess this is the first time I've seen the late 1990s/early 2000s characterized as an era of "greatness" for Marvel. My impression was that the company was in dire straits at that point (then again, it ALWAYS seems to be in dire straits).

For me, Marvel's glory days were 1977-1984.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by la-femme-amelie View Post
    We had this in the mid-90s

Attachment 61919

and Claremont's seminal X-Men work ended in the early 90s.
    This costume was worn one issues and Claremont came later back for short while also the X-men were mostly kept in his style until Morrison.

On the other hand DeFalco

I don't know much of DeFalco but his work seems similar to Bendis in the regards that he wanted to shack things up and made a lot of changes for the sake of changes. There are some characters like Hyperstorm or future Nathaniel Richards(the old one) which I find interesting but were rarely used again.

I came also across this : http://berkeleyplaceblog.com/2013/03...timate-retcon/
    Last edited by TakoM; 02-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I must confess this is the first time I've seen the late 1990s/early 2000s characterized as an era of "greatness" for Marvel. My impression was that the company was in dire straits at that point (then again, it ALWAYS seems to be in dire straits).

To be prefectly honest, my favourite era of Marvel is hands down the early 2000s. I mean, I'm definitely biased as a younger reader who started reading titles like Runaways, Sentinel and NYX (which I'll never change my opinion on, I might be nostalgia blind but that book did a lot of things right for its occasional mishaps), but I honestly think that Marvel had figured out how to balance creating new characters and titles and respecting the older ones. Looking at something like Brubaker's Captain America, they'd really hit a point where they knew how to do new things instead of the current situation where all "new" heroes are just different characters taking the same mantle and powers and veteran heroes are killed off and replaced only to be brought back and their replacements falling into comic book limbo. I don't even really read that much new Marvel anymore for those specific reasons. The only new characters getting any hold that I can think of are Moon Girl and Ms. Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    One More Day and AvX still happened.

Nothing has changed
    Honestly, I don't think OMD's impact is nearly half as noticable anymore. If you factor in the ASM newspaper strip and Renew Your Vows presently, I don't think there's ever been a year where Peter hasn't been married to MJ

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Same here, I see the late 90's and early 2000's WAY more on "worst era" lists than "great era" lists. I think it's cool that each era has its own fans for different reasons.

I like the time from Civil War to Siege a lot. The events flowed after each other in a natural and I was never so invested in the universe as a whole as I was during that time. I also really like the first Marvel Now launch, when they took a break from all the aforementioned universe-wide stories and put the focus back on individuals. Cap off in Dimension Z, Iron Man in space and Thor off-Earth doing his own thing all lead to some runs I loved. They put some space between their characters and it was a nice break from the previous years' focus on the 616 as a whole.

I think the OP may be referring to the all too brief "Heroes Return" era of 1998-2001. If so, I've long felt that that brief little Marvel era was a return to form and severely underrated historically. The highlight being Busiek and Perez's Avengers. That said, I'm 40, so I lived through the 90's. As much as I dislike most of the Quesada/Jemas era, 1993-1997 was Marvel's creative lowpoint. I strongly dislike how characterizations and continuity are both treated nowadays, but the technical quality of most modern comics are far superior to most 90's dreck.

For the record, Marvel's two greatest eras are: 1961-1970 and 1977-1986. When I think "Marvel" I think of those two era's. Nine years seems significant. After nine years of greatness, Marvel seems to undergo a Ragnarok cycle.