Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default The Terrifics can they out fantastic the 4?

Will DC's the Terrifics be able to out do the Fantastic Four? Personally I hope that the Terrifics will be everything I liked about the Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four & more,I want interdimensional exploration without the arrogance of Reed Richards plus a strong rivalry with Batman & an interesting relationship with Tom Strong.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Mighty Member

Default Terrifics Out Fantastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Will DC's the Terrifics be able to out do the Fantastic Four? Personally I hope that the Terrifics will be everything I liked about the Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four & more,I want interdimensional exploration without the arrogance of Reed Richards plus a strong rivalry with Batman & an interesting relationship with Tom Strong.
    Let's hope so because it's time for something different from DC that will stick with the fans as fickle as they are. The FF are trapped in fan expectations that the 4 can only operate as a family unit. Those expectations aren't there with the Terrifics and hopefully will launch these characters on to solo adventures later. I'm not real crazy about any Batman tie in but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for this thread. Hopefully it will generate a lot of positive chatter.

Hopefully Mr. Terrific gets some good super science feats. He could be DC’s Reed Richards but doesn’t have the stats to back it up. He’s obviously a great leader having lead the JSA and Checkmate but this is a good opportunity to showcase his genius.

No, because the only teams Lemire is good at writing are the ones in his creator owned work. DC should know better after what he did with Extraordinary X-Men. The only reason to read this is because of Reis and Shaner.

All I care about is whether I like the series or not; I'm not going to worry about comparing it to the Fantastic Four (or The Incredibles).

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Let's hope so because it's time for something different from DC that will stick with the fans as fickle as they are. The FF are trapped in fan expectations that the 4 can only operate as a family unit. Those expectations aren't there with the Terrifics and hopefully will launch these characters on to solo adventures later. I'm not real crazy about any Batman tie in but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for this thread. Hopefully it will generate a lot of positive chatter.
    What makes the FF the FF is the combination of cosmic adventure and family strife. It's very possible to have a book which focuses on cosmic explorers and adventurers who find new dimensions and travel where and whenever. Many of them are good. The FF family angle is what makes it stick out from most every superhero team out there. It doesn't have to be family, but if it isn't, why not just do the stories with Justice Whoevers or the Amazing Whateverers?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    No, because the only teams Lemire is good at writing are the ones in his creator owned work. DC should know better after what he did with Extraordinary X-Men. The only reason to read this is because of Reis and Shaner.
    That’s more on Marvel than Lemire.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    That’s more on Marvel than Lemire.
    Lemire’s never been good at teams to begin with, but he would get his own **** wrong. Justice League United wasn’t that great either.

Well, if issue 3 of Terrifics outsells Marvel Two-In-One #5 (i.e. April's issues), then the answer will be yes. Can't judge on the first couple of issues, which would be inflated by the #1 and novelty factor.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Hopefully Mr. Terrific gets some good super science feats. He could be DC’s Reed Richards but doesn’t have the stats to back it up. He’s obviously a great leader having lead the JSA and Checkmate but this is a good opportunity to showcase his genius.
    This is what I'm hoping for! Mr. Terrific is one of my all time favorite characters and I just want him to shine and show what he can do.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

I'm hoping the Terrifics is better than the FF plus I really would love that Batman has nothing to do with this book (It's DC & Batman must appear in the book) so I'm not holding my breath but I must admit I'm really curious about Tom Strong in this book,will the Science hero be the Doctor Doom to Michael Holt's Reed Richards or will he be like Mycroft Holmes to Mr. Terrific's Sherlock?
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I just want it to be good and do Mr. Terrific some justice. They can do all that other stuff later.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    That'd be cool and it'd be a good play for variety in DC's lineup. I'm interested in Plastic Man and Terrific heading into this so I'll see if they can interest me in the other team members.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm hoping this book is a success, but I don't think it will be better than the FF
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Fantastic Member

Regarding Lemire and hero teams, I enjoyed his Justice League Dark run, though I don’t know what the general consensus is on that one.

I feel like a lot of my issues with his Extraordinary X-men run were likely influenced by outside parties. Here he shouldn’t have dc breathing down his neck since he’s only writing b-list characters. Plus, this is only a team of four, which shouldn’t be too difficult to manage.

I feel like what will make or break this series for me is the tone. He has to get that right. I mean, he’s writing plastic man so there needs to be some fun with the adventure. That’s my one concern as the tone is hard to gauge from the preview without seeing the full cast of characters.
    Last edited by soundsci; 02-09-2018 at 12:50 PM.